Clear All

• What I Really Thought: FIN *Spoiler Free*

..............................MyCatTilly Presents,
    f...........What I Really Thought:...........e
    The Final Scene
    Edition

Z ® ¸

Plot

I think this may be one of the most thrilling plots out of any of the games. It starts off innocently, Nancy's just trying to help her friend, Maya, with an article for her school newspaper. But when Maya leaves to get an interview with the "wholesomely smoldering" Brady Armstrong, a scream is heard and *gasp* she's gone! To make matters worse, the kidnapper is holding her in an old theatre which is set to be demolished in three days and the police won't believe a word you say.

This is really the only ND game that runs on a strict timeline, except arguably SHA, but that's not to say that you don't have any freedom. The general feel is the same as the other games but with a bit more darkness. Very compelling.

I give it 10/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics

The graphics here are basically the same as TRT. The people still look a little odd and stiff but it doesn't distract from the game at all. The only thing that bugged me was that the colors of the theatre were very muted which made it look as through you were walking though a light grey mist. The effect is very slight and just barely noticeable but it's a little odd.

Considering the time period I give it 6.5/10

Puzzles

There are only a few small puzzles* in this game but quite a few larger scale ones. The first time I played this, I was quite frustrated with them but back then I didn't keep notes. So after replaying FIN a few times, notebook at my side, I can say that the puzzles are fun and different from the last four installments.

I give them 7/10

*by small puzzles I mean things like slider boxes

Characters

The characters here are well thought out. They have motives, opportunity, clues that point to them, a purpose for being there and strong back stories. The best thing about them, is that none of them can be written off as a good person or a bad person (including the culprit!)

And we get to hear Nancy get angry at them several times

I give them 9/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

Now this is a good ending. One of the best because there is pressure beyond belief. You only have a limited time, a lot of things to do and you have to think quickly. On top of this you have to deal with the kidnapper who has lost their mind, adding even more urgency and an edge of creepiness. Bravo, HER, bravo.

I give it 10/10

Overall

It's thrilling, it's edgy, it's challenging. The general feel I get from reading other reviews is that you either love it or hate it. It's unlike any of the other games but it's still very Nancy Drew. It can be a bit slow and bit hard and you might like it, you might not. But you should really check it out. It's classic and the characters are fantastic.

Overall score: 8/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 6/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 6/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. Just remember: if you didn't like this game don't let that stop you from trying out the others. There is a ton of variety in the series.
    Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; November 13, 2009, 01:52 PM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

Thank you for that incredibly well thought-out review! I'm planning on playing FIN soon, and you've just made me really excited!

Comment

Great reveiw!!!!! I really liked this one to. Reps 4 U
      .…………..-:|:-NancyNickerson-:|:-
      .…....•* ¯ *•..……....•
      .…....*•-•’... ’*•-•*’.….
      ©GardenofEden

Hey guys please check out my CRE AE, Fleeing Shadows

Comment

Wow! That was a great review, and I can tell that it was well thought out.... I don't know how to give reps yet, but I want to tell you that it's a great description of the game! Way 2 go!

~AnnaBanana143
        -AnnaBanana143
        I've watched the Final Scene!
        I've found the Treasure in the Royal Tower!
        I've rode the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon!
        I took a ride on the Haunted Carousel!
        I escaped the Danger on Deception Island!
        Increase the Peace!

.•*¨¯¨*•..You are the light of the world.
        `•-•*.....)..A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
        ......¸.•´.......•*¨¯¨*•.
        .¸.•*¨¯¨*•...(.....*•-•´.•*¨¯¨*•..Matthew 5:14
        (......*•-•´¸.•*¨¯¨*•...`•-•*.....)....•*¨¯¨*•.
        .`•.,¸_¸,.•´....*•-•´..........¸.•´...(.....*•-•´
        ©LadyGreenleaf..............•.,¸.•´

Comment

Great review,Im gonna get FIN this winter and I just cant wait.Reps!
          I've completed SCK,STFD,MHM,TRT,FIN,SSH,DOG,CAR,DDI,SHA,CUR,SCK, TRN,DAN,CRE,ICE,CRY,HCM,RAN, WAC, TOT, CAP, ASH, TLQ, DED

Click here to read my TRN AE, The Train Full of Secrets.

Click here to read my new romantic ICE AE,Its snowing at Icicle Creek.

I believed in religion until I attained the age of reason.

Justice for the 96.

Comment

You are all so kind! Thanks for reading
            aka SnappyBlueRoadster

LCC RED

Comment

Looking for a recommendation...

Hi, MyCatTilly!
              I know this sounds creepy and a little stalker-ish, but I really like your reviews. I am an absolute amateur at Nancy Drew games, but your reviewing process is a really good one, I think. So I was hoping you could make a recommendation for me.
              I would love a scary one. I was looking in some of your reviews, and I couldn't find one with a scary level over 6. That isn't one of my high priorities, though.
              I like a good range of puzzles, particularly like you said the ones were in GDML.
              I also love an involved plot, much like the one you wrote about for DDI. It seems like there is so much going on in that one.
              If the characters are compelling, then that's good, but not a necessity. I've only beaten two so far, and I loved Treasure in the Royal Tower (The other being Secrets Can Kill), even though the characters were basically not too great.
              I know these seem like a lot of things to ask about, but I couldn't seem to find anything that had everything I'm looking for. I understand that there probably aren't any, actually, with everything because I'm being so picky. But I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions you give. Thanks so much!

P.S. Sorry for posting this on a review thread, but I couldn't find anywhere on my page so send you a message. I'm not too good with this website
              Any and all help - including spoilers - is always greatly appreciated! Thanks for answering any of my questions.

I have lifted the Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
              I have discovered the Treasure in the Royal Tower.
              I have granted the Ransom of the Seven Ships.
              I have found a Message in a Haunted Mansion.
              I have put to rest the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake.
              I have closed the curtain on The Final Scene.
              I have unveiled the Secret of Shadow Ranch.
              I have ridden the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon.
              I have ridden the Haunted Carousel.
              I have faced the Danger on Deception Island.
              I have revealed the Secret of the Old Clock.
              I have shined a light on the Shadow at the Water's Edge.
              I have tamed the White Wolf of Icicle Creek.
              I have ignored the Warnings at Waverley Academy.
              And I have learned that Secrets Can Kill.

"A library is a hospital for the mind."

Clare loves you!

Comment

Oh don't feel weird about it at all. I'm really flattered actually

Lets see, a scary game with good puzzles and a complicated plot...Well the first thing that comes to mind is CUR. It's definitely delivers in the puzzle department, has a good storyline, and there are parts of it that still make me jump even though I've played it a number of times.

GDML would be another good choice. It isn't all that scary of a game (then again, I don't scare easily) but it it certainly has it's moments.

I hope that helps in some way
                aka SnappyBlueRoadster

LCC RED

Comment

Thanks so much! I'm definitely getting one of those now. I really appreciate your input! Don't be surprised if I bother you again
                  Any and all help - including spoilers - is always greatly appreciated! Thanks for answering any of my questions.

I have lifted the Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
                  I have discovered the Treasure in the Royal Tower.
                  I have granted the Ransom of the Seven Ships.
                  I have found a Message in a Haunted Mansion.
                  I have put to rest the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake.
                  I have closed the curtain on The Final Scene.
                  I have unveiled the Secret of Shadow Ranch.
                  I have ridden the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon.
                  I have ridden the Haunted Carousel.
                  I have faced the Danger on Deception Island.
                  I have revealed the Secret of the Old Clock.
                  I have shined a light on the Shadow at the Water's Edge.
                  I have tamed the White Wolf of Icicle Creek.
                  I have ignored the Warnings at Waverley Academy.
                  And I have learned that Secrets Can Kill.

"A library is a hospital for the mind."

Clare loves you!

Comment

Hi "Tilly"!

Okay, once again Katrin is back checking your fab reviews before I buy a game. So I'm thinkin' of getting FIN, and wondering.... are the puzzles spoiler-able? And if the ending is really hard, there's always second chance, right?

Happy 2010!
                    Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Working...
                    X