Locked Desk - Junior Detective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Desk - Junior Detective

I am stuck on the roll top desk in the tower. Spoilers welcome and junior detective
    .•*´¯`*•.
    `._¸.•…)¸.-••-.¸
    ……¸.•´……¸.•
    …..( AMERICAN PHARAOH
    ……`*•-.¸
    …………`•¸2015 Triple Crown Winner
    .•*´¯`*•¸…..)The 37 year drought has ended. A legend is born.
    (…`•-•´…¸.•
    `•-.¸_¸.-•´

Did you look all around the room? Did you find a paper in a drawer? You need to follow up on that list to get the lock combination.
    ¸.•*¨¯¨*ّ¸......catsandbooks
    ((
    ..*•.¸_¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.......... A library is not a luxury
    ......¸.•*.....*•.¸_¸))............... but one of the necessities of life!
    ......*•.¸_¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸...¥.¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.
    .................................H.W. Beecher + ©allas؛•.¸_¸.•؛
    Please follow the rules................................................... ...............Isaiah 40:31
    FAQ and New Member Resources
    [/FONT] Please be sure your signatures follow the Siggie Ruler. ◄ Click here to double check.

Comment

Yes I did all of those things. Was working on it but not getting it so that's why I asked for a spoiler
      .•*´¯`*•.
      `._¸.•…)¸.-••-.¸
      ……¸.•´……¸.•
      …..( AMERICAN PHARAOH
      ……`*•-.¸
      (…`•-•´…¸.•
      `•-.¸_¸.-•´

Comment

Originally posted by GallopRacer View Post
        Yes I did all of those things. Was working on it but not getting it so that's why I asked for a spoiler
        Ah, well you didn't say that! 😄 Are you having trouble finding the books, or just figuring out the letters? And have you been to the island? A spoiler won't work unless you have actually found the books and the island letter.
        ((
        Please follow the rules................................................... ...............Isaiah 40:31
        [/FONT] Please be sure your signatures follow the Siggie Ruler. ◄ Click here to double check.

Comment

I have been to the island, yes. I have looked at all of the books and am having trouble figuring out the letters to put in the locked desk. I know I am supposed to follow the clues inside each book.
          .•*´¯`*•.
          `._¸.•…)¸.-••-.¸
          ……¸.•´……¸.•
          …..( AMERICAN PHARAOH
          ……`*•-.¸
          (…`•-•´…¸.•
          `•-.¸_¸.-•´

Comment

C Q L X N

If you want to know how to figure it out:

Originally posted by Girl Detective
            Here's what I did and I'm not positive this is right, but it worked for me:
            Originally posted by Girl Detective

For Nautical Cartography, the inscription was: "To our dear friend: One year soon you'll finally join us here. The seas await your notice."

This let me know that the first letter was C.

For Zoopraxiscope, the inscription was "Animals abound, in a merry round. Seated in the middle, can answer the riddle. On legs of four, they spin ever more."

The word four pointed to the fourth letter in the code and X is in the very center of the word Zoopraxiscope. Also X has four "legs" and could spin around like a merry go round.

For Hydroponics and Aeroponics: Growing Without Soil, the inscription was " Three years into the study. By removing all duplicates, I find that the only remaining consonant is key."

Three is the third letter in the code. After removing all of the duplicate consonants in the title, I was left with Y and L. I guess L was used because in phonics, sometime Y can be considered a vowel if used with another letter.

For Ersatz Quidnuncs, the inscription was a set of directions for a message, which when read, left you with a single letter. I did this one on a word processor, so I could delete and transpose letters without the messiness of crossing them out. Here's how I arrived at the final message, line by line:

E R S A T Z Q U I D N U N C S

S R S A T Z Q U I D N U N C E

S P S A T W Q U I D N U N C E

P S A T W Q I D U N C E

P S A T Q W I D U N C E

U N P S A T Q W I D C E

U N P S A L T Q W I D L C E

U N P S O L T Q W I D L C O

U N P S T O L Q W I D L C O

U N S P T O L Q W I D L C O

U N S P T O L Q W I C L D O

U N S P T O Q W I C L L D O

S P U N T O Q W I C L L D O

S P U N T O Q W I L L D O

It says "spun to Q will do," so this let's you know that Q is the letter you will spin the dial to.

And of course, the last letter was from the little island.
            So this is how I arrived at the answer for the desk. I hope this wasn't too much information.

((

Comment

Working...
            X