Clear All

• What I Really Thought: CRE Edition

..........................................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:

The Creature o f Kapu Cave

Edition

Finally, I am back! Just in time for one of my least favorite games….joy :P

Plot

So Nancy has been hired to assist entomologist Quigly Kim at her camp in Hawaii. Why? I don't know, just go with it. When you arrive you find the Hardy boys, and then you find the camp in shambles, and then you find out that something is wrong with the pineapple crop, and the...ah who am I kidding, this plot is a mess.

Normally when I write reviews, I try to put a little summery of the plot at the beginning to get people pumped up, but it just isn't even possible this time. The storyline is all over the place. And when you finish the game, you're still left with loose strings. It's a shame.

Plus the title is deceiving because the game has nothing to do with a creature and very little to do with a cave.

2/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics and Setting

Some of the facial movements were nice but for most of the characters, the eyes seemed a little dead. The main issue here is the cartoony look that plagued the characters, particularly Frank Hardy.
    Speaking of the Hardys, they look completely different than the last time we saw them in TRN. In my opinion, it was a serious downgrade and I really wish that they wouldn't have done it.

The setting is gorgeous, although where you are is determined by who you're playing (similar to CRY) As Nancy, you spend a lot of time clicking from place to place with out much activity in between.

4.5/10

Puzzles

There was only one puzzle in this game that I found somewhat fun. That's all, just the one. The rest were really more like chores. In fact, some of them are chores. The puzzles and the plot are really my main issues with the game.

I give them 2/10

Characters

There was only one character in this game that I somewhat liked. That's it, just the one. The others were just so incredibly blah but that might have been because you don't get to interact with them much. We even have another older man which a raspy voice and a harsh personality. We can add him to the list with Dexter Egan (TRT), Red Knott (GDML), Holt Scotto (DDI), and Tex Britten (SHA)

I do not care for switching characters. I like to be immersed in the game as Nancy and to keep switching back and forward was not a positive.

3/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

In my honest opinion: worst-ending-ever. The stuff leading up to the ending is a little ridiculous and the ending itself is more luck than strategy. Plus the culprit was an odd choice. Just plain bad.

I give it 0/10

Overall
    This game is missing the most important thing: fun! Maybe if it was actually fun, I'd be able to over look some of the other issues (as I can with TRN). As it stands, I just don't think this game is very good. But please, I encourage you to play it for yourself and form your own opinion. You might love it and want to come and post your own review

Overall score: 2/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 0/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 4/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; June 19, 2010, 11:33 AM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

Cool! I'm your #1 stalker who is reading all of your reviews cuz they are so fun and I get to reply first!

Chores, yes. They were dull. So was sno cone making til you got the hang of it. Oh and fishing. That was a bore.

I thought the Hardys looked nasty on the beach too. The were better in TRN. Especially Joe. Yuck.

The ending was bad. Oh yes. Very bad.

But I thought the rest of it was pretty fun! I enjoyed the characters and the beautiful setting and I thought it was pretty exciting in parts. But of course I haven't played so many like SCK, FIN, and CUR. That probably changes your opinion.
    Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

"Nancy travels to Hawaii as a research assistant for Dr. Quigley Kim to determine why the population of native caterpillars has exploded."

haha, definatly off, made no sense, but whatever.
      this is my last on the list of favorites, in fact its not even on the list of favorites.
      not gonna leave it. until it's much too. LATE.

. . ( on a platform ) . . i'm gonna stand and say that

i'm nothing on my own
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AND I LOVE YOU.

Current Obsession:Owl City
      Proud Thespian!
      Prom is today!

Comment

Working...
      X