Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAU Review

The Haunting of Castle Malloy: released in October 2008

Based on the Book: The Bike Tour Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #168, published in 2002)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not at all. The fact that they both take place in Ireland is pretty much the only similarity.

The Mystery/Crime: Missing person

Mode Of Transportation: N/A (Nancy walks everywhere except when she is driving her car in the beginning of the game).

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Irish history, folklore, and customs

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy goes to Ireland to be her friend Kyler's maid of honor. She arrives to discover that Kyler's husband-to-be Matt has disappeared. Nancy investigates to determine what could have happened to him.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Donal Delaney - the castle's caretaker who believes in Irish folklore such as fairies and banshees
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Ciaran Hinds

Kit Foley - Matt's best friend
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Ashton Kutcher

Kyler Mallory - the bride-to-be; Nancy's friend
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Emily Blunt

Matt Simmons - the groom-to-be who has disappeared
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Tom Hardy

Phone Characters:

Alan Paine - Matt's best man

Bess Marvin and George Fayne - Nancy's friends

Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend

Other characters:

The creature that ran in front of Nancy's car, which looks kind of like an old woman or possibly a banshee

Seamus - the waiter at the inn

Madame Isibeal - a fortune-telling robot

The crows

The sheep

My favorite quotes:

"Sounds to me like the 'Good People' are actually just the opposite." - Nancy Drew

"Quaint as in charming, or quaint as in a borderline health hazard?" - Bess Marvin

"Loves her he does indeed - he's all but wearin' a sign saying' so." - Donal Delaney

"Nancy, clearly neither you nor Kyler know what a maid of honor is supposed to do." - Bess Marvin, upon learning that Nancy has been shearing sheep

My Thoughts: This was the first Nancy Drew game about which I had any negative feelings. (It should be noted that I did NOT play the games in chronological order). I just remember that I suddenly realized during my first time of playing the game that I wasn't really enjoying it the way I had enjoyed the other Nancy Drew games I'd played. I admit that I liked the game much better on subsequent plays, but it still remains one of my least favorite games of the series. I didn't like how little interaction there was with the characters and I didn't like that so many of the puzzles/tasks were so long and tedious. The thing I liked least about it, though, was how far-fetched so much of it was. Several of the games have some pretty far-fetched endings, but the ending of this one was just too out there for me, as well as was the other far-fetched stuff such as all the advanced technology that is used.

I didn't completely dislike it, though. There were some good points. I liked learning about Irish history and folklore. I thought it had a decent story line (minus the crazy ending). I liked that there were a decent amount of places to explore. Since my favorite type of task in games is finding things, I also really liked finding flowers and finding the sheep to herd them into the barn.

In conclusion, I like the game enough to play it multiple times and I do get some enjoyment out of it, but I didn't like it as much as I like most of the other games.

My random comment: Minkie McNab is a very strange name.

My Rating: 6/10

While I do really like HAU, you do have some very good points!
    The ending is kinda out there. It also can be annoying when doing one of the puzzles. (Don't know if I can say which one in case it's a spoiler, but it's not hard to guess if you've played the game. ) I never finished the game for the longest time because of that one puzzle I wouldn't figure out! Although I did eventually after a long time try again and did finish it!
    Some of the puzzles can be long, but enjoyed most of them.
    I feel like what disappointed me the most is I always expected this game to be at least somewhat scary, but it really wasn't. I was hoping for more scenes with the banshee or something. All of which aren't that scary. They might make you jump, but that's about it. Although this game might never have been meant to be that scary in the first place and that it's just me who wanted more with the scary factor!
    ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
    (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
    .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
    ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
    ..( ..)
    c('')('')

Comment

Working...
    X