I've only made one review before,
    but that was quite a while ago,
    so this is basically brand new to me.
    Hopefully you'll like it &&
    thanks for reading it!

Credits:
    Blondegirl14 (fade)

The Setting ---» 10/10
    The setting really made this game interesting! I loved that it took place in Italy!! HER really did a good job with the scenery and the places to visit in Venice. For example, there was a Piazza (a city square), Rialto Market (a main market in the streets), Campo Santa Mario Formosa (where you could do a little shopping for costumes ;) which is always fun), and much much more! So, basically, you weren't stuck in the Ca' Nascosta (the hotel where Nancy stays) the whole time -- you had many places to chose from. Other than these beautiful places to visit, you also sometimes have the choice to travel by gondola! This makes it very fun, because you get to listen to Italian music and see pictures of Italy while traveling the rivers of Venice!

The Plot ---» 10/10
    --"Infiltrate a Carnevale of Criminals to Unmask the Phantom!"

--"With il Fantasma, this phantom thief, running around and stealing everything, I prefer not to take any chances."

--"This case is so huge the police are swamped. Apparantly they've got people coming in from all over the world to help track down leads."

[Quotes used from VEN trailer]

Once again, Nancy gets the chance to go undercover! This really makes the game fun, because I personally love the idea of going undercover and the people who you are working with do not know who you actually are and why you are actually there. Along with this, you get to work with the GdIF (the Italian police) throughout the whole game. As you do work for them, you get to spy on others, wear disguises, and track people!

The Characters ---» 9/10
    Each of the characters has their own unique personality in this game. HER not only used Italian characters in this game, but also British and German characters, adding a little diversity to the cast. This makes it difficult to try and determine who the culprit could possibly be, seeing as each character has a possible motive for being the phantom theif!

Colin Baxter ---» I really liked his personality. I found him to be a sweet person, although he could get a little irritating at times. He came to have a huge crush on Nancy, so when he found out about Ned...well, let's just say his head dropped :( One of the things I liked most about him was his British accent! I do love accents, so this made his character better.
    He's working at the Ca' Nascosta, restoring art pieces. Although he loves his job, he isn't getting paid that much, providing a motive for him to steal the artifacts that keep disappearing. His access to these valuable art pieces could lead him to stealing them to sell for euros.

Margherita Fauberg ---» She's not the nicest character that I've seen....she's actually quite rude. She always can be found tanning on the roof of the Ca' Nascosta, which she is the owner of. Margherita's trying to stay a part of the upper, wealthier class of venetian people, keeping up with the latest fashions. However, her bad spending habits are proving to be a problem for her, seeing as she's having trouble with her finances. Could she possibly be stealing the artifacts to sell as a way of staying up with the ranks of wealthy people??

Helena Berg ---» She's a German reporter writing articles on important crimes committed. Staying at the Ca' Nascosta as Nancy's room mate, you get to know her a bit. She's a very interesting character and seems to know a lot about what's going on. She is always very helpful throughout the mystery, and a very nice person. She's one of my favorite characters in this game!

Enrico Tazza ---» Always to be found at the Casa dei Giochi, a private night club which he runs, Enrico is a fun character to be with. Whenever you visit him, you have to play a game of Scopa, which is an Italian card game. Although he has valuable information, he is one to be weary of, seeing as he has a history of working to help smuggle stolen goods in Italy. Besides this, he was a very fun character to talk with and to visit!

Antonio Fango ---» Probably my least favorite character from this game. He's always a very secretive person, making him seem very suspicious. Basically, the only way you get to know him is through spying and sneaking into his office when he's not there [which was actually really fun :)]. He's the character which the GdIF wants you to spy on, since they have reason to believe he's involved in this high profile case.

The Puzzles ---» 8/10
    The puzzles were a fun part of this game. They were not too difficult, like the one's which you end up turning to the boards for a spoiler to. On the other hand, they were also not really easy. There was a variety of puzzles to solve throughout the game, keeping your mind working and getting you closer to solving the mystery! For example, such puzzles in the game were: picking locks, a card game, a dancing challenge, fighting down bees to gather flowers, figuring out a code, and much more!

The Graphics/ The Music ---» 10/10
    HER made such an improvement with the graphics. You can definitely see the great changes and differences made from the first games (such as Secrets Can Kill) to The Phantom of Venice. I loved the music that was selected for this game too! I especially liked the music chosen when you got to ride the gondolas in Venice. The men steering the boat would sing to you in Italian!! This added a touch to the nice setting, making you feel more like you were in Italy.

The Ending ---» 6/10
    The ending in VEN wasn't one of my favorites. However, the puzzle you needed to solve was one of the harder ones in the game. In my opinion, HER could have made it a little more interesting...

☼ Overall ---» 9/10
    I really enjoyed playing VEN, not only because it took place in Italy, but also because I found the plot to be very interesting and HER added in some quirks to the game that made it fun and made it flow well. This is now one of my favorite games from them all and I highly recommend it to all Nancy Drew lovers!

"The Phantom Strikes Again!"
    CookingElimination
    Add your vote!

Which ND Game Are You?
    Take my quiz to find out!

Which VEN Character Are You?

aη iτaliaη mysτεяy ☼ vεп яεviεw «---
  • bonifacio2
    Super Sleuth
    • Jun 2010

This is what I think of your review: Outstanding! good work. great job! Something I would like to read in every single review! very exciting to read. Such a detailed description! I liked it. very thought out... which is something I like to read. All through? I really loved your review!

Comment

• nancyloverdrew
      Master Sleuth
      • Aug 2006

Thanks!! I'm happy to hear that you like it!
      CookingElimination
      Add your vote!

Which ND Game Are You?

Comment

• Georgefayne101
        Sleuth
        • Oct 2006

great review wow. was there much snooping?

Comment

• nancyloverdrew
          Master Sleuth
          • Aug 2006

Yeah, there was quite a bit of snooping. This game definitely had more snooping in it than some of the other games HER has made. For example, you got to search someone's office while they're out, which I absolutely loved!

Thanks for reading the review!!
          CookingElimination
          Add your vote!

Which ND Game Are You?

Comment

• ihavewonthemall
            Master Sleuth
            • Jun 2009

Great review! Loved reading it, though I don't know if you should add Enrico Tazza and some of the other charecters, since they do come later in the game.
            a smile a day keeps the....·´´¨¯¨``)
            `·.,¸¸,.//´¨¯¨``· »
            haters away «·´

Awesome sig, MinetteVictoria! Thanks!

Just call me gabby the blabby

Please sign the PETITION for HeR to make SOS!

Comment

• nancyloverdrew
              Master Sleuth
              • Aug 2006

Oh, I didn't even think about that. HER included them on the game info page, so I added him in too. Thanks though!
              CookingElimination
              Add your vote!

Which ND Game Are You?

Comment

Working...
              X