• What I ~Really~ Thought: SHA Edition *Spoiler Free*

.......................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:
    E
    The Secret of Shadow
    Ranch

Edition

Plot

Nancy, Bess, and George are off to have a fun vacation at a relative's ranch in Arizona. But disaster strikes when not only are George and Bess stuck at the airport, but Uncle Ed is bitten by a rattlesnake just moments after a mysterious phantom horse gallops by. Does the ghost horse really belong to the old western outlaw (and hopeless romantic) Dirk Valentine? Or is something more sinister lurking in the heat waves?

I can't say much without giving anything away, but I love the story of this game. It's really well thought out and with just a touch of wild west romance. I'm normally pretty cynical and roll my eyes at sappy stuff but, awwww
    But fear not, fellow non-romantics. There's plenty of mystery as HER stays true to it's roots.

The plot gets 10/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics and Setting

There is a huge leap from DDI to SHA. First, is a brand new layout which gives you a bigger window into Nancy's world and allows you to always have your notebook and cell phone at hand. The only down side for me, was that you have to click to open your inventory which can be stressful if you need something in a hurry. Aside from that, the graphics are better then ever. The people move naturally (well, almost) and don't have that weird boxy/bulgy thing that many of the previous games had. And they convey emotion better then any game so far, without looking like a cartoon. The animals could've been better but bravo HER.

Setting wise, it's stunning. The colors, shadows and overall look are absolute eye candy. Although I can't put my finger on why, I find this to be the most fun location of all. There’s the ranch, a store, dessert cliffs, and *gulp* a long abandoned ghost town.

I give it: 10/10

Puzzles and Activities

There are a lot of chores. Although, I have to say I enjoy these chores for the most part. (if only that were true for real life!) Why? Because they really get you in the mood for the rest of the game. On a similar note, I do wish that you wouldn’t have to saddle up and saddle down - every - single - time - you wanted to go outside of the ranch.

Now there are puzzles besides chores. Riddles, locks, sliders, and the like. It’s a really nice mix and nothing is too terribly hard (but not easy, either)
    There is one little puzzle that is simply infuriating, but there is a way to make it easier which is a really nice feature although it's only available for the one puzzle, and only if you know how to do it.

9/10

Characters

Overall, I love the characters in SHA. Some were a bit bland and not very creative (such as the older man which a raspy voice and a harsh personality ala TRT, GDML, DDI, etc.) However, they all have great back stories and defined personalities. It’s definitely one of the best casts.

I give it 8.5/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

I think the ending is great. You have to be pretty observant and move quickly. I always feel like I’m not going to be able to do it in time -- and sometimes I don’t!
    On the other hand I do wish that it was a little bit more complicated. As for the culprit, I wasn’t surprised but I hadn’t exactly suspected them either.

I give it 9.5/10

Overall

The weird thing about SHA is that when I first played it, I didn’t like it that much. I’ve since replayed it multiple times and it's become my favorite of the entire series. I would recommend it to anyone, it's such a good game.

Overall score: 10/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 6/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 6/10

Should I buy this game?

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; November 15, 2009, 01:54 PM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

I love all your Reviews their so great!! Ive played this game before and i agree with you. keep up the good work on your reviews. reps.
    I <3 Mysteries
    NANCY DREW ADDICT.

Comment

This a really good review! It is very elaborated! I totally agree with your review! Reps!
      ~!*Chelsea*!~

We walk by faith not by sight 2 Corinthians:7
      Although the world is full of suffering it is also full of the overcoming of it! ~Helen Keller

Team Swizterland: Because I'm Neutral
      سChelseat93

Comment

Great reveiw! I think I'm going to get it!

-miley
        drop everything now k meet me in the pouring rain
        kiss me on the sidewalk // take away the pain
        cause i see SPARKS FLYwhenever you smile...Y

Comment

I agree all the way with you on this one!!!
          can you dig it?
          ...............................................<3 volleyball

Comment

Great review! Nicely detailed without giving anything away!! I agree, SHA is a very fun game.
            May God give you...…….…....•*¨¯¨*•.
            .For every storm, a rainbow,..`•-•*….).….•*¨¯¨*•.
            ….For every tear, a smile,…….•*¨¯¨*•.¸..`•-•*…..)
            ……For every care, a promise,`•-•*……`•.,¸_¸,.•´
            .•*¨¯¨*•. And a blessing in each trial.....•*¨¯¨*•.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
            `•-•*…..) For every problem life sends,`•-•*….(…...*•-•´ .•*¨¯¨*•.
            ……¸.•´…...•*¨¯¨*•...A faithful friend to share,..`•.,¸_¸,.•´…..*•-•´
            ..•*¨¯¨*•.(.….*•-•´….For every sigh, a sweet song,
            (.….*•-•´ ¸.•*¨¯¨*•. ………And an answer for each prayer.
            .`•.,¸_¸,.•´..…*•-•´.…..¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
            ©LadyGreenleaf `•.,¸,.•´……*•-•´

Comment

Hmmm...
              I depend on you're reviews quite often,
              and I thank you for not making you're reviews
              '' I liked this game,it was fun and really easy,you should buy it''
              I completely agree with youre umm
              points..statments..review
              ♫cali♫
              I really like cats

Comment

Thank i got this game for me b-day and haven't played it yet now i can't wait for reading your review!!
                =====Lily is 10 11 12 and 13 =======
                ya!!!!!! Luvs to you!!!!

every one needs some fun
                I love to sing and dance!!!

I have
                found the treasure in the royal tower
                found the scecret of the old clock
                riden the last train to blue moon canyon
                found danger in desige
                found the creature of kapu cave

now
                I am riding a haunted carousel

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")

Comment

I am so glad this is your fave! It sounds great. I will need spoilers for the puzzles though. This is the one I plan on buying this week and so I'm glad you like it cuz that means I will too probably! I absolutely loooovvvveee all of your reviews and I am reading every one of them. I like how you describe everything ("eye candy" for example) and give me the info I need. It's a HUGE help. Thank you thank you!

Oh and I've gotta let you know... you links to MHM and DDI reviews on your sig don't work!
                  Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Thank you everyone!

bro/sis team: Thanks for letting me know about the links, they should be working now And thank you for your kind words. I really hope you like SHA as much as I do.
                    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
                    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
                    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
                    LCC RED

Comment

I just wanted to let you know that because of your review I bought SHA and have just finished it! Hope that makes you feel like your reviews are really doing some good :)
                      Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Working...
                      X