Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAP Review

The Captive Curse: released in June 2011

Based on the Book: Captive Witness (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #64, published in 1981)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not closely at all. A very brief part of the book takes place in Germany (the rest takes place in Austria) and that is the end of the similarities. However, I think this is a very good thing, as I thought the book was pretty bad.

The Mystery/Crime: Is there really a monster lurking around a German castle?

Mode Of Transportation: N/A (Nancy stays in and nearby the castle and so she walks everywhere)

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: German language and culture

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is hired by the owner of a castle in a small German town to investigate recent events that are being attributed to the town's legendary monster and are scaring the townspeople and driving tourists away.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Anja Mittelmeier - the castellan (person in charge of the guests at the castle)
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Ricki Lake (if she can do a German accent)

2. Karl Weschler - the castle's burgermeister (mayor)
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Christoph Waltz

3. Lukas Mittelmeier - the prank-loving son of the castle's security guard
    (I don't do the actor thing for kids, as whoever I choose will be too old soon)

4. Renate Stoller - an elderly storyteller
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Ellen Burstyn (if she can do the accent)

Phone Characters:

1. Frank and Joe Hardy - Nancy's friends

2. Jordan - lady who works at "Castle Cast," which is the company that does hiring for the castle

3. Marcus Boehm - the castle's owner

4. Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend

Other characters:

Franz Mittelmeier - the castle's security guard and Lukas's dad

The monster

My favorite quotes:

"A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor - now that's what you want." - Renate

"No thank you, we already have one!" - Lukas

"No one likes lederhosen. Look at these...all of these straps and hooks and what-have-you. It's like I can't be trusted to keep my shirt on." - Karl

"You guys are always like, "Remember when we were chased by that abominable snowman that really turned out to be an international art thief and also a spy?" - Ned

"Who taught you how to drive? Was it the stupidest dog on earth?" - Marcus

"Well, (dungeons) didn't always exist. So one day someone had to say, "You know, the living room is nice and the kitchen's great, very convenient, don't get me wrong, but you know what would really spruce up the place? Our own private jail." - Ned

"You are part of this story now." - Renate

"Dear Nancy Drew, I am glad you and Ned are back together. You go together like peanut butter and jelly. When you're apart, it's like peanut butter and sadness. Or jelly and uncomfortable silences. Either way, you're looking at a sandwich that no one wants, and probably no one will buy it ever... A world where Ned and Nancy aren't together as a couple is as disturbing as it is dangerous to the quantum makeup of our interstellar plane of reality." - a note that Joe wrote to Nancy and makes Frank read to her

My Thoughts: I love, love, love this game! It's definitely one of my favorites. I'd say it's my second favorite of them all. I can't remember for sure because it's been so long, but I'm guessing that I probably wasn't too excited about this one the first time I played because monsters aren't really my thing and because I don't really care for the sound of the German language. However, I ended up being very pleasantly surprised and it's now one of my faves. I even learned a few German words I like!

I love the plot of this game and how the monster legend is integrated into it. I also love how smoothly the plot progresses throughout the game.

The characters are great in this game. Lukas is my absolute favorite character of all the games - what a funny kid! The thing I liked most about the characters in this game is that they actually move around and go different places instead of just staying in one spot the entire game. Not only does this make the game more realistic but I feel it makes it more entertaining as well. I also think the dialogue in this game is amazing.

I also liked that this game focused on finding/using objects, exploring, and interrogating rather than being a game of nothing but puzzle after puzzle.

I think Monster and Raid are fun games.

I really don't have anything negative to say about this game. I do wish it were easier to get coins in order to buy the stuff in the gift shop, but since that's not essential I won't consider it a negative.

My random comment: I don't understand why it was so important for Anja to get her job and why Nancy gushes about it being such a cool job. Anja says her job is to be in charge of guest services. That basically means she does things like working the front desk handing out keys, working the cash register in the gift shop, bringing guests extra towels, and dealing with high-maintenance/demanding guests yelling at her, all while wearing that uncomfortable dirndl. Doesn't sound like that great of a job to me...

My Rating: 10/10
Working...
X