X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My [Spoiler-Free] HAU Reveiw

The Haunting of Castle Malloy
    A review by Tigeress_10

Plot: The plot of this game is even better than VEN's, I felt. A groom missing four days before the wedding? I wish that they'd developed the time limit, like they did with FIN, but it was still an amazing plot. And the little subplots about the character's ideas about where Matt was proved to be interesting too. 9/10

Setting/Atmosphere: I've only been to Ireland once, but I felt like I was there again in this game. The brick, rolling green hills, the ocean...all of that spells Ireland to me. The music only further helped the atmosphere. I know there were only a few rooms you got to see in the castle, but it was necessary for the plot to work out the way it did, so it's not like I can complain about that. One thing that did annoy me, though, was how even though there were loads of places to explore in the grounds you only got to turn around, see a different view of said location, etc, once or twice. Heck, in some places, not at all. So while that was disappointing, the grounds were huge, and the castle and the Inn were all perfectly created, with a wonderful Irish atmosphere for the whole thing. 9.5/10

Characters:Without a doubt, the game's biggest fault. The characters themselves are sometimes interesting, sometimes not--it's how little you get to talk to them at all that annoys me greatly. You're always off solving puzzles along the grounds. In the beginning, when you meet the characters, they won't stop talking, and it's in fact a little boring how much you have to listen to them talk. After that, though, they rarely speak to you. It's just a couple of sentences here and there, maybe on or two long discussions further on in the game. For Kit and Kyler, at least. Donal felt like he was just thrown in at the last minute--you only needed to talk to him three times, really. I'd compare it to ICE in terms of character interaction. But the characters themselves--or at least, Kit and Kyler, I grew to really care for, maybe just because this was one of the few plots where the characters have a huge emotional stake in what's happening, rather than financial. So I'm torn on this one. I guess I'd give them a 7/10

Puzzles: VEN was mostly detective work. HAU is mostly puzzle-work, and intricate, confusing puzzles at that. I enjoyed all of them, only needed to use a spoiler once and that was when I'd already read and re-read the material to help us with the puzzle and was still confused. There are so many puzzles, and none are in any way forgettable--a couple make them into my favorites of all the games, really. (Including the one and the end that everyone hated. I loved that one.) 10/10

Music: The music for HAU is gorgeous. At times I'd stop in the middle of gameplay and just listen to it. It's in the top 3 of game music, surely. A lot of it borrowed from DDI, but the instruments were different and the feel was more serious, so it wasn't all that noticeable. 10/10

Ending: I'm not very happy with the choice of the culprit, but like I said before, the character interaction is so lacking that really, I probably would've hated whomever they chose. As it was, I was satisfied with the ending puzzle, scene of Nancy explaining, and the scene right before the ending puzzle is definitely one of the best. It's just the culprit themselves that's not very good. But hey, no mini-games! At all. Just very hard, rewarding puzzles. 8/10

Other:
    • The new second-chance feature? While it still annoys me greatly, you CAN skip it. Just go to load game, and choose the second chance. And they made me laugh a lot--they got stale after getting them 5 times, but then I just skipped.
    • The graphics were amazing. The expressions on Kyler and Kit's faces were filled with emotion at points, and Donal waving you off to do something for him also looked great. The grounds were perfect, too.
    • I didn't mind the third person view. I actually really liked it. It added a serene, creepy feel, and it was fun to discover new locations.
    • The scare factor wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I was on the edge all the time when I was playing, waiting for something scary to happen. It did occasionally, but I never screamed and dropped what I was holding like in CUR. Unlike CUR, however, the music was generally creepy at times.
    • The bloopers were hysterical.

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10, which is higher than any game has gotten from me since CUR (though I need to play CLK), and something which I didn't expect to get, really. I loved it and will be replaying it again and again in the future. The next game looks even better.

The games are really getting back on track now, with VEN and then this. And that's something I'm very happy to say.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Tigeress_10; October 25, 2008, 12:31 AM.
    Tigeress_10
    My 5* Reviews

SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG
    CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN
    DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN
    HAU RAN
    WAC

All cased closed

I love all your reviews! :) I've pretty much read all of them .. *coughcough* .. and I agree with you on all your ideas. Well, besides VEN, I just didn't really like it, but oh well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Great job! :D
    ......."Change is nature. THE PART WE CAN influence. And it starts when we decide."
    .........................( DisneY Pixar ].........................................- Remy FROM Ratatouille.

Comment

Originally posted by writer ♥ View Post
      I love all your reviews! :) I've pretty much read all of them .. *coughcough* .. and I agree with you on all your ideas. Well, besides VEN, I just didn't really like it, but oh well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Great job! :D
      Thank you! I'm glad you like them. I have pretty mixed feeling about VEN, though I did give it a good rating, but as I said, I felt HAU to be a lot better. So I hope you enjoy it.
      Tigeress_10
      My 5* Reviews

SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG
      CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN
      DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN
      HAU RAN
      WAC

All cased closed

Comment

I love your review! I have to say that the first couple times I played HAU, I was not overly impressed. I hated the end. I mean, there is no real crime committed. I was disappointed with the culprit who is not really a culprit if you know what I mean. I hated third person and thought what little of Ireland I could see was good. I liked Kyler, and Kit, and Donal, but Matt drove me nuts. I was going insane on the end puzzle. Especially the chemicals, which is easy enough to know what to do, it is just time consuming. This game had the hardest puzzles except for RAN. While some of them were fun, most were not. I did like the creepiness, the scary jumpy parts, the mixing drinks, the castle, and the drums. I like this game, but it does not rank among my favorites.
        Read my game reviews!
        MHM, TRT, DDI,
        LABYRINTH OF LIES: http://community.herinteractive.com/showthread.php?1310128-Navigating-the-Labyrinth-of-Lies!-FancyNancy16-Review&p=8309421#post8309421]LIE

LORD OF THE RINGS
        Become who you were born to be.

I have completed every Nancy Drew Game!
        Click here for my petition for another ND original yellow hardback mystery!
        Check out my sig shop here!

Comment

Working...
        X