• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phantom of Venice Is A Steal - A Spoiler-Free Review

ConnectTheDots' Review
    of
    The Phantom of Venice

Bottom line: This game is one of the best ND games in recent years, combining stunning graphics with fun puzzles, interesting characters and a great plot. These things make the game well worth the price!

Plot

It's up to you as Nancy Drew to figure out who's behind the theft of well-known artifacts in Venice! And this time, you truly are an undercover detective in just about every way. It had a Mission: Impossible feel to it, which was actually really fun!

Characters

The characters in this game were fantastic, visually and personality-wise! They each had their own distinct personality and were fun to talk to. Visually, I don't think that HER has made more lifelike characters. Their mouths moved along with the words, which was a big plus. Also, their voices were so rich and colorful and very pleasant to listen to. Great job, HER!

One more note - I thought that Colin's facial expressions were hilarious!

Graphics

The graphics were simply stunning. I've been to Venice before, and as I was playing, I felt like I was right back in Italy (minus the hoardes of people and garbage floating in the canals). Such detail and vibrant colors!

Music

I felt like the music was very fitting for Carnevale, but not very Italian unless you were on the gondola. The music didn't stand out, I'll put it that way.

Puzzles

I first played this game on senior detective, and repeated the game on junior detective due to one challenging puzzle at the end. Other than that puzzle, the puzzles were not particularly difficult. There were some types of puzzles that would be considered old hat to ND gamers, but they also introduced several new and very fun puzzle-type things. I'll leave it at that!

In past ND games, I've felt like I've been solving puzzles for no particular reason. In this game, it wasn't like you solved a random puzzle and, coincidentally, you were rewarded with a clue. There was a reason for everything. This was a HUGE plus for me.

"The Scare Factor"

There wasn't anything scary in this game, really, just a few jumpy parts. The lack of scares didn't take anything away from the game.

Other Odds and Ends

- Scopa was ridiculously fun! I found myself going back to the table for no reason other than to play Scopa. At first, it was difficult to understand, but it didn't take long to get the hang of it.

- The cat suit was corny. I think a mask for Carnevale would have been more appropriate, although it still would have been weird. The dancing itself was bizarre, too, and didn't seem to belong in this game.

- I loved the gelato stand! Gelato is so underrated.

- There was PLENTY of snooping in this game, which is always fun.

THANK YOU for reading my review! Feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by ConnectTheDots; August 15, 2009, 03:17 PM. Reason: Removing spoiler-free from title
    My reviews - STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK,
    TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH and SPY

Wonderful detailed review! This sounds like a great game and I'm very excited to play it now. I like how you mentioned the puzzles served a purpose in the game. Glad to know there is plenty of snooping, as I love to snoop!
    May God give you...…….…....•*¨¯¨*•.
    .For every storm, a rainbow,..`•-•*….).….•*¨¯¨*•.
    ….For every tear, a smile,…….•*¨¯¨*•.¸..`•-•*…..)
    ……For every care, a promise,`•-•*……`•.,¸_¸,.•´
    .•*¨¯¨*•. And a blessing in each trial.....•*¨¯¨*•.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
    `•-•*…..) For every problem life sends,`•-•*….(…...*•-•´ .•*¨¯¨*•.
    ……¸.•´…...•*¨¯¨*•...A faithful friend to share,..`•.,¸_¸,.•´…..*•-•´
    ..•*¨¯¨*•.(.….*•-•´….For every sigh, a sweet song,
    (.….*•-•´ ¸.•*¨¯¨*•. ………And an answer for each prayer.
    .`•.,¸_¸,.•´..…*•-•´.…..¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
    ©LadyGreenleaf `•.,¸,.•´……*•-•´

Comment

just reading your review makes me want to go out and buy the game:]
      hahah.

i really want to accuallllllly:]
      …………….,·´¨¯`:;..... She's only interested in you because you're the "Chosen One."
      ……………((..*·-·´
      ………………`·.¸….………..;´¨¯¨`·,............But I am the Chosen One!
      ….………… ¸.·´ ;´¨¯¨`·,…….`·-·*))
      ……………((…...`·-·*..))……….¸.·´
      ……………..`·.,¸__¸,.¤´..,·´¨¯`:;..`·.¸
      ………………………))..((..*·-·´……))-Hermione and Harry in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
      …………..;:´¨¯¨`·.¸.·´……`·.,¸_¸,.¤´
      ©…………..'·.,¸¸,.·'`+.,¸_¸,.·´

Call me a nerd but I am in love with Harry Potter, well mostly the Weasly twins. ;D

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks to both of you!

SnoopySleuth51, snooping is kind of Nancy's job in this game. It's a fun job, I must say!

attyskid, I'm glad you want to - this is a good one!

Comment

Thanks for writing this review! I am getting VEN and I can't wait until it gets here!

Reps!

~Cami
          Happy Thanksgiving

.•*¨¯¨*•.….~~…..•*¨¯¨*•.
          .•*¨¯¨*•.(..♥ *•-•´...•*¨¯¨*•...`•-•* ♥..).•*¨¯¨*•.
          `•-•*©LG`•.,¸_¸,.•´…….…..`•.,¸_¸,.•´…..*•-•´

Click for my LAZY CHARACTERS petition!
          Click for my GAME IN ALASKA petition!
          Click for my NEW Trail of the Twister AE!

Comment

I've finished the game and it was great! I agree with your review The snooping was fun and so were the puzzles! I will definitely be playing this game again.
            May God give you...…….…....•*¨¯¨*•.
            .For every storm, a rainbow,..`•-•*….).….•*¨¯¨*•.
            ….For every tear, a smile,…….•*¨¯¨*•.¸..`•-•*…..)
            ……For every care, a promise,`•-•*……`•.,¸_¸,.•´
            .•*¨¯¨*•. And a blessing in each trial.....•*¨¯¨*•.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
            `•-•*…..) For every problem life sends,`•-•*….(…...*•-•´ .•*¨¯¨*•.
            ……¸.•´…...•*¨¯¨*•...A faithful friend to share,..`•.,¸_¸,.•´…..*•-•´
            ..•*¨¯¨*•.(.….*•-•´….For every sigh, a sweet song,
            (.….*•-•´ ¸.•*¨¯¨*•. ………And an answer for each prayer.
            .`•.,¸_¸,.•´..…*•-•´.…..¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
            ©LadyGreenleaf `•.,¸,.•´……*•-•´

Comment

Oh-my-Gawd!! You like took the words out of my brain!!! Great review!
              Cissy!
              Life moves pretty fast.

if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Comment

this was definietly one of my favorites! i loved playing scopa!!
                when in doubt........just dance......it'll be okay

you know you love me..... xoxo GOSSIP GIRL

<3 sam

*reps are appreciated when i helped*

Comment

Great review! ***Advertising removed.*** anyway, good job!
                  Last edited by catsandbooks; January 25, 2009, 09:36 AM.
                  { find your freedom in the music }
                  artwork : mr. brightside :) writing a cap ae.

coming back this summer!

Comment

Amazing!

Great review! I, personally, lovedlovedloved this game! I do, however, wish that

1.] Well, besides dancing, I never really did any of the jobs to make money. I never encountered them...

2.] I loved the idea of going undercover, but I wish we got to dress up and disguise Nancy more. Sometimes I even did that just for fun when I went out to snoop and make money!

And, the dance moves were a little...different. ;D And, Scopa was awesome!

~kitty

Comment

Wow. Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

kittywhiskers13, I didn't try the flowers, either. I didn't understand how to do it, so I just stuck with dancing.

I also agree with you about the outfits; there wasn't enough. It was cool to hear the characters comment on the outfit Nancy chose to wear. However, I would sometimes walk up to some of the suspects wearing my cat suit and I would get no response.

Comment

The dancing was ridiculous, yes, but it was funny to watch!
                        Great review!

Comment

Working...
                        X