The Final Scene is Sensational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Scene is Sensational

This the first ever Nancy Drew game that I have played. Going in I didn’t know what to expect, but I ended up loving the experience that it created and loving this game as a result. Playing it again as a “senior” detective has reinforced my love for this game as it is a quality Nancy Drew game.

The first characteristic of this game that struck me is the setting. This mystery takes place in a theater and you’re able to explore every inch of it. I also love that there are so many entrances that Nancy can take into the actual theater part, which makes it feel even more like a theater. I didn’t notice until recently, but the only part that Nancy isn’t able to explore are the balconies near the stage—I’m not sure if there are even doors that connect to them . In the hallways there are miscellaneous pieces of wall art and you are able to click on every single one to view it properly. I mention this because The Final Scene is one of the few Nancy Drew games that provides the player with that much viewing power. There are also several amazing secret passages in the theater that become unlocked as the game progresses. My favorite is discovered through a magician’s cage trick that is programmed from the theater control booth.

Nancy Drew is in a theater because she’s investigating the kidnapping of her friend Maya. Maya was allegedly kidnapped to be held ransom in exchange for the demolition of the theater being cancelled. Throughout the mystery Nancy is on the lookout for clues about Maya’s kidnapping as well as information about the theater that could prevent it from being demolished. As a result, Nancy learns a lot about the theater and its ownership. I love the history that’s packed into the game. The history itself and the organic way that Nancy discovers it makes it feel realistic.

The characters in this game are about average. Brady Armstrong is a famous actor in the world of Nancy Drew and is there for premier of his new movie, which is the last movie that will be shown at the theater before it’s demolished. I like his character because he’s friendly and has some vane qualities, but his vanity doesn’t dominate his entire personality. This is in contrast to his agent Simone Mueller whose personality is over-the-top controlled by her greed for fame and is therefore the worst character in this game. She’s also the only character whose background doesn’t develop at all during the game. Joseph Hughes is the caretaker for the theater who is supportive in Nancy’s quest to find Maya. Lastly, there’s Nicholas Falcone who’s the leader of an organization protesting the closure of the theater. Like Joseph, he’s supportive as well but he also has a dangerous edge to him because of the severe protest tactics that he’s used in the past.

This mystery takes place over the course of three days, with each day’s end triggered after a series of events. I love that the mystery progression is focused heavily on Nancy’s interactions with the suspects and the objects that she’s come across. There are a few puzzles, but they don’t dominate the mystery. As a result, searching for Maya becomes a more realistic endeavor. I also love that the scenery of the theater changes slightly with each day as the suspects and the outside world react to Maya’s disappearance. It makes the mystery and what Nancy’s accomplishing feel bigger.

One thing that this game lacks is any sort of mini-game or activity that can act as an in-game break from the mystery. However, mini-games and activities don’t appear until the later Nancy Drew games, so it’s not unusual that the Final Scene lacks them. I guess that it also makes sense since Nancy’s on a deadline to find Maya and wouldn’t have time for other games and activities. There is also some cheesy dialogue that takes place during Nancy’s phone conversations, especially when’s she’s talking about Maya’s devotion to her journalism with Bess and George. It maybe wouldn’t feel so cheesy if Maya was a recurring character in the Nancy Drew games but so far this is the only time (to my knowledge) that she appears, so it’s a little ridiculous that Nancy, Bess and George are talking about her like she’s their best friend. That being said, I am a little disappointed that Maya hasn’t made any future appearances in the Nancy Drew games. Her journalism background would have made her a great reference for Nancy to call.

Regardless, the Final Scene is a stellar Nancy Drew game. I would rank as one of the best, especially for its story line and setting exploration, and I would definitely recommend playing it.
    I discovered that Secrets can Kill. I Stayed Tuned for Danger. I read the Message in a Haunted Mansion. I uncovered the Treasure in a Royal Tower. I watched the Final Scene. I washed away the Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I pet the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I rode the Haunted Carousel. I dodged the Danger on Deception Island. I lassoed the Secret of Shadow Ranch. I overcame the Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I unwound the Secret of the Old Clock. I traveled on the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I unveiled the Danger by Design. I captured the Creature of Kapu Cave. I discussed politics with the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I unearthed the Legend of the Crystal Skull. I unmasked the Phantom of Venice. I exposed the Haunting of Castle Malloy. I paid the Ransom of the Seven Ships. I heeded the Warnings of Waverly Academy. I chased the Trail of the Twister. I stood in the Shadow at the Water’s Edge. I shattered the Captive Curse. I upheld the Alibi in Ashes. I opened the Tomb of the Lost Queen. I condemned the Deadly Device. I sang to the Ghost of Thornton Hall. I did justice for the Silent Spy. I repaired the Shattered Medallion. I navigated the Labyrinth of Lies. I illuminated the Sea of Darkness. I was awake at Midnight in Salem.
Working...
X