• What I ~Really~ Thought:

.......................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:

The Haunting of

سسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسس
    Castle Malloy
    سسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسسس

Edition

All aboard the last train to blue moon canyon, because I have no idea where this is going.

Plot

Nancy has been invited to be the maid-of-honor at an old friend’s wedding…in Ireland! But on her way to Castle Malloy, a mysterious figure runs in front of her car, causing her to drive into a ditch. The only clue left behind? A handmade doll dressed like a groom. When Nancy finally meets up with Kyler, the bride-to-be, she informs her that her fiancé, Matt, has been missing for days. She thinks he’s just playing a practical joke, but our favorite sleuth isn’t so sure, so she sets out to find him.

I don’t know, it sounds ok on paper but there’s just something about the story that doesn’t work. It doesn’t feel very fleshed out, or have any major twists. Your goal is to find Matt, and that’s basically all you do.

the plot gets 5/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics

When you see through Nancy’s eyes, HAU achieves the best graphics yet. There are still some flaws in the characters, mostly Kit and another character, but overall - Good work HeR!

But then we get to the third person navigation. Yes, in order to move around outside, you must see to top of Nancy’s head but, it’s not as bad as CRY….its much worse. You control her using the arrow keys or clicking and holding in the direction you want her to go. It’s very un-nancy-ish (if that were a word) On top of that, the graphics look terrible. It’s hard to tell where the grass stops and the trees begin. Plus, Nancy is oddly proportioned and walks with terrible posture. The navigation really brings the whole game down.

So when it comes to graphics: two steps forward, three and a half steps back.

Oh, and what was with them adding in actual people, and animated faces on actual bodies? (at the end, during the recap) It’s not the first time but it’s still weird.

No rating this time, but I think I’ve made my feelings pretty clear

Setting

The setting is kind of blah. You start off exploring the small castle and a nearby inn/pub. More places unlock as the game progresses but it still feels very scattered. I think my main frustration is that there seems to be a lot of interesting things to look at but you can’t click on them or zoom in on them or anything along those lines. Drawers left unopened, papers you can’t read, that sort of thing. I don’t know if you ever really feel like your in Ireland but, it looks pretty and it seems as though a good bit of thought was put into adding extra details.

And since music kind of relates to the setting, I’ll mention it here. One of the songs was clearly inspired by a song in CAR and another was (I’m almost certain) taken directly from DDI with no alterations. Or maybe it’s the same song, I don’t really remember but it was disappointing nonetheless.

No rating for setting either (see graphics, particularly that big paragraph)

Puzzles

Puzzles are pretty much the foundation of this game. Thats fine, plenty of other games are built upon puzzles (CUR, CRY, etc.) However, for a game that focuses on puzzles, it definitely could have used more, or at least some additional activities. But overall, I think they’re pretty fun and creative. Well, until you get to the ending but we’ll talk about that later.

I give them 7/10

Characters

HAU seems to have gone backwards in character interaction and development. You don’t really learn that much more about them as the game progresses and there aren’t too many times where you actually need them. Donal is kind of amusing, but they’re all pretty dull.

3/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

The ending, oh, the ending. I’ll say this: it was unexpected. Silly beyond belief but, definitely a surprise. There are several steps which is a plus, but there is no heart-pounding excitement or any excitement at all for that matter.

It’s not CRE’s level of bad, more like CRY’s level of bad.

I give it 2/10

Overall

There’s something about HAU. Like I said before, it sounds good on paper but it just wasn’t executed well. Maybe if it was more fun, I could overlook some of the problems, but it’s just lacking. It’s pretty short, too. It only took me 7-8 hours the first time around.

It feels rushed, scattered, and really disappointing after VEN.

Overall score: 3/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 4/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 3/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; June 19, 2010, 11:36 AM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

I felt the exact same way....very disappointing. Great review. gave reps!
    can you dig it?
    ...............................................<3 volleyball

Comment

Great Review. I am debating on whether to buy this game or not. THanks for the review!
      Being "normal" is vastly over-rated
      (c)taytay24

Signature Shoppe-->

Comment

I agree with you on the graphics and the ending, but I disagree with you on the music. I thought the music was amazing in this game! It sounded so Irish! I loved it! I actually thought it was a pretty good game, but thanks for sharing your opinion!
        . .. .. .. .. .. ...| . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ...,•*¨¯¨*•,
        . .. .. ...\ . .. .. .. ../. ...You are my sunshine. ...,•*¨¯¨*•,. •,¸¸,'
        . .. .. .. .. ,•*¨¯¨*•, . .. .. .My only sunshine. .. .',¸¸,• . ...`·.
        . .. . -- .. ( . .. .. . ) .. -- ..You make me happy. .. .. .. .. ...`×.,¸_¸,.×´¨¯¨*•,
        . .. .. .. ...`•.,¸¸,.•´ . .. .. .when skies are gray. . . .. . ,•*¨¯¨*•,. . You never know dear
        . .. .. .. ../ . .. .. ..\ . .`·. . .. .. .. .. ...,•*¨¯¨*•, . ..',¸¸,• . ..). . How much I love you...
        . .. .. .. .. .. ..|. .. .. .. .. .`×.,¸__¸,.×´ . .. .. ...`×.,¸__¸,.×´. . Please don't take my
        ©L.bulldog + Jimmie Davis .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ...sunshine away...

Jeremiah 29:11♥

Comment

Great Review! I totally agree with you on the graphics and the characters. especially the characters, they didn't have much of a purpose at all. But I like the music, and I don't think they used one from DDI. I think I know which one you mean though, and it is kind of similar, but definatly not the same.
          Snowshoe*cat94
          Last edited by Snowshoe*cat94; April 28, 2009, 04:50 PM.
          Snowshoe*cat94

Comment

Awesome review! I laughed when I read the thing about her posture.
            My mom and I thought she walked like Shaggy from scooby Doo!

Nancy Drew So totally rocks!!!!!
            We have....
            Discovered that secrets can kill
            solved stay tuned for danger
            deciphered the message in the haunted mansion
            found the treasure in the royal tower
            watched the final scene
            unraveled the secret of the scarlet hand
            tamed the ghost dogs of moon lake
            ridden the haunted carousel
            discovered the danger on deception island
            learned the secret of shadow ranch
            broken the curse of Blackmoor Manor
            unlocked the secret of the old clock
            ridden the lost train to blue moon canyon
            unmasked the danger by design
            uncovered the creature of Kapu cave
            and braved the white wolf of icicle creek

revealed the Legend of the crystal skull
            unveiled the phantom of venice
            solved the haunting ofCastle Malloy,
            foiled the kidnappers in ransom of the seven seas,
            followed the trail of the twister
            learned the lessons at Waverly Academy,
            discovered the shadow at the water's edge,
            defeated the monster at captive curse,
            solved the alibi in ashes

found the tomb of the lost queen
            revealed the ghost of thornton hall
            deactivated the deadly device,
            aided the silent spy,
            put together the shattered medallion

...... and lived to tell the tale

Comment

Originally posted by jacknlarz View Post
              Awesome review! I laughed when I read the thing about her posture.
              My mom and I thought she walked like Shaggy from scooby Doo!
              I thought the exact same thing! It was so weird, right
              aka SnappyBlueRoadster

LCC RED

Comment

Yes, her posture was bad, but who will that stop? I thought this was one of the best games yet! Mind you, we all have different opinions, I just think that this game was a lot better than you described.

~Kitty
                I dare you to let me be your one and only.
                -; adele -- o n e a n d o n l y
                ·.¸_¸.·´¯`·

Sorry I haven't been on lately.... I have been super busy!

Comment

Great review!
                  I liked the game much more than you did, but I completely agree with you about the ending. Yikes.

Comment

***edited to remove spoiler***
                    catsandbooks
                    Super Moderator
                    Last edited by catsandbooks; May 5, 2009, 12:31 PM.
                    can you dig it?
                    ...............................................<3 volleyball

Comment

I thought this game was amazing!! I can see where your going with the characters, I think Kit had a bit of bad detail ... but the music was soo totally Irish!!!!! But I can see what your saying all the way!! Great review! :) Reps to youuuu !!!
                      currently playing: Tomb of the Lost Queen. {TMB}

Check!
                      SCK SCK2 STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH SPY MED LIE SEA

<<-- click. (I made this years ago but give it a go if you're interested) ツ

patiently awaiting MID

Comment

Oh no. This makes me upset. Every review you make I agree 100% on, and it seems like HER isn't making the games like they used too!

I will still buy it, and I appreciate your review!
                        .nicole.

SCK | STFD | MHM | TRT | FIN | SSH | DOG | CAR | DDI | SHA | CUR | CLK | TRN | DAN | CRE | ICE | VEN | RAN | WAC

Thanks if you helped me with anything!

Comment

Bummer. Sounds pretty dissapointing despite the huge potential. Creepiness 4... do you think I can handle it? Check out my solved cases. The game DOES sound creepy.
                          Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

I agree completely!
                            +88_________________+880_______
                            _+880_______________++80_______
                            _++88______________+880________
                            _++88_____________++88________
                            __+880___________++88_________
                            __+888_________++880__________
                            __++880_______++880___________
                            __++888_____+++880____________
                            __++8888__+++8880++88_________
                            __+++8888+++8880++8888________
                            ___++888++8888+++888888+80____
                            ___++88++8888++8888888++888___
                            ___++++++888888fx88888888888___
                            ____++++++88888888888888888___
                            ____++++++++000888888888888___
                            _____+++++++00008f8888888888___
                            ______+++++++00088888888888___
                            _______+++++++0888f8888888____
                            _______+++++++08888l888888____
                            ________+++++++8888888888.......

Comment

Originally posted by bro/sis team View Post
                              Bummer. Sounds pretty dissapointing despite the huge potential. Creepiness 4... do you think I can handle it? Check out my solved cases. The game DOES sound creepy.
                              I definitely think it's scarier than any of the other games that you've played so far. But I don't know, its hard for me to say if you'll like it because I don't scare easily. Sorry I can't be of more help
                              aka SnappyBlueRoadster

LCC RED

Comment

Working...
                              X