X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My [Spoiler-Free] CAR Reveiw

The Haunted Carousel
    A review by Tigeress_10

Plot: The plot of this game is very unique and very fun. Admittedly, the titular concept doesn't carry much weight, but the actual act of the robbery is interesting. 7.5/10

Setting/Theme: A theme park is a very good idea for a setting, and it's executed well in this game. You don't get to ride many rides, but there's a good reason for that--the park's shut down. You do, however, get to play on the arcade games. The architecture of the park is very interesting, very fun and colorful. It's great to look around. 8/10

Characters: Paula Santos is the woman who calls for your help in this game. She's a friend of Nancy's dad, and if you mess up, expect to be chewed out in a very embarrassing fashion. You don't call her much, but she's always willing to help should you do so. Ingrid Correy is the park's head engineer, and her views on life are almost as perplexing as Renee from CRY's. Elliot Chen is responsible for the park's amazing artwork, and he's always happy to talk to you, if only because it means he then won't have to work! Joy Trent is...I actually do not have any idea what position she's working in, but regardless, her late father is co-owner of the park, which she now works at. She's very quiet and seems to be sad. And lastly, Harlan Bishop is the park's security guard. He can't seem to get is story about his previous job straight, but he seems nice enough...

A flaw in the characterization of CAR that I'm sure many have noticed is that some characters receive a great amount of back story and development, whereas some don't receive any. You're likely to care a lot more about one character than the other, but they all prove to be amusing. 8.5/10

Puzzles: A lot of the puzzles in this game are arcade-style--literally. Winning the games and receiving the required tokens can be a hassle, but it's still fun in the long term. Other than that, the puzzles require a lot of brain-work, and are very riddle-type in nature (some of them are riddles, in fact). But they're good. And you get to do some snooping too. 7.5/10

Music: The music for this is very interesting and like the rest of the game, very unique. It's like no other game before (or after) it, and it really helps set the mood, as always. 9/10

Ending: It's a good ending, not great. The way you catch the culprit is pretty easy, but there's no mini-game involved, which I'm grateful for.7/10

Other:
    • See if you can recognize the voice actor for Harlan! Seriously, he did loads of voices in the games...
    • The conversations you have on the phone with Frank and George are hysterical. Be sure to call them a lot!

Overall, CAR is a good game that teeters on the verge of great, but doesn't quite make it. I'd give it a 7.5. It has one of the most unique atmospheres in the series, and it's very fun. I'd recommend it any day, but there are quite a few games that are better.

Thanks for reading!
    Tigeress_10
    My 5* Reviews

SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG
    CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN
    DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN
    HAU RAN
    WAC

All cased closed

Awsome Review, Tigeress_10! I am thinking about getting this game (hopefully for Christmast!) and your review was really helpful! 5 stars!
    Only I keep wishing I couℓd think of a way to
    … … … … to show the capitolTHEY DON'T OWN ME
    That I’m more than just a piece in their Games

Whoohoo! This college kid just got Tomb of the Lost Queen. Feels GREAT to play ND again. College is so time-consuming(:

Comment

Thanks! I hope you do get it--by the looks of it you've played a lot of the games already. Have fun!
      Tigeress_10
      My 5* Reviews

CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN
      DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN
      HAU RAN
      WAC

All cased closed

Comment

Wow, that review was amazing!
        ........So tell me
        .................¸·*¨¯¨*·¸...What is our
        ...¸·*¨¯¨*·¸....´·-·*.....)....e n d i n g............¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
        ...´·-·*.....´×.,¸_¸,.×´Will it be beautiful??..(.....*·-·´....¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
        .................¸.·´.........¸.·´¯)......¸.·´¯).........´×.,¸_¸,.×´.....*·-·´
        ................(............( ¸.·´.......( ¸.·´........¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
        .................´×.,¸_¸,.×´×.,¸_¸,.×´×.,¸_¸,.×´.....*·-·´

©ĸαммy

Comment

Very good review! I like the way you describe things. Now I'll have to find out who does Harlan's voice! It can be my interesting thought of the day(or week or month. Lol!) Reps for you!
          "Life is really about moving on. Why sulk in the miserable past when you can live in the beautiful moment that is happening right in front of you? If we woe over every mistake we make, surely we will be regretting to our graves. Remember, the people that hurt you the most are the ones that teach you the most. Therefore, forgive everyone, never forget but never regret. Life is really about moving on." ~NancyGurl95

Comment

Thanks, both of you!

@NancyGurl: One of the many other characters he did was Andy in DDI!
            Tigeress_10
            My 5* Reviews

CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN
            DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN
            HAU RAN
            WAC

All cased closed

Comment

Working...
            X