Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *blackbriar246's SAW review*

Shadow at the Water’s Edge

Hey everybody! It’s been too long! Xbox LIVE sucked all my time up, but when I heard that HER was making a seriously creepy ND game, I had to try it out.
    First Impressions: I heard a little bit of hype about this game, and while most of it turned out to be true, some of it didn’t. I tried to avoid info about the game though, so I came in as neutral as possible.
    Pros: Neat setting, beautiful music, some seriously creepy parts.
    Cons: Some puzzles bordered on impossible, things could be done out of order early on but messed you up later, figuring out what to do can be tricky.
    Characters: The characters were pretty nice, but some of them you only talk to a few times.
    Miwako Shimizu: You’ll talk to her quite a bit, and her stubbornness gets irritating fast. I got the feeling that you were supposed to sympathize with her, but I found it difficult to.
    Yumi Shimizu: She starts off annoying, but she grows on you. Too bad you don’t talk to her very much.
    Rentaro Aihara: He’s adorable. He would have been my favorite ND character ever, if it wasn’t for that mean streak…
    Takae Nagai: She. Speaks. So. Slowly. I was ready to rip my hair out. And if you messed up on one of her lessons, she freaking snapped at you!
    There are a few other people that you speak to on the phone, but they don’t really count. I give the characters a 7 out of 10. Super annoying at times, with the way they all keep clamming up right before they say something important, but they are very believable as characters.

The Puzzles: 99.9% of the puzzles in this game can be summed up in one word: hard. There are very few puzzles in SAW that I got through with no trouble. I cheated in this game more than any other, I think. The bathroom nanogram took me over an hour, even with cheating. And I don’t see how anyone could have figured out the net puzzle. I’d say that the puzzles here were a little bit too hard; many were just beyond my intelligence. A 6 out of 10.
    The Soundtrack: I love the soundtrack. Especially Kasumi’s theme. Gorgeous. The music did loop a lot, but I didn’t mind. A 9 out of 10.
    The Graphics/Setting: Very nice graphics. Sometimes character’s movements looked a little stiff, but overall the animation was great. Navigating the train station could be frustrating, the expo center was disappointingly small, and the ryokan has a few empty hallways. Maybe it was just me, but I felt like the environment was a bit on the small side. Not small enough to bother me, but it could have been bigger. The ryokan is creepy, though. A 7 out of 10.
    The Gameplay: Grading papers was cool, but after a while the papers stopped appearing in my folder. What up with that? Certain things couldn’t be done before or after a certain time, and I ended up trekking to my room to burn some time sleeping more often than I wanted to. I never quite got the hang of navigating the hallways, and I got turned around quite a bit. At the beginning of the game I did some stuff out of order, and that messed me up near the end. This game has some pretty wicked jump scares and scary scenes; I can think of about four. I will say this though: you’ll jump, but it’s not edge-of-your-seat terror. Catch my drift? A 7 out of 10.
    The Ending: Can’t say I was surprised. I guessed the culprit about halfway through the game. The culprit was the only suspect with a real motive. But I was super excited to see that there are sorta-almost two endings. They aren’t majorly different, but they change Nancy’s end monologue. One is meh, the other is sad. Actually catching the culprit can be easy or hard, depending on how your brain works. I had to cheat. A 5 out of 10. Not very exciting, and too obvious.
    Creep-o-meter: 9 out of 10. Scariest game yet. The bathroom scene really freaked me out (I was playing it at night with the lights out).
    Overall: Great for some scares, but super-duper hard. Characters can be annoying, area seemed like it was lacking something, and the culprit was obvious. But I thought that this game was a step in the right direction. An 8 out of 10. Best game in a while.
    In a Nutshell: If you can play the scarier ND games without a problem and you don’t mind stretching your brain a bit, this is the game for you. If you scare easily, you may want to pass.
    ** Thoughts are appreciated!

WHAT HURTS THE MOST
    Is when people you know, become people you knew.
    When someone can walk right by you, like they
    were never a big part of your life. «. , , . • ´
    . . . . And there is nothing you can do.

"More and more I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for.
    For a future without fear?
    Yeah, it's worth it."
    -Chris Redfield, Resident Evil 5

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails.

My latest game review:
    SAW

Good review.

Hopefully, you can elaborate on the SAW game discussion board on "At the beginning of the game I did some stuff out of order, and that messed me up near the end."
    ~~ LadyLinda ~~ -----
    LINKS...ND20+ Easter Eggs & Glitchs...CAP Phone Charms...ND Game Extras...TMB Phone Charms

Comment

I agree with LadyLinda, good review!
      You definitely put a lot of effort into this and it was nice hearing your opinions! I agree, there was definitely hear-pulling moments! (but those are my favorite kind ;)
      `;',.><

THE STORY OF HEROES AND THIEVES
      my next ae, coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLinda View Post
        Hopefully, you can elaborate on the SAW game discussion board on "At the beginning of the game I did some stuff out of order, and that messed me up near the end."
        It's done! Posted the topic just now.

WHAT HURTS THE MOST
        Is when people you know, become people you knew.
        When someone can walk right by you, like they
        were never a big part of your life. «. , , . • ´
        . . . . And there is nothing you can do.

"More and more I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for.
        For a future without fear?
        Yeah, it's worth it."
        -Chris Redfield, Resident Evil 5

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails.

My latest game review:
        SAW

Comment

Working...
        X