• Sunay Reviews: The Haunting of Castle Malloy [★★/★★★]

a guide to my overall ratings :
    = Not worth your time
    ★ ★ = Could be worse
    ★ ★ ★ = Pretty good
    ★ ★ ★ ★ = Wow! Great game
    ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ = Best. Game. EVER.

intro
    : Hey guys! I'm Sunay, and today I'm going to be reviewing HAU. I've been meaning to post this since I finished the game several months ago, however I am just now getting around to it!Hopefully I'll be able to clearly say what I think.

By the way, if you've never read one of my reviews, let me give you the low-down: I separate my reviews into 9 parts. I go over the plot, setting, characters, puzzles, ending(s), the scary level (if the game is intended to be scary), and now I also review character diversity, gameplay, and cover art! I give each section a rating out of five stars, then average that out for the overall rating. Pretty straightforward. I like doing my reviews this way because it is less clutter, which means it's easier for you guys to read! As always, your opinions are appreciated, not only on my review but on the game itself. I love hearing the different opinions you guys have :) All that being said, let's begin.

plot : ★ ★ ★ ★
    Unveil a Ghostly Legend and Find a Vanished Groom! Touted as the most romantic event to grace the ruined halls of Ireland’s Castle Malloy, the Simmons-Mallory wedding was supposed to be a fairytale beginning, but now the groom is missing! Did a banshee crash the wedding or is this a case of cold feet? Can you, as Nancy Drew, unravel the knot of scattered clues and scary superstitions? You’ll need to catch more than a bridal bouquet to make this a happily ever after!
    Although I'm usually a fan of the games with supernatural/mythological elements, I feel like the plot was more focused on the whole missing groom thing as opposed to the banshee and such. And when you think about it, the 'missing groom' thing has been done before (albeit, not in any ND game, as far as I'm aware). It's just a bit boring. 2 out of 5 stars for this section.

setting :
    ★ ★ ★
    This is one of my favorite settings in an ND game. I love the games that take place during the night; to me, it really takes the games to a whole other level. Plus, the castle was beautiful and I enjoyed the other places we got to visit as well. 3 out of 5 stars.

cover art :
    ★ ★ ★ ★
    The cover art is simple but nice! I feel like it's a fair representation of what the game is about, and it's a good indicator of what type of gameplay you'll be experiencing. 3 out of 5 stars.

gameplay :
    ★ ★ ★ ★
    I feel like there was plenty of content as far as gameplay is concerned. There were a few times when I got bored because I had nothing to do, but on the whole there was plenty of things to keep me occupied and I enjoyed most of them! 3 out of 5 stars.

characters :

The characters were okay. Not the most memorable. Ditto for the phone characters. I can't remember if we even had any of those. Did we? 2 out of 5 stars.

character diversity :
    ★ ★★ ★ ★
    Every character was white, thin, and able-bodied. 0 out of 5 stars. And may I just say? I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

puzzles :
    ★ ★
    The puzzles were nice, challenging but not extremely so. Honestly, I don't tend to be a fan of any of the puzzles, so this section only gets 2 out of 5 stars. This doesn't mean that the puzzles were bad, just that they weren't my cup of tea.

ending(s) : ★ ★
    The ending was good. Kind of predictable, but just exciting enough (for me, anyway). It definitely wasn't the worst ending in ND history, nor the best. 2 out of 5 stars.

scary meter :

I don't think this game was scary, so much as creepy. Keeping that in mind, there were some moments when I was definitely creeped out. However, this is for sure not the creepiest ND game I've ever played. I'm giving the creepiness factor a 3 out of 5 stars. I had quite a bit of fun playing HAU, but probably not enough to play it again. Overall, 2 out of 5 stars.

overall :
    ★ ★
    I had quite a bit of fun playing HAU, but honestly probably not enough to play it again. Overall, 2 out of 5 stars.

Many thanks to everyone who read this review :)

Happy gaming!
    ~ Sunay
    CASE CLOSED:
    SCK, SCK2, DOG, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK, TRN, DAN, CRE, CRY
    HAU, WAC, TOT, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH, SPY, LCC, RED, LIE, SEA

CURRENTLY SOLVING:
    ICE, VEN

Working...
X