• Show
Clear All

• anirtak59
    replied
    Great Review! Reps given!

Leave a comment:

• Songlily
    replied
    Thanks for reading! Yes, I've seen a plethora of opinions about the music...some people, like you, really seemed to like it! For me, playing CAP on the heels of SAW was unfortunate, because SAW [in my humble opinion] has some of the best music of the series. The music in CAP suffered from comparison. My main beef is that it did not seem to grow creepy/suspenseful when it should have. But I'm glad you enjoyed it while playing!

Leave a comment:

• MysteryEye
    replied
    That was an amazing review, Songlily! Well-written, to the point and thorough. I have to disagree on the music, though, I liked it!

I really enjoyed this part of your review--
    CAP also thrusts you into this weird space between history, legend, and the contemporary world. The castle is a throwback to Germany's history and its myths, but business concerns and security alerts ground the game in present technology. It's an odd limbo, and by the end, you're left sorting out the role of history and legend in preserving and furthering the present. Good stuff to chew on.

Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to review CAP. ~Jas

Leave a comment:

• Songlily
    started a topic [+]----» A CAP Review!

[+]----» A CAP Review!

The Captive Curse
    A review by Songlily

Mode:
    Senior Detective

Plot
    A German businessman invites you as Nancy Drew to sort out the horrific monster
    sightings at Castle Finster before the ancient legend drives away his customers.
    By unearthing the secrets of the castle and its residents, you hope to unmask
    this monster. But will you survive the night at Castle Finster, or will you become
    the monster's next victim?

HeR did a great job of finding a plot we haven't seen ten times before.
    A bit convoluted, but engaging nonetheless. Had they wrapped up the
    loose ends, it would have been perfect. By the end, I did not feel like I knew the
    whole story, though the ending itself was decent [not great, but decent].

Setting, Graphics, & Music
    Thank you, HeR, for once again testing my navigational skills! Castle Finster is
    roomy and mazelike, with a wealth of staircases, passages, and more than
    one way to get everywhere. It is what Castle Malloy and Bolet Manor should
    have been in terms of capaciousness. The Castle is a bit short on rooms,
    but I was more than satisfied with the amount of ground to cover, and having
    a small trail outside made the whole game less claustrophobic. Setting graphics
    are brilliant and detailled; character graphics are back to what I consider
    HeR's best [though some of the dubbing is off]. Music is mostly forgettable.

Scare Factor & Suspense
    After SAW, CAP seems pretty tame, but I was startled a few times. Perhaps because
    of the music, the game lacks true suspense, though the fear of getting caught is
    subtlely present!

Time & Gameplay
    CAP is another endless night game [like HAU and CRY], though it's not nearly
    as gloomy. It's not as sequential as some other games, so I didn't find myself bored
    because I felt there was always something to do next; I was never waiting on
    anyone or anything. And I'd like to point out that it's now been four games
    in a row without third-person gameplay!

Info & Learning
    I needed a fair number of notebook pages for this game, which is always
    a sign of an engaging mystery. While there are some German vocab words to
    pick up, most of the learning involves legends and fairytales, but that fits the
    mood of the game. And best of all, not all of it is relevant! I definitely hopped
    down more than one rabbit trail.

CAP also thrusts you into this weird space between history, legend, and the
    contemporary world. The castle is a throwback to Germany's history and its myths,
    but business concerns and security alerts ground the game in present technology.
    It's an odd limbo, and by the end, you're left sorting out the role of history and
    legend in preserving and furthering the present. Good stuff to chew on.

Characters & Phone Friends
    HeR has really stepped up to the plate with their characters in the most
    recent games. CAP is no exception. The characters have distinct personalities
    and hidden secrets; you really feel as if you get to know them. On the CAP
    post-game discussion boards, I read posts like "so-and-so wouldn't do something
    like that" or "that would be out of character." Rarely do we get to know the
    characters well enough to make these definitive statements. So bravo, HeR!
    Also, yes, there is another child character, and he's irresistable. Definitely a treat.
    Phone friends are satisfactory and provide not a few laughs. Some drama occurs,
    but I [mostly] understand why HeR included it. Does not ruin the game.

Snooping
    CAP is a snooper's dream come true. Snooping drives the plot and really is the
    most prevalent activity in the game. Props to HeR for listening!

Puzzles, Games & Activities
    As aforementioned, snooping is the primary plot engine rather than puzzles.
    Rather refreshing, really. But do not fear--there are some puzzles for you
    puzzle fans, and two intricate mini-games for you gamers. I think the puzzles are
    just right on the difficulty scale, though I wish Nancy hadn't been so forthcoming
    in her helpful comments. Still, I'm satisfied. And the best part? No chores! Yes, that's
    what I said. You didn't hear me wrong. No. Chores.

Overall
    CAP is a fun game, and it took me longer than I expected. I have heard
    complaints of its lack of difficulty, so I'd suggest playing the game on Senior for
    better value. Overall, it has many characteristics of the older games while retaining
    the best parts of the newest mysteries. A bit of plot-polishing, and CAP
    would be one of my favorites.

9.0/10
    Last edited by Songlily; July 31, 2011, 10:17 AM.
Working...
X