Captivated by the Creature of Kapu Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captivated by the Creature of Kapu Cave

The first time I played this game was in 2007, and it was the 6th Nancy Drew game that I’d played. The previous ones that I’d played had been the first 5, so this game had struck me with initial surprise because of how modernized it seemed. I remember liking it and playing again it still is a decent Nancy Drew game, though it does have some drawbacks.

The major fun part about this game is playing as both Nancy and the Hardy Boys, and they’re sort of investigating two different mysteries. Nancy Drew’s figuring out who trashed Quigley Kim’s camp while the Hardy Boys are completing a secretive background check on the owners and operators of Big Island Mike’s immersion excursion. Of course the mysteries end up connecting to each other, but I love the equal distribution of tasks between the two parties and the different locations associated with each detective.

There are two characters on each end of the mystery, and all four of these characters contribute to the downsides of this game. They’re all sort of blah and forgettable. Nancy associates with Dr. Quigley Kim and Dr. Malachi Craven. Dr. Kim improves as the game wears on but at first she’s kind of mean and over the top bossy. Dr. Craven has anger issues and despite how he “opens up” during the game, it isn’t enough for me to like him. The Hardy Boys associate with Mike Mapu and his teenage daughter Pua. Mike is the most obnoxious character. In the beginning, there are long dialogues about his superstitions and his brilliant business that make listening to him unbearable. Pua is the best character in the game. She’s cheery and is the only person who’s not annoying. The worse part of these characters is that none of them really ever develop in a way that causes you to understand them better. There’s very little depth to them or any of their motives.

Despite the characters in this game being poor, the story line itself is very strong. I love that this game isn’t dependent on solving trivial puzzles in order to progress the game. Most of the game progressions result from Nancy or the Hardy Boys completing a realistic task. Nancy is completing assignments outlined by Quigley, and the Hardy Boys are talking with Pua and Mike and pursuing leads about them.

I really like Nancy’s part of the setting, but I’m disappointed by the Hardy Boys’ end. Nancy drives a jeep around different locations on the island of Hawaii, and I love that all of the different locations appear as GPS spots when you’re choosing between them. There’s a lot to see when you’re playing as Nancy. The Hardy Boys only move around Big Island Mike’s Immersion Excursions. I’m not saying that I wish that the Hardy Boys had a car and were able to move around too. What I’m disappointed about is so little that is seen of the excursion center. There’s the main office, the outside patio, the beach and that’s pretty much it. If this were an actual tourism place, it would get crowded really quickly. It would have been cool if there was more of the beach to explore and you could see where the Hardy Boys were staying. I would have also loved to see at least one other person that was participating in this “immersion excursion”.

There are some fun activities that you are able to do as the Hardy Boys. The Hardy Boys collect shells and make necklaces. They are able to snorkel and fish (the fishing interface bears striking resemblance to the one in the Secret of the Old clock). The fishing and the necklaces earn them money so that they can buy shave ice and play the Wiki Tiki game, which is a gamified version of Rock Paper Scissors. All of these activities serve as great in-game breaks from working on the mystery.

The Creature of Kapu Cave levels out as an average Nancy Drew game. It lacks quality characters and some setting, but it has a great plot and unique story progression. I would recommend it because of its story progression as there are few Nancy Drew games like this one that rely more on completing mystery-related tasks rather than puzzles.
    Last edited by K<3M; January 21st, 2019, 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    I discovered that Secrets can Kill. I Stayed Tuned for Danger. I read the Message in a Haunted Mansion. I uncovered the Treasure in a Royal Tower. I watched the Final Scene. I washed away the Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I pet the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I rode the Haunted Carousel. I dodged the Danger on Deception Island. I lassoed the Secret of Shadow Ranch. I overcame the Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I unwound the Secret of the Old Clock. I traveled on the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I unveiled the Danger by Design. I captured the Creature of Kapu Cave. I discussed politics with the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I unearthed the Legend of the Crystal Skull. I unmasked the Phantom of Venice. I exposed the Haunting of Castle Malloy. I paid the Ransom of the Seven Ships. I heeded the Warnings of Waverly Academy. I chased the Trail of the Twister. I stood in the Shadow at the Water’s Edge. I shattered the Captive Curse. I upheld the Alibi in Ashes. I opened the Tomb of the Lost Queen. I condemned the Deadly Device. I sang to the Ghost of Thornton Hall. I did justice for the Silent Spy.

This review came out at a perfect time; I just replayed this game this weekend.

I love your review! You make some great points.

Originally posted by K<3M View Post
    The major fun part about this game is playing as both Nancy and the Hardy Boys, and they’re sort of investigating two different mysteries. Nancy Drew’s figuring out who trashed Quigley Kim’s camp while the Hardy Boys are completing a secretive background check on the owners and operators of Big Island Mike’s immersion excursion. Of course the mysteries end up connecting to each other, but I love the equal distribution of tasks between the two parties and the different locations associated with each detective. I appreciated this fact about the game more in this playthrough than before. It is neat that their mysteries relate to each other, and as you said, the investigation is pretty evenly divided between them.

There are two characters on each end of the mystery, and all four of these characters contribute to the downsides of this game. They’re all sort of blah and forgettable. I kind of agree. They're not super fun characters, but they're a little interesting to talk to.

Despite the characters in this game being poor, the story line itself is very strong. I love that this game isn’t dependent on solving trivial puzzles in order to progress the game. Most of the game progressions result from Nancy or the Hardy Boys completing a realistic task. Nancy is completing assignments outlined by Quigley, and the Hardy Boys are talking with Pua and Mike and pursuing leads about them. I didn't think about this much, but you're right! The puzzles make sense in context...well, most of them. The last one, not so much.

I really like Nancy’s part of the setting, but I’m disappointed by the Hardy Boys’ end. Nancy drives a jeep around different locations on the island of Hawaii, and I love that all of the different locations appear as GPS spots when you’re choosing between them. There’s a lot to see when you’re playing as Nancy. The Hardy Boys only move around Big Island Mike’s Immersion Excursions. I’m not saying that I wish that the Hardy Boys had a car and were able to move around too. What I’m disappointed about is so little that is seen of the excursion center. There’s the main office, the outside patio, the beach and that’s pretty much it. If this were an actual tourism place, it would get crowded really quickly. It would have been cool if there was more of the beach to explore and you could see where the Hardy Boys were staying. I would have also loved to see at least one other person that was participating in this “immersion excursion”. I thought the same thing this time. They kind of do towards the end, but I too would have liked if the Hardy Boys got to explore a little more.

There are some fun activities that you are able to do as the Hardy Boys. The Hardy Boys collect shells and make necklaces. They are able to snorkel and fish (the fishing interface bears striking resemblance to the one in the Secret of the Old clock). The fishing and the necklaces earn them money so that they can buy shave ice and play the Wiki Tiki game, which is a gamified version of Rock Paper Scissors. All of these activities serve as great in-game breaks from working on the mystery. I usually enjoy playing these games, too. It's just too bad that there's a point where you have to do the activities, even if you just want to move on. That's my only gripe. :)

The Creature of Kapu Cave levels out as an average Nancy Drew game. It lacks quality characters and some setting, but it has a great plot and unique story progression. I would recommend it because of its story progression as there are few Nancy Drew games like this one that rely more on completing mystery-related tasks rather than puzzles. Nicely said!
    I think your review is very fair, and I love that you mentioned some positives to this game that I haven't seen most reviewers (even myself) bring up. Very well done!
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Thank you for your input!
      I discovered that Secrets can Kill. I Stayed Tuned for Danger. I read the Message in a Haunted Mansion. I uncovered the Treasure in a Royal Tower. I watched the Final Scene. I washed away the Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I pet the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I rode the Haunted Carousel. I dodged the Danger on Deception Island. I lassoed the Secret of Shadow Ranch. I overcame the Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I unwound the Secret of the Old Clock. I traveled on the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I unveiled the Danger by Design. I captured the Creature of Kapu Cave. I discussed politics with the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I unearthed the Legend of the Crystal Skull. I unmasked the Phantom of Venice. I exposed the Haunting of Castle Malloy. I paid the Ransom of the Seven Ships. I heeded the Warnings of Waverly Academy. I chased the Trail of the Twister. I stood in the Shadow at the Water’s Edge. I shattered the Captive Curse. I upheld the Alibi in Ashes. I opened the Tomb of the Lost Queen. I condemned the Deadly Device. I sang to the Ghost of Thornton Hall. I did justice for the Silent Spy.

Comment

Working...
      X