X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My in-depth review of CAR, a must read :D

The Haunted Carousel

Plot:
    Paula Santos, the owner of Captain’s Cove Amusement Park has asked Nancy to investigate the recent theft of one of the horses from the carousel. Then, the power to the roller coaster shuts off and a guest is injured! Soon after, the carousel starts up on its own in the dead of night. You, as Nancy Drew, must investigate these strange happenings before someone else gets hurt- including yourself!
    I thought this was a very distinctive location for the game! I really like amusement parks & it was fun to be able to go around the park & see the different places to visit like the games, rides and buildings where the characters were found.

Characters:

Harlan Bishop: Harlan is the park’s security guard & the first character you meet. Harlan is helpful & very good at his job but doesn’t like to talk about his past. He doesn’t believe in the hauntings & thinks they’re a coincidence.

Elliott Chen: The park’s art director, responsible for all the visual components at Captain’s Cove. Elliott is several weeks behind on all his work & the park being shut down is exactly what could help this procrastinator finish his work.

Ingrid Corey: Chief engineer & responsible for all the rides at Captain’s Cove. Ingrid believes in holistic medicine, and is very polite. She is convinced the horse was stolen because the park is cursed.

Joy Trent: Captain’s Cove bookkeeper, responsible for the financials. Joy’s father used to co-own the amusement park but had to sell it to Paula, after falling on hard times and losing all his money. Joy is very upset at Paula and believes she is causing the “hauntings” for publicity.

I loved the characters! Since this is an older game, I really felt as though the characters were unique & had a true purpose for being there. They each had perfect alibis for wanting to sabotage the park, I was truly surprised when the culprit showed themselves but I also had an inkling of whom it was. I also liked that there were a lot of characters so in case I was stuck (which happened more often than not) I could ask around for hints & tips.

Setting/Graphics:
    The Setting is Captain’s Cove Amusement Park in New Jersey, and the hotel next to the park. Mainly you’re in the park, where there’s a map showing each place you can explore. Then you just click where you want to go & you’re there, there’s no real walking around (besides the Carousel). When you want to order food or check your laptop for hints, you just click on the hotel & bam- you’re in the room! None of the ND games I’ve played thus far have had this way of exploring…besides HAU I guess, but that was a little different because you could ‘walk’ Nancy around-ha!
    The Graphics were alright, not too bad. This was one of the earlier games and I played this game right after DOG & I don’t think there’s much of a difference between the graphics. This doesn’t take away from the game play though! Once you’re looking at something up close, the graphics are great! But far away it’s a little choppy. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense but if you play the game you might get what I mean.

Game Play/Puzzles:
    It’s hard to gage how long these games take me to play because I don’t sit down & play them in one sitting. I usually just have a few hours to give; so I really can’t pin point an actually time frame. If I was going to try & figure it out though it prolly took me about a week to a week and a half in 1-2 hour shifts. The puzzles weren’t too confusing; I did need hints at some points. For example, I couldn’t figure out how to make the dowel for the carousel. I knew what I needed to look at to figure it out but after several tries I finally gave in to a hint! I’m a little impatient & don’t really like spending a lot of time trying to figure out something but if you give it time the puzzles could be figured out easily. So I’ve seen a lot of posts on the hints & tips portion of the message boards that barnacle blast was very hard, but it only took me about 15 minutes to complete. I didn’t think it was hard at all! But the squid toss really had me trying for a while. The games were a cute way to get something else you needed in the game. I loved the snooping! It was a like a classic ND game! You basically snooped the entire time, through people’s belongings, around the carousel, in the haunted house etc… I also thought you could ‘die’ a lot. There were a lot of things that could happen that got you out of the game. Then you’d be on the phone with Paula getting scolded like a child, I thought she was really rude! The conversation took a while then, finally, you could press ‘second chance’. One of the instances was trial & error so every time you didn’t do it right, you ‘died’ & it took forever to get back to it because you had to talk to Paula for 10 minutes. That was a little irritating.

Music/Scare Factor:
    The Music was perfect! It sounded just like carousel music but slowed down perfectly enough to sound creepy! Honestly, the music really made the tone of the game. That’s why I’m paring the music with the scare factor since nothing else was scary besides the music. The music gave me goose bumps at first, but I got used to it. I would’ve thought since the whole game was about the carousel being haunted it would’ve been fun to check out the carousel at night, and then have it start up! However, you just explore during the day & the carousel never starts up by itself. I don’t want to give away too much, but this game isn’t scary. MHM, even TRT is spookier! I also didn’t feel as though someone was behind me, ever.

Ending:
    Basically you know when the ending is happening, the culprit shows themselves then you have to figure out a clever way to trap them & escape! It’s not hard to catch the culprit; I got it on my second try and you have to think quickly! Again, it was easy to guess whodunit! It’s not my favorite ending but it wasn’t as bad as other games have been.

Overall:
    I really did enjoy this game, it’s not one of my favorites but I’m glad I got to play it because I love the classic older ND games! I really appreciated the characters and their personalities; the amount of snooping was just fantastic! The music was perfect; I’ve yet to play an ND game where the music wasn’t spot on (maybe besides DOG; the music could’ve been more jazzy/20ish themed and louder). I didn’t have a tough time with the extra games we had to play & the only thing I had a hard time with was making the dowel, I just couldn’t figure it out haha. The ending was pretty simple & it was easy to figure out what you had to do.

Thank you for reading my review! I hope you enjoyed it, and the game :) If you have any comments/questions/reviews please leave a comment below.
    Last edited by here2seetheshow; June 25, 2018, 12:46 PM. Reason: correcting grammatical errors
    SCK, STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CRE, HAU, SAW, TOT

Nice review! I especially liked what you said about some of the features of the game, like the characters; I agree that it was a diverse cast of characters and that they all had good potential reasons for being the culprit. Agreed with the setting, too -- I love how it takes place in an amusement park, and since it's the only game to do so, it really stands out.

I find the music to be pretty creepy, too. I too think that's kind of the only "scary" factor of the game. :D
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Aww thanks! I'm glad my review made sense lol I tend to ramble. Yes! I love the old school characters they have so much more background & purpose lol. Thanks for commenting! :D
      SCK, STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CRE, HAU, SAW, TOT

Comment

Working...
      X