• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [¤] The Captive Curse - ĸιra's review [¤]

T h eC
    a p t i v eC u r s e
    ...............................×´¨¯¨`+.¸
    ........¸.·´¨¯¨`+.¸.........`·-x.........`·.,
    .......(.......x·-·´..........x...............),.+´¨¯¨`×........
    ........`+.,...................`+.,¸__¸,.×´...............
    ........¸.·´¨¯¨`·.................•´¨¯¨`•.......x..............).
    .......(......x...`•.,¸__¸,.•´......x·-´.......`×.,¸_,.+´
    .........*·-·´...

..................Plot &
    Setting
    .....................[[x]] The fact that this game was in a spooky German castle near the woods
    .....................[[x]]
    was great fun and a great setup for a mystery. The castle is being terrorized
    by a legendary monster and everyone is afraid of it. The game takes place in
    one night (which I actually don't like, but I guess I'll bypass that), and there's
    .....................[[x]] plenty of places for you, as Nancy, to explore. The plot itself was well thought
    .....................[[x]] out and there was rarely any confusion. There are a couple of loose ends that
    .....................[[x]] were not tied up, however. HER should spend a little more time thinking about
    .....................[[x]] how to explain some unasnwered questions in the game. But overall, the plot
    .....................[[x]] and setting were great! Pretty much just the way I like them!

........................................... .Suspects &
    Phone Friends
    .................................................. .[[x]] There was a good variety of different characters in this game! Karl, the
    ............................................... ...[[x]] Burgermeister is a slightly paranoid man who's quite funny and
    a very
    ............................................... ...[[x]] unique character. Anja, who runs the gift shop, is very helpful to Nancy
    .................................................. .[[x]] and answers a lot of her questions. Renate, a mysterious, odd recurring
    .................................................. .[[x]] visitor of the castle, is intriguing and has a mysterious past. Lukas, the
    .................................................. .[[x]] Head of Security's son, is a cute kid who likes to play games and pull
    .................................................. .[[x]] pranks on Karl and, to her dismay, Nancy Drew. Markus, whom Nancy
    .................................................. .[[x]] communicates with over the phone, is the castle's owner who seems
    .................................................. .[[x]] to have some anger issues. All five of these suspects either acts very
    .................................................. .[[x]] suspicious or has a clear motive, so you'll be guessing until the end!
    .................................................. .[[x]] Phone friends, Ned Nickerson and Frank Hardy, are both helpful and
    ............................................... ...[[x]] quite entertaining to talk to! There's even a little subplot that involves
    .................................................. .[[x]] these two, which I (unlike some players) happened to enjoy for once!
    .................................. ...............................
    Puzzles &
    Snooping
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] I adored the puzzles in this game. Pretty much all of them were hard enough
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] to keep you working on them for a little while, but easy enough that you rarely
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] need hints, a spoiler, or a walkthrough. That's just the way I like Nancy Drew
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] puzzles! I can only think of one that had me a little frustrated. I probably should
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] also mention that I cannot think of a single "task" in this game. (Other than your
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] only option for earning money, Karl's game "Raid"). This game was generally
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] task free, which is a great change that many ND players have been asking for!
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] As for snooping, I think this game had a good amount of poking around where
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] you're not supposed to be! There were several situations where Nancy had to
    .................................................. ............................[[x]] go through people's things and was in danger of being caught at any moment!

..................... .Scare Factor
    .................................................. .[[x]] This game actually had my cousins (who I played it with for the
    ............................................... ...[[x]] first time) and I quite scared! There were three defined scary moments
    .................................................. .[[x]] that had us jumping, squealing with fright, and, to my embarassment,
    ............................................... ...[[x]] covering our eyes. (Hey, we were playing at 4:00 in the morning. Give me

.................................................. .[[x]] a break!) There were also plenty of areas in the game where the tension
    .................................................. .[[x]] was high and we feared that something could happen at any moment!
    .................................................. .[[x]] This game definitely goes up on the list with the other scary ND games
    .................................................. .[[x]] like CUR and SAW! However, it's not as scary the second time you
    ............................................... ...[[x]] play. I'd say it's mostly scary the first time because you don't know what's
    .................................................. .[[x]] about to happen. But, I enjoyed the scare factor in CAP nonetheless!

..................Length
    .....................[[x]] This game took us approximately eight and a half hours to play. I found it to be a good length.
    .....................[[x]] Some people say it's long, some people say it's short, but I thought it was a near perfect
    length.
    .....................[[x]] Even when you replay it, it takes quite a long time to finish. There's just that much
    to do in it
    .....................[[x]] before the end! We played from 9:30 PM to 4:30 AM straight the first time and still didn't finish
    .....................[[x]] it that night. So I say that if you're concerned about the length, don't be!

................................................Overall
    .................................................. ...[[x]] Overall I very much enjoyed this game. I only have a couple of cons. As
    .................................................. ...[[x]] I mentioned, I found "Raid", Karl's board game, very long and boring.
    .................................................. ...[[x]] It being a game of mostly chance, it took forever just to get through
    one
    .................................................. ...[[x]] round. Another thing I didn't like very much about this game was the
    .................................................. ...[[x]] ending/culprit. (Don't worry, no spoilers here!) I found the culprit a little
    .................................................. ...[[x]] lame (I think it was his/her motive, mostly), and the way you catch the
    .................................................. ...[[x]] culprit is very old fashioned and much too easy. But these things aside, I
    .................................................. ...[[x]] loved this game and will definitely play it again! I give it a 9/10! (That's
    .................................................. ...[[x]] very good because I wouldn't give a 10/10 unless there were a game
    .................................................. ...[[x]] with some extra spectacular aspect to it.) I absolutely recommend The
    .................................................. ...[[x]] Captive Curse and I applaud HerInteractive for a job well done!

........¸.·´¨¯¨`+.¸..
    .......(.......x·-·´...
    ........`+.,...........
    ........¸.·´¨¯¨`·.................•´¨¯¨`•..
    .......(......x...`•.,¸__¸,.•´......x·-´...
    .........*·-·´...

Coverpage, swirlies, colors, ect. all by me.
    Last edited by HintMaster11; July 26, 2011, 08:26 PM.
    ….…[]
    .-==-.
    | || ..-÷-.
    All of time and space; everywhere and
    |□ |□| ( *∙-∙´¸.-÷-.¸
    anywhere; every star that ever was.
    |□ |□|`∙--∙´…_…`∙.¸∙*¨¯¨*∙.
    '--┴-'
    … ..∙*¨¯¨*∙¸,.∙´_…*∙-∙´ Where do you want to start?
    ..∙´……………(….…( `∙¸…………¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸
    (_¸.∙´¨¯¨`∙¸
    …_…`∙¸_…`∙-∙’·.,¸_¸,.·*´……*·-·´
    ………©_*∙.,¸_¸,.∙*

Great review! I agree with you exactly!
    `;',.><

THE STORY OF HEROES AND THIEVES
    my next ae, coming soon

Comment

Stupendous Review!
      ..............,·¨¯¨*·.¸
      ...................`·-·*....)¸.·*¨¯¨*·,
      ....................¸·´.......*·-·´
      Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

great job! i can tell that you took the time to write an in-depth review. Alsoo, it was a beautiful layout. Thanks for sharing your views!
        reps !
        - kate (:
        peace
        it does not mean to be in a place
        where there is no noise, trouble
        or hard work. it means to be in
        the midst of those things and still
        be calm in your heart.

Comment

Working...
        X