X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEN in One Word

Edited Again With Humor Review
    NEWLY Edited! (See Creep Factor, below)

What is that word?? WOW. Wow as in amazing, as in HER has gotten themselves out of the rut that I felt that some of the last games were in. (they just weren't sleuthy enough, or long enough, or exciting enough- but this is only a FEW of the last games mind you!) VEN is great. The way everything came together and was solved- there has never been a case solution like it. In fact, a lot of things in this game were completely new. And for that, I am VERY pleased. And the next game's trailer literally gave me chills! I can't wait! (Typically, the fall games are scarier, longer, and harder and #19 looks like it will match up to that!!) But back to VEN:

Scenery: Duh! It is amazing. Beauiful. My only complaint was that I wished there was more nighttime. The water looked beautiful the glimpses of it I had at night.

Characters: As you may have read, we never actually meet Fango, which was fine because he kind of creeped me out anyways. The other characters are great! I kind of wanted to tell Margherita to take a hike, but hey, you can't love all the suspects. Colin was, ha, flattering? But I'm a Ned person. Speaking of Ned, we get to talk to him on the phone, and as usual, he is sweet and protective. Anyways (can you tell by all my digressing just how much I loved this game and want to tell you guys all about it?), the characters all had some unique connection to the mystery, as always, whether culprit or not. And their facial expressions (mostly Colin's and Helena's) were great.

Plot: This would make a great spy movie. It had everything- eavesdropping (my fave), picking locks, warehouses with lasers, thefts, costumes, stakeouts, police contacts (Sophia was fun). Definitely one of the better plots. None of it was cliche.

Ending: Best ending in a while. Hard, creepy, and shocking. The way everything comes together is really cool, too.

Puzzles: Some easy, some REALLY hard, some in the middle. Nothing new in that respect, but I loved the way that a lot of the puzzles were concepts we've never seen before (like the much-anticipated laser "puzzle"). The laser puzzle took me a while, and the ending took me forever! But, that is a good thing because I hate when the endings are easy.

Creep Factor: Meh, in keeping with the tradition of summer games are not too creepy and fall games are scary- this game keeps that tradition. Like I said, the next game looks like it is going to take over the creepiness that was lacking in this game. Don't get me wrong- there were some scary parts (ahem- the phone call, some of the second chances), but it wasn't scary like Message in a Haunted Mansion, or Ghost Dogs, or CUR. But that was ok, this game definitely had so many other things going for it. There were some creepy surprises though.

Humor: This is by far the most humorous game. Especially the second chances (you'll see what I mean). HER really put in some sarcasm, and I actually laughed several times. The Joe/Ned convos were very funny as well.

I think that is it, without giving away my fave parts (which would be considered spoilers). But, feel free to ask me any questions you want!!
    NDFAshley
    Last edited by NDFAshley; July 3, 2008, 03:19 PM.

About three things I was absolutely positive.
    First, Edward was a vampire.
    Second, There was part of him--and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be--Do be sure your signatures follow all message board rules as well as signature content rules.

And Third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Twilight series (c) DivaDrew2008

Great in-depth review! 5 stars. Now I am even more excited for the game... I just have a couple questions. About how many hours did the game take you, total? And did you play Junior or Senior level? Thanks for the review, I needed something to do to pass my time before my game gets here (it's in a city only two hours away!) LOL.
    ........--.......Maddy......--
    ...........¸•*¨¯*•,............,•*¨¯*•¸
    ..........((....*•-•’............’•-•*....))
    .¸•*¨¯¨*•,*•,¸¸,•*¨¯*•, ,•*¯¨*•,¸¸,•* ,•*¨¯¨*•¸
    ((....*•-•’...)).....*•-•’ ’•-•*....((.....’•-•*....))
    ..*•.,¸_¸,.•* ¨¯¨*•¸..........¸•*¨¯¨*•.,¸_¸,.•*
    ,•*¨¯¨*•¸.............))......((............¸•*¨¯¨*•,
    .‘•-•*.....*•.,¸_¸,.•* ©*NS* *•.,¸_¸,.•*.....*•-•’

...•*¯*•.» S u n s e t S i g s -×-
    ........Petition For Less Third Person
    .......Petition For More Mature Games

Comment

Great review! I can't wait to play it now. And I was very glad to hear that you do get to talk to Ned in this one. I was hoping he would be a phone friend. Hehe. Thank you!

-~-Narnia
      for King & Country
      .................................................. ........HOPE IS WHAT WE CRAVE

Comment

Speaking of phone friends, what about Bess and George? Iheard that you can talk to Joe, but not Frank in the game. Is that true?
        I am a name known to all.

Comment

*Nancy Star* Great in-depth review! 5 stars. Now I am even more excited for the game... I just have a couple questions. About how many hours did the game take you, total? And did you play Junior or Senior level? Thanks for the review, I needed something to do to pass my time before my game gets here (it's in a city only two hours away!) LOL.
          Congrats on your game! I played Senior, and from what I hear there are some pretty big difficulty differences between Junior and Senior. Let's see 10 am thru 2 pm, and 5-9 pm. Give or take... 8 or 9 hours? With a few spoilers. I was proud of myself though, I only used spoilers for the one of the end parts!

ndgameboy Speaking of phone friends, what about Bess and George? Iheard that you can talk to Joe, but not Frank in the game. Is that true?
          Yes, that is true. It was a real interesting twist, since you kinda get the feeling of jealousy between Ned and the Hardy Boys in previous games. I'll let you see how it works out in VEN, though. Calling Ned/Joe was pretty humorous! I did it more often than necessary! lol The only other person you can call is Prudence Rutherford. No Bess and George, sadly. But atleast we got Joe/Ned!

Second, There was part of him--and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be--Do be sure your signatures follow all message board rules as well as signature content rules.

Comment

I want to buy this game really bad right now. :)

How was the music? I know that's a stupid question, but I'm very curious... The
            music makes the game special for me. :P

Comment

This sounds better than I thought.! I'm forcing myself to only read reviews. I can't waait three weeks!
              ♥My Game Collection♥

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
              |SCK|STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|
              |SSH|DOG_|CAR|DDI|SHA|
              |CUR|CLK_|TRN|DAN|CRE|
              |ICE|CRY_|VEN|HAU|RAN|
              |WAC|TOT_|SAW|CAP|ASH|
              |TMB|....|...|...|...|
              |...|SCK2|LCC|RED|...|
              GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Comment

Im just dieing for Phantom Of Venice... I already ordered it..and hopefully it will either come tomorrow or saturday... It sounds AHMAZING times 10

Comment

maybe it will!!!

Comment

We can only hope...

Comment

AWEOME REVIEW!!! Thanks also for not giving away any spoilers to us because I am anxious to get my game but I can't help but read the reviews! 1 question, did having more characters meant that you talked to them all more as a group, but you might only talk to some people once or twice? Did having more characters take away from the game?
                      Nancy Drew Game Ranking

1. Curse of Blackmoor Manor

2. Treasure in a Royal Castle

3. Haunting of Castle Malloy

4. Stay Tuned for Danger

5. Warnings at Waverly Academy

Comment

Wow! I can't wait to play it! I'm going nuts over here! I have to wait until it comes out in stores......but anyway, great review! Reps!
                        ………………………………………………………¸..¸
                        …………………………………………………♫ - (-'
                        …………………………………………………´· -' · ¸
                        ....….
                        Should nothing of our efforts stand…........)
                        , · ´ ¯ ` · . , ¸ ¸ , . · ´ ¯ ` · . , ¸ ¸ , . · ´ ¯ ` · . , ¸ ¸ , . · ´ (
                        ..(....♪,.....
                        No legacy survive…................................…..`)
                        `'°'´…......
                        Unless the Lord does raise the house`'°'´
                        In vain its builders strive.

All Glory Be to Christ.

Signature from olbrso. Edited by me. Thanks! :)

Comment

Great review! Reps for you!

Comment

Wow, I'm glad you guys liked the review. I'm excited for everyone to get your games, that way I can read YOUR reviews! Anyways:

my chem ♥- I want to buy this game really bad right now. :)

How was the music? I know that's a stupid question, but I'm very curious... The
                            music makes the game special for me. :P
                            Thats not a dumb question at all :). The music, to quote Helena, all so wonderfully... Venetian. And it really is. It is creepy in parts where it needs to be, and cheerful in others. It totally sets the right mood for the game. Definitely, 10/10.

Mysterylova10 AWEOME REVIEW!!! Thanks also for not giving away any spoilers to us because I am anxious to get my game but I can't help but read the reviews! 1 question, did having more characters meant that you talked to them all more as a group, but you might only talk to some people once or twice? Did having more characters take away from the game?
                            Thanks, and you are welcome. I tried to only include the things that most people already knew from trailers or whatnot. To answer your question, I love having more characters! It really keeps you going and wondering WHO IS THE CULPRIT? (ny) I did not feel that it took away from the game at all- it meant more stuff for me to do! As I mentioned earlier, you don't get to talk to Fango, but he is a pretty important chunk of the game. Enrico, you pretty much have to watch what you say around him- and you'll see why in the game. The other three characters you get to talk to a lot, and they also talk to each other and have convos that we get to eavesdrop on! I love good old fashioned detective work like that!

Comment

Totally awesome review!
                              You just got me even more excited about
                              getting the game! You told a good amount
                              about the game without giving anything away.

--Gabey

Comment

Working...
                              X