Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Years later, FIN is still good! :)

FIN is still an oldie but goodie.

This was not my first time at the rodeo. (This is the only thing I have in common with Simone.) I had played FIN several times, several years ago. Even so, I had forgotten some details. This was a good thing because the game play seemed fresh and I could not go through it from memorization. (Knowing everything is a hazard of multiple replays.)

Nancy is rather feisty. She talks back to adults, some of whom are players! This is important: if Nancy were silent and docile, nothing would change. The same old power games would roll all over people who, in the mad game, did not count. Change is needed in this theater. It is like a microcosm of larger life, where oppression, empowerment, and changes are happening all the time. Art and Life, and all that. .. but back to the game...

So the feisty Nancy encounters a few obstacles. Only some of them are human. Others involve figuring out how to do things which lead to other things which ultimately complete one day in the game. Each day's tasks must be completed in order to achieve a new day.

At the end of each day, Nancy has made "significant progress". If you don't believe me, you can ask Bess and George about that. The kicker is that there are only three days! Where is Maya? Depending upon whom you ask, Maya is elsewhere or somewhere in the theater. We know that Maya can only be in one place at one time. But where is that place? Nancy gathers information and follows clues.

You, too, can follow the clues and find out what happened to the hapless Maya. Was her promising career cut short? Was she derailed? Did anyone ever find her? After you find out about Maya, you might think about what happened to her.

When that happens, how will you feel about all the characters' endings? (I followed my grandma's advice. I thought pity was appropriate in addition to any censure.) YMMV.
    What are you, one of the Hardy Boys?
    Hey. The Hardy Boys solved every case!
    (look for it in The Gourmet Detective: Death al Dente movie)
Working...
X