• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwback Review Series: CAR {a fresh new play-through and in-depth review}

THE HAUNTED CAROUSEL (CAR)
    Release Date: July 13, 2003
    Difficulty: Senior Detective

FINAL SCORE: Not Bad (4/10)

************************************************** ******************************************
    Rating Scale:
    1. Dreadful | 2. Poor | 3. Mediocre | 4. Not Bad | 5. Acceptable
    6. Good | 7. Exceeds Expectations | 8. Strong | 9. Superior | 10. Outstanding

************************************************** ******************************************

MY PERSPECTIVE:
    Hi there! I am a veteran Nancy Drew player, and have been playing these games since I was very young. Message in a Haunted Mansion was the first game I played at eight years old. I am now 27 and have completed every game in the series at least once. However, it's been several years since I've played my last ND game (Sea of Darkness in 2015), and many, MANY years since I have played many of the games. I've had a bout of Nostalgia and have decided to replay the entire series, starting from the beginning. I've decided to write a review for each game as I go. I will be playing on Senior Detective and using as few hints/online help as possible.

Please keep in mind that everything written below is only my personal OPINION. If you don’t agree with something I have to say about a game, please don’t feel upset or offended. We all enjoy different aspects of these games and it’s wonderful that we can all have differing opinions about what makes a game great. I hope you enjoy!!

PLOT: Acceptable (5/10)
    Captain’s Cove Amusement Park has been plagued by strange occurrences as of late. First, a horse disappears off the carousel. Then, the roller coaster malfunctions and causes the park to shut down. And just to make things creepier, the carousel has been starting up all on its own in the dead of night. Are these all just a bunch of strange coincidences? Or could the rumors that the park is cursed be true? The park’s owner, Paula Santos, is a friend of Nancy’s father (who isn’t?), so naturally Nancy heads to Captain’s Cove help out. She learns pretty quickly that there may be more than a curse within the Amusement Park’s rides - there’s may be some pretty valuable jewels hidden there as well! Whichever is responsible, Nancy is determined to find the truth.

If I’m being honest, I had a really difficult time settling on a score for this plot for a couple of reasons. First of all, when I dove into this entry I really wasn’t a fan of the plot that we’re given at the beginning of the game. Basically, somebody steals a carousel horse and also some rides are malfunctioning. Although it’s admittedly a bit dreary - we’ll come back to that - there’s nothing overtly wrong with this. It’s more that the game at first glance tries to convince us that this is a scary/cursed/haunted entry to the series when it is really nothing of the sort, and as a result the non-paranormal stuff going on INSTANTLY feels like a letdown before we’ve even had a chance to get started. Because of this, the story constantly feels lacking. Even were that not the case though, this plot just comes off a little boring. I was never overwhelmingly invested in what was going on (in the present or the past). I honestly just kept trudging along until eventually the game was over (far sooner than I remembered.) There really wasn’t any sense of urgency or danger for anybody at all and I didn’t even feel like Nancy cared much about what was going on half of the time, so why should I?

And yet. AND YET. Now that I’ve completed the game, I have to admit in retrospect that (boring as I may have found it while playing) this plot was actually VERY well done for a variety of reasons. There are multiple crimes to investigate. There are lots of people to talk to. All of the information we learn matters and everybody has a motive (though some worse than others as always). We actually are following a couple different stories throughout the game, and while I questioned a few times how one related to the other, it all tied together way nicer than I would have expected by the time it was over. This plot has very few holes, and while it’s not overly complicated it does have an intricacy to it that I feel deserves to be acknowledged.

SETTING: Poor (2/10)

This time around, our story is set in Captain’s Cove Amusement Park, a fictional amusement park in New Jersey. (Detective Barbie: Mystery of the Carnival Caper vibes, anyone?) While I think a haunted amusement park is a brilliant setting for a mystery, this game really just doesn’t do it justice. The setting is this game’s weakest aspect, and I feel like HER really missed an opportunity to do something uniquely great here.

Our primary location, Captain’s Cove, is an amusement park in New Jersey that is implied at the beginning of the game to be haunted. While this could have been a brilliant choice of setting, HER makes a huge mistake in the actual explorable locations we’re provided. Yes, we get the Carousel, which is easily the most artistic and impressive location we see in the game - as it should be, since much of the game revolves around carousel horses in one way or another. This particular carousel is one of five in the world that Rolphe Kessler carved horses for. In this case, HER does a great job of making it stand out as the gem that it’s supposed to be. The horses are beautifully designed, and they really do have the realistic, haunted expressions that all of the game’s literature keeps telling us is signature of Kessler’s work.

Aside from the Carousel, we get a grand total of two other locations that you would expect to see in an amusement park, and neither of them are very good. The roller coaster is basically just one big, uninteresting room with a track and a few coaster cars sitting around. The Haunted House is the only location in the game that feels even slightly creepy, but I don’t feel like it comes across as creepy ENOUGH. The rest of the locations are incredibly drab. Joy’s office is nicely designed, but still dark and boring. Both Elliot’s and Ingrid’s workshops feel like workshops (lots of gray tones and workbenches) and look exactly the same. Harlan’s office is equally uninteresting, with some immersive yet boring cork walls and an equally boring color palette. Granted, it isn’t the art style that’s the problem in most of these places. The locations themselves are just uninteresting. The Midway is so disappointing because it at least COULD have been made interesting, but it wasn’t. Honestly, Nancy’s hotel room is my favorite of all of these extra locations, which should really tell you something because it is JUST a normal hotel room.

While there is some nice attention to detail that I feel the artists deserve credit for (exposed wiring, tools, and some other things that make these places feel super realistic), they just aren’t visually interesting. I’m not sure why they went this route and didn’t instead give us some more interesting amusement park locations. Bumper cars, ferris wheels, some fun game booths. A FUN HOUSE?!?! Pretty much anything but a bunch of boring offices and workshops would have improved this setting

EXPLORATION: Dreadful (1/10)
    The exploration in this game is honestly so bad that it rivals SSH (which is my least favorite game of the entire series.) We get lots of individual locations (about eight to start), but there’s basically nothing to do in any of them. I can’t even count the number of times I wished I could look at something or go in a particular direction but couldn’t. Like, at least let me walk ALL THE WAY AROUND the Carousel. The game is literally named after the carousel, WHYYYY can we not at the very least see the entire thing?!

The thing is, this location as a whole just feels tiny, and this is made even worse by the fact that you know this is supposed to be a whole amusement park. Amusement parks are BIG. They have lots of stuff going on, lots of space, lots of rides. But because this game goes back to a strict “Map” system (where we travel to each individual location via map) and limits most of our locations to employee areas such as offices and workshops, we don’t get to see ANY of it. This game would have benefited TREMENDOUSLY from a single location structure like TRT or MHM. Being able to travel freely across even a small section of this park would have made this game feel so much bigger, and allowed the fantastic artstyle we get from the carousel to shine through in some of the other areas of the game. Instead, we’re stuck teleporting from one boring door to another, and the only glimpse we get of the rest of the park is on our way out of the Carousel location.

Lastly, this game severely lacks any substantial secret areas to discover. Aside from the endgame, we really only get to unlock one single location, and it’s both underwhelming and unrewarding. Overall, the exploration in this game is incredibly disappointing, and the only reason I consider it better than SSH is because we do get to do some MINOR snooping in all four of our suspects’ locations. But that is not enough to make up for the extreme lack of rewarding exploration that permeates this game from start to finish.
    CHARACTERS: Mediocre (3.5/10)
    We’re given some pretty underwhelming characters in this entry. Some of them do have the potential to be good, but even the one character that this game seems to focus on the most just wasn’t all that endearing to me. Overall these characters are pretty bland and flat, and their motives aren’t really all that convincing. I was left feeling generally underwhelmed by them.

HARLAN BISHOP: Poor (2/10)
    Harlan is a fairly new security guard at Captain’s Cove. He’s nice and helpful to Nancy, and makes sure to give her a “fun card” when she arrives so that she can play games and ride rides in the park. This would imply that he’s supposed to have a fun or upbeat personality, and I THINK that’s the direction the developers were trying to go, but it never really comes across right and he ends up feeling rather flat. He does have an interesting secret, but throughout the game it’s never really confirmed at any point that he even has a motive at all, Nancy mostly just judges the poor guy without knowing much of anything about him. Also, he’s a little creepy looking when he swivels in his chair.

INGRID COREY: Mediocre (3/10)
    Ingrid is the chief engineer at Captain’s Cove, and apparently her motive is that she likes expensive things. This is a terrible motive, because a lot of people like expensive things and that does not make them a criminal. There is nothing wrong with having expensive taste, and also Nancy seems to underestimate the salary of an engineer. This lady probably makes bank, and it’s really not Nancy’s business to be pestering her about her financial decisions anyway. We get very little information about her outside of this, aside from the fact that she can apparently sense people’s auras. I felt like this was an odd choice for her character. I’m sure they did it to try to make her quirky, but I think I would have liked her better if they made her character a little more serious and… oh I don’t know. Engineer-y??? I don’t like when they make random characters “quirky” just for the sake of being quirky, is what I’m trying to say, and I feel like that’s what happened here. Either give me Hotchkiss-level commitment or just give me a normal, believable character. Ingrid, like Harlan, feels flat and doesn’t have much to say most of the time.

ELLIOT CHEN: Acceptable (5/10)
    Elliot is the art director at Captain’s Cove, and he’s a bit of a jerk. We find out early on that he’s eternally behind in his work, and is at risk of getting fired if he doesn’t catch up soon. This is one of the better motives of the bunch, and I feel like Elliot at least HAS a personality. He’s a little temperamental, he’s a procrastinator, he feels realistic. I enjoyed chatting with him more than the other characters for this reason, and while he’s far from the best he’s acceptable.

JOY TRENT: Not Bad (4/10)
    Joy is the park’s bookkeeper. You know how most games give you that one character that feels a little more important than the others? That would be Joy in this entry. It’s clear right away that Joy’s story was given a lot of attention, and her history and her reason for working at the park is tragic. Normally, this would make her a good character - unfortunately, that’s just not the case here. Don’t get me wrong, Joy’s backstory is super well done, and Miles added a nice depth to her character. The problem with Joy is that even when she opens up to Nancy (and to herself) her personality is still just… dreary. Basically, the game TELLS us she has depth. But does she actually? I’m not convinced,

PHONE CONTACTS: Acceptable (5/10)
    As usual, our phone contacts in this game are solid (though not as strong as in the past two games.) We get our usual stars in Bess and George and the Hardy Boys, but the remaining phone contacts are really not anything special. The only thing of note is that there are a LOT of minor phone contacts in this game. Some, like Tink, were really well done. I particularly loved the Operator Lady. Others were just okay. I have nothing to complain about here, but I wasn’t blown away.

Paula Santos: Mediocre (3/10)
    Paula Santos is the owner of Captain Cove, and she would really like Nancy to figure out what’s going on so that she can open the park back up and make some more money. Don’t get me wrong, she doesn’t come off as greedy (though that would have made her more interesting.) HER always gives us that one phone contact who is related to the situation and vaguely knows what’s going on (Franklin Rose in SSH, Sally in DOG), and Paula serves that purpose well enough but doesn’t do anything to make it more interesting than what it is.

Bess and George: Exceeds Expectations (7/10)
    Bess and George are their typical solid selves, as they tend to be. I really do love that our conversations with them always highlight their unique personalities. This time, Bess is desperately waiting for a phonecall from a cute boy she met, and Nancy just keeps disappointing her. (I don’t know what happened to her caller ID from the last game). George is her typical, rational and slightly judgemental self and there were quite a few times where the conversation between Bess, George and Nancy made them sound like actual, real teenage girl friends, which I thought was endearing. Also, this is the first game where Bess and George actually interact with the story, in that they do a bit of research for us that moves the plot along and I really like when HER uses them in this way.

Frank and Joe: Exceeds Expectations (7/10)
    The Hardy Boys are back!!! I honestly had forgotten we get them as phone contacts so many times in a row, and their third performance is just as good as the first two. There’s just something about their dialogue and their voice acting that feels natural, and they also provide a bit of comic relief which makes me like them even more. This wasn’t their best performance, but I enjoyed them as always (though, I am starting to miss Ned just ever so slightly, it’s been a while).

Detective Perris: Not Bad (4/10)
    Nancy contacts Detective Perris to pick his brain about the case, and I actually thought he was pretty well done. While I don’t think he brought anything overly special to this story, I enjoyed his voice acting and felt that he came off quite realistic.
    PUZZLES: Mediocre (3/10)
    I normally write down each puzzle the game presents to me as I encounter it, but in this entry it seems I didn’t write anything down. That’s because many of the puzzles in this game present as a long term Riddle, and the rest of them are either research-based (such as fixing the midway game and interpreting the stenography) or were so easy that I didn’t bother to take note of them. That being said, we do get a few “puzzles” that are incorporated into the plot really nicely, which I appreciated. But in the end, the puzzles are just not all that interesting and didn’t really FEEL like puzzles to me as I was playing through this game. They don’t stand out and definitely aren’t this entry’s strong point.

ENDGAME: Good (6/10)
    I have mixed feelings about the endgame this time around. I consider the endgame to begin with the solving of our final “Riddle”. The puzzle that unlocks the endgame is quite honestly one of the easiest we’re given, and so long as you’ve been paying a little bit of attention throughout the game the catching of the culprit isn’t particularly hard either. I do feel as though the endgame of an entry should be at least a little bit challenging, so I feel like the ease with which we get through the final moments of this one is a negative.

That being said, I ENJOYED the way this game wrapped up. I think this entry does a great job of concluding things in a way that you don’t really expect, while ALSO following up on something that you DID expect (also in a different way than you originally expected). All in all, I think the ending made me care more about the story than I did the entire time I was playing this game and also managed to surprise me when I was sure it would be incredibly predictable. For that reason, it’s by far this entry’s strength.

MISCELLANEOUS:
    This category may not affect the game’s overall score in any particular way, as low scores in the categories presented here shouldn’t necessarily be interpreted as a bad thing. These are highly subjective to personal taste and are included primarily for informative purposes.

DIFFICULTY: Dreadful (1/10)
    This game may very well be the easiest in the entire series. The plot is simple, the puzzles are easy, the path forward is almost always clear. If you’re looking for a game that will challenge you, I would suggest you look elsewhere. However, an easy game is not always a bad thing! I actually think this is the first game I was capable of completing on my own without looking up any answers, and THAT is an incredibly rewarding experience! So, if you’re a younger player, or are new to the series or even if you just have struggled with the difficulty level of some of the other games, I would actually really recommend this one!

Something else of note is that this game is short. I mean really short, at least it was for me. Because it isn’t difficult and is very straightforward, I basically just kept following the plot along until it was over, and that just didn’t take a long time.

SCARE FACTOR: Poor (2/10)
    Don’t be fooled by the name of this game, this is NOT a scary entry. There are no jumpscares and basically no spooky moments at all. The haunted house is the only location that is even slightly spooky (which is fitting because it is a Haunted House), but the rest of our locations are strictly not scary. I actually thought that this game took place at night, but NOPE. We get to wander around this haunted park during the very non-haunted hours of daylight. If you are easily frightened, fear not. You should be able to handle this one.

EDUCATION/LOCATION HISTORY: Mediocre (3/10)
    There really isn’t too much of value in this game. We get some information about Carousels and Carousel horses, and the game does give us some history about Rolphe Kessler (who may or may not be a real person, I didn’t look). I would have honestly preferred MORE information about Carousels, and more INTERESTING stuff about Kessler, as the plot revolves a bit around his life and I never felt as though the game told me enough to care (at least not like I did about Malone in DOG or Dirk Valentine in SHA). We also get a few bits of information from Ingrid’s engineering guidebook (some wiring, some computer coding, etc) and an admittedly interesting lesson on stenography if you like that stuff. But it wasn’t overflowing with educational value or interesting history in general.

IMMERSION:Acceptable (5/10)
    This concerns how realistic the game feels. Does it feel like Nancy is really there for the reason she is supposed to be? Is her reason for being there realistic? Are the things that happen throughout the game realistic?

The immersion in this game isn’t bad, most of the time. The reason Nancy is there makes sense, the plot itself and the conclusion of the game makes sense. SHE CAN ACTUALLY EAT FOOD THIS TIME, which is very immersive because otherwise she would starve and die. Yet, there are other things that are not so immersive. The whole roller coaster incident for example - the police and the staff and pretty much everybody seem confused about how the roller coaster could have possibly just stopped on its own. It MUST have malfunctioned, yet there is a giant “EMERGENCY STOP” button right in the middle of everything where anybody could have pushed it. Also, why there a handprint on the roller coaster door? Another example is when the endgame is over, and Nancy says she basically had to “force” her way out of the location to find somebody to call the police. NANCY HAS A CELL PHONE. There is no reason she couldn’t have used it to call somebody herself. And the worst offender - WHY does Nancy need to ride the carousel to grab the golden ring, and how on earth does she manage to fall OFF the carousel so easily? I have ridden a carousel many times, and I am certain it would take some real effort on my part to fall off and actually injure myself. Still, in all honesty most of these things are small (yet annoying) offenders and there’s not a ton I can knock it for. The most immersion breaking thing of all is probably just that we can’t see more of the park during our playthrough.

MUSIC: Exceeds Expectations (7/10)
    I’m probably biased here because I LOVE carousel music, but I really enjoyed the music in this game (especially the tune we have to find for Joy). If there was carousel music going on, I was enjoying it. I wasn’t hyper-aware of it the entire time, but I do love that the game actually highlights a bit of it for us this time around by making it a part of the story.

GRAPHICS: Not Bad (4/10)
    We’re still in the “not bad” phase. Our characters are still a little stiff and unrealistic, but they do seem to get a little better with each game. I recall really enjoying the character design in SHA, but hating it in CLK, so we have a few more games of basically these graphics. But hopefully sometime after that we start seeing some real progression toward the more hyper-realistic characters we know HER is eventually capable of.

EXTRA STUFF/NOTES:
    We get to eat in this game!!!!! This was honestly the highlight of my experience, which is sad. But there’s just nothing quite like watching a pixelated meal disappear into nothingness. That being said, we actually do get a bunch of other stuff in this game!!! First and foremost, Nancy gets a CELL PHONE which is incredibly exciting because for the first time ever we don’t have to dial our phone contacts by hand. We also get some games from both the Midway and Nancy’s Laptop. None of them are all that great, but I played them all anyway and really appreciated having some extra stuff to do to break up my mystery solving. We also get our first TO DO list of the series in this entry. And we get awards!!! A lot of great stuff was introduced here.

And lastly, just an unrelated comment about Miles because I didn’t really discuss him up until this point, and I find it hilariously brilliant that he’s made out of an EZ Bake oven! I also love Nancy’s description of him to the Hardy Boys as a “Weird looking thing, like somebody threw a bunch of junk together and programmed it to see, hear and speak.” There’s a word for that Nancy, that is known as a ROBOT.

Also, we get another easter egg in this game (that I yet again did not nab during my playthrough), but it’s actually a really entertaining one in my opinion so I recommend finding it in your own run. Also, this is the first playthrough where I noticed the Poppy Dada painting, which is a cool nod to a previous game.
    FINAL SCORE: Not Bad (4/10)

I consider this to be a lackluster entry to the series, particularly because of the lack of rewarding exploration and the rather flat characters that we’re given. However, it isn’t bad, and I would actually recommend it to new or younger players as it does serve as a great introduction to a lot of the things that this series has to offer without being difficult or frustrating. It has an easygoing plot with a rewarding ending and the experience it provides isn’t unpleasant. It’s just that in my opinion, it could have been so much better if HER had made a few different choices along the way.

THROWBACK REVIEW SERIES - ALL REVIEWS

SCK | STFD | MHM | TRT | FIN | SSH | DOG | CAR | DDI | SHA
    Last edited by Jett; December 4th, 2019, 12:35 PM.

As anticipated, this is another remarkable review!!! I agree with almost every point you made, especially your commentary about the characters and setting, but I've highlighted a few that really stood out to me:

Ingrid is the chief engineer at Captain’s Cove, and apparently her motive is that she likes expensive things. This is a terrible motive, because a lot of people like expensive things and that does not make them a criminal. There is nothing wrong with having expensive taste, and also Nancy seems to underestimate the salary of an engineer. This lady probably makes bank, and it’s really not Nancy’s business to be pestering her about her financial decisions anyway. We get very little information about her outside of this, aside from the fact that she can apparently sense people’s auras. I felt like this was an odd choice for her character. I’m sure they did it to try to make her quirky, but I think I would have liked her better if they made her character a little more serious and… oh I don’t know. Engineer-y??? I don’t like when they make random characters “quirky” just for the sake of being quirky, is what I’m trying to say, and I feel like that’s what happened here. Either give me Hotchkiss-level commitment or just give me a normal, believable character. Ingrid, like Harlan, feels flat and doesn’t have much to say most of the time.
    I'm so glad you are as annoyed by Nancy's unwarranted suspicion of her. It's so...I don't even know. That is not the kind of prejudice I expected to see in a ND game. She's the chief engineer at an amusement park. Sis is going to make bank. Plus, there is nothing wrong with having expensive taste, especially when you can afford it. It doesn't mean you're shallow. I will never understand why the writer's felt it necessary to include that whole part of the story. I actually think Ingrid's interest in holistic medicine, astrology, and New Age is interesting. I think if we knew more about her beyond these quirks it might not seem as jarring with her profession. I can't say she's anything like any of my engineer friends, but that doesn't mean that it's an impossible combination of interests. Still, I do agree that it feels more like they gave her those interests to make her more...unique. I must say, I like their take on female scientists much better in DED.

Don’t get me wrong, Joy’s backstory is super well done, and Miles added a nice depth to her character. The problem with Joy is that even when she opens up to Nancy (and to herself) her personality is still just… dreary. Basically, the game TELLS us she has depth. But does she actually? I’m not convinced,
    THIS. As much as I ultimately like Joy, your point was spot on. All I could think about was my creative writing professors saying "show, don't tell" back in the day. There's certainly some growth to her character from start to finish, but there's really not much depth to her at the end of the day.

Anyway, I could say a whole lot more, but at this point I would just be reiterating what you have already said so well. Great job, and I can't wait to read the next one!

P.S. Rolfe Kessler is not a real person. I researched.

Comment

I actually think Ingrid's interest in holistic medicine, astrology, and New Age is interesting. I think if we knew more about her beyond these quirks it might not seem as jarring with her profession. I can't say she's anything like any of my engineer friends, but that doesn't mean that it's an impossible combination of interests.
      Yeah, this is true, it's most definitely not impossible. I just wish it had been done a little (a lot) better in this case, because I think the unfortunate side effect was that she came across less as a competent engineer and too much as "new-agey." And I think it's really just because HER didn't give us enough of EITHER side of her, and therefore all of the emphasis ends up on the quirkier aspects of her personality. There isn't much dialogue or backstory about her engineering skills, but we get a TON about her holistic medicine interests (it's even a huge part of the plot once we start looking into her motives a little deeper.) And furthermore, instead of EXPLAINING anything to Nancy about any of the "engineering" stuff she has to do (I say that lightly because a little wiring is NOT engineering lol), she just throws a book at her and acts as though her job is the easiest thing ever and any teenage girl can do it which kind of downplays her character AND her job a bit. I mean, I have a TON of friends who are engineers now. My husband is an engineer. And let me tell you, when they talk about work they might as well be speaking a different language, I have no idea what's going on . So I think it would have been really nice to see some of that from Ingrid at SOME point in the game, and we just never got it

Comment

Originally posted by Jett View Post

Yeah, this is true, it's most definitely not impossible. I just wish it had been done a little (a lot) better in this case, because I think the unfortunate side effect was that she came across less as a competent engineer and too much as "new-agey." And I think it's really just because HER didn't give us enough of EITHER side of her, and therefore all of the emphasis ends up on the quirkier aspects of her personality. There isn't much dialogue or backstory about her engineering skills, but we get a TON about her holistic medicine interests (it's even a huge part of the plot once we start looking into her motives a little deeper.) And furthermore, instead of EXPLAINING anything to Nancy about any of the "engineering" stuff she has to do (I say that lightly because a little wiring is NOT engineering lol), she just throws a book at her and acts as though her job is the easiest thing ever and any teenage girl can do it which kind of downplays her character AND her job a bit. I mean, I have a TON of friends who are engineers now. My husband is an engineer. And let me tell you, when they talk about work they might as well be speaking a different language, I have no idea what's going on . So I think it would have been really nice to see some of that from Ingrid at SOME point in the game, and we just never got it
        That’s an excellent point, and I agree entirely. We never do get the sense that she is an actual engineer at all, minus the fact that we’re told she is and she is in a lab/workshop. When I think of stuff she says in the game, I basically remember her talking about niacin more than anything else. I know that whenever my friends or little brother (who’s in school for engineering right now) try to talk to me about anything relating to their work, I have to remind them that I don’t even speak the basic fundamentals of their language. It’s the same for any specialized field, but I feel like engineering in particular is immensely harder for a layman to understand. Even philosophy is a little bit more accessible if you break down the terminology and concepts for whomever you’re talking to. So, you’re right, the quirky interests really do end up being the crux of her personality, which does her and her work a disservice. (You’re totally right about her basically downplaying her work by assuming an untrained teenager could do it with a handy, dandy notebook, and I never realized that before. It makes me sad.) Unfortunately, I think the explanation for that failures that the writers were out of their depth, so they didn’t even bother to try. I find that to be very lazy and disappointing—they could have done some research or talked to actual engineers—but it’s a common theme I’ve noticed in the games. Anyway, I’m glad you brought that up!

Comment

Though SHA was my first game, CAR was the first game I ever completed, so for a few years I thought it was the coolest thing. Now its near the bottom of my list, mostly for the reason you gave that exploration abilities in this game are terrible- I also think its too short, and the only character I really like is Miles the Machine. Frank, Joe, Bess, and George are really fun to talk to, and that's about it. Oh, and the tune on the third roll- I've always found it catchy and would find myself humming it at random times. Barnacle Blast is THE WORST!!!!!!
          Last edited by Juliana+Walter; November 27th, 2019, 02:07 PM.
          Stay Tuned for Danger- Lights, Camera,CURSES! - MIDNIGHT IN SALEM

find out what I think of these games, and 30 others,
          here.

Comment

Working...
          X