Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAR Review

The Haunted Carousel - released in 2003

Based on the book: The Haunted Carousel, Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #72, published in 1988

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: There are many elements that are the same and many that are different. The mystery with the haunted carousel is the same, but the characters and many plot points are different.

The Mystery/Crime: The theft of a carousel horse, a roller coaster accident that may not have been an accident, and allegations that the carousel is haunted

Mode Of Transportation: N/A (Nancy stays in the park and adjacent hotel)

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is Learned About in This Game?: Carousels and carousel horses, using a lathe, soldering, stenograpy

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is hired by the owner of Captain's Cove amusement park to determine why so many strange things have been happening there lately.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Elliot Chen - the procrastinating park art director
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Marcus Chong

Harlan Bishop - the park's security guard
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Ingrid Corey - the park's chief engineer who has New Age beliefs
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Tyra Banks

Joy Trent - the park bookkeeper
    Actress I would cast to play her it were a live-action movie or TV show: Ginnifer Goodwin

Phone Characters:

Anton Sukov: Professor of Modern Art and carousel expert

Bess Marvin and George Fayne - Nancy's friends

Frank and Joe Hardy - Nancy's friends

KJ Perris - New Jersey police detective

Lance Huffington - suing the park after getting hurt during the roller coaster accident

Luis Guerra - a parole officer

Paula Santos - the park owner

Tink Obermeier - the carousel operator

Other characters:
    Miles the Magnificent Memory Machine - robot

My favorite quotes:
    "While you were gone, the Nancy Drew entity came in here and snooped...An analysis of sensory input shows that the Nancy Drew entity entered the immediate area during your absence and exhibited non-random seeking behavior" - Miles

"One open mind sees more than two open eyes" - Ingrid Corey

My Thoughts: This game is special to me because it was the first Nancy Drew game I ever played. As with most people on here, the first game I played is the one that got me hooked and made me want to play all the Nancy Drew games. I was surprised at how involved and fun the game was. I had bought a few other games on the shelf near it before I bought this one and they were just basic hidden object games. I thought this would be like those, and I was so pleasantly surprised that it wasn't. It was the perfect type of game for me, with the interaction with suspects and the searching for clues. I had never played anything like it before and it was fabulous.
    As for the game itself, I really like the plot and the characters and I thought it had a good balance of activities (puzzles, investigating, reading, questioning suspects, etc). I liked the Midway games and the carousel ride, which were both fun and made it really feel like I was at an amusement park. I also really like Miles; he's one of my favorite characters from any of the Nancy Drew games. :) There were only two things that I didn't care for in this game. One was how often I had to use the phone. I like having phone conversations in these games because they're usually pretty funny, but having to make several different phone calls to 10 different people was a little much for me. I would rather have spent some of that time doing other things. The other thing I didn't like was having to listen to Paula drone on without being able to skip the conversation every single time I messed up and died. That was very tedious. I know that a lot of people feel that this game is too short. It certainly didn't feel short to me the first time I played it, but that was probably because it was the first game of this kind I had ever played and I hadn't really gotten the hang of how things worked yet. But yes, in comparison to other Nancy Drew games (especially now that I'm much more experienced with them), it is short.

My Random Comments: Paula Santos was such a jerk when Nancy messed up. She was like, "How dare you electrocute yourself when you're supposed to be investigating? You're off the case!" A decent human being would have said, "Oh my gosh, you got electrocuted? Are you ok??" At least Paula was nice when Nancy wasn't injuring herself...

My Rating: 9/10

Excellent review! I love the way you format them - it's really unique and I like how you give some information about the game first. :D

This was also my first game, and like you, it got me hooked on to the series quickly. It brings back a lot of nostalgia, and your favorite quotes are some of mine too. (This game is actually quite memorable when it comes to the quotes, now that I think about it!) I'd have to agree with you on Paula - she seems to be very unconcerned about Nancy in those second chances! She's just so mad at Nancy for getting herself hurt that it's actually kind of funny.

As I said, great review! I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm glad you like this game too. :D
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Love this review!
      Totally agree with Paula there!
      and yes it is somewhat short cause if I wanted I could finish it in one day!
      but overall I love this review and enjoyed reading it!
      ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
      (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
      .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
      ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
      ..( ..)
      c('')('')

Comment

Working...
      X