Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else completely and utterly disappointed by MED so far? (Moved - Ri)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG, are some of you people new here?
    The members on this board literally dissect every little piece of information and detail about a game - that's what makes this board interesting and such fun to read.

As far as MED goes:

Are the mishaps the result of cheating competitors or something beyond this world? Win big to uncover the truth!

Seems to me, that the mystery is finding out who is causing these mishaps.
    I find the "OR something beyond this world" to be a bit cheesy and am feeling that the story will mention an alien presence.
    Sonny Joon's explanation, perhaps?

It would be great if it was a bit story driven meaning that something you do in the game determines the outcome - like different teams can win the competition.
    ~~ LadyLinda ~~ -----
    LINKS...ND20+ Easter Eggs & Glitchs...CAP Phone Charms...ND Game Extras...TMB Phone Charms

Comment

I'm not disappointed by MED but not as excited as I was for other games

Originally posted by LadyLinda View Post

Seems to me, that the mystery is finding out who is causing these mishaps.
      I find the "OR something beyond this world" to be a bit cheesy and am feeling that the story will mention an alien presence.
      Sonny Joon's explanation, perhaps?

It would be great if it was a bit story driven meaning that something you do in the game determines the outcome - like different teams can win the competition.
      Yes, I figured the mystery would be that Sonny created this show because he believes that aliens are near the location and connected to this medallion so he is using the contestants to go and find it for him, but mishaps are happening that he thinks are more proof of aliens - What's causing the problems? Is it really aliens like sonny says (lol there might be a mini game called "Sonny says" or something) or - is it someone taking advantage of what he thinks - or is he just outright faking as a cover for some other agenda?

So I see a mystery, similar to stay tuned for danger(Can't remember the abbreviation), and CRE

Yes, I'm hoping for simi-alternate endings where your choices and how you play affects which team will win - but the story stays the same
      ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
      ★☆██████╗ /./.██████╗
      ★☆██╔══██╗.██╔════╝
      ★☆██║.....██║██║
      ★☆██║ ... ██║██║
      ★☆██████╔╝╚██████╗
      ★☆╚═════╝ //.╚═════╝
      ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
      COMICS

Comment

Okay, so here's the mystery of the game. Are the mishaps the result of cheating competitors or something beyond this world? Win big to uncover the truth! People cheating. Wooh, finding out who cheats on a TV show is more fun than uncovering ancient Egyptian artifacts or clear your name of arson. I don't even know if I'm going to watch the trailer at this point. This game might even be worse than Creature of Kapu Cave to be honest. Let's hope ND 31 is actually good!

Comment

I wish that HeR would make games a little more realistic. I think that MED will be OK, a little cheesy maybe, but OK. I mean, come on! Aliens, New Zealand, Nancy and Greg on a TV show! But other than that, I think I will enjoy it.
          .............................˛
          ........˛¸........˛·˘’·,˛·’
          ....˛·’....·,...¸·..........Detective
          ....·¸......’,˛·..........Ry​Rylee
          ’·,¸,·’

Comment

Ever since I heard about the contest where a fan got to decide on the location for ND30, I've been setting myself up for a really weak 30th game. It doesn't bother me very much, because I've really enjoyed the last two games, but I've always assumed that ND30 is going to feel a little off. I hope HeR doesn't allow a fan to get involved in the creation process in the future. I don't think it's a good idea to allow someone outside the company to set parameters, even if they did have to choose from a list of countries HeR provided.

That being said, given that I've had low hopes for this game for a year and a half now, it does look like it will at least be fun to play, even if the mystery is lacking or feels forced.
            My reviews - STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK,
            TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH and SPY

Comment

Originally posted by ConnectTheDots View Post
              Ever since I heard about the contest where a fan got to decide on the location for ND30, I've been setting myself up for a really weak 30th game. It doesn't bother me very much, because I've really enjoyed the last two games, but I've always assumed that ND30 is going to feel a little off. I hope HeR doesn't allow a fan to get involved in the creation process in the future. I don't think it's a good idea to allow someone outside the company to set parameters, even if they did have to choose from a list of countries HeR provided.

That being said, given that I've had low hopes for this game for a year and a half now, it does look like it will at least be fun to play, even if the mystery is lacking or feels forced.
              Actually, the only thing the fan chose was the location from a list HeR gave them, and it was way back from before DED. That gave HeR plenty of time to think through the mystery in whichever location the fan chose. The fan didn't really set up the the perameters for the game.
              To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
              Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

On the upside, the really poor/mysteryless games in the series (TOT, CRE, RAN) have always been followed by better games and sometimes by great games (TOT was immediately followed by SAW, probably the best of the newer Nancy Drew games, and RAN was immediately followed by WAC).

I agree though, I'm disappointed in the gimmicky stuff Her has been doing lately. I guess they've often done gimmicky stuff in the past (putting the Hardy Boys in games/sending Nancy to various exciting foreign countries) but it's been heightened in the past few games. I feel like they've been throwing their traditional gameplay and mystery plots aside to focus on "exciting" gimmicks. First they made a story about Nancy's mom with Samantha Quick, now Sonny Joon...I'm not saying I want boring games, but these games have felt less and less Nancy Drew-like. They go so far out of their way to include exciting gimmicks in the game that it just feels weird and like a stretch. I don't want boring games (TMB was a really traditional mystery game and it was pretty boring if you ask me) but I would like much more of a focus on mystery and plot and making the game feel like a real Nancy Drew adventure. I don't know if they're trying to bring more attention and sales to the new games by throwing in gimmicks (even though I'm not sure that would even work since who aside from big fans even knows who Sonny Joon is?) but a gimmick certainly won't make up for a game that's poor in plot and gameplay. Gimmicks might draw people in but if the actual games aren't good, I think it does more harm for sales than good in the long run.

This might be random but I've noticed that when a lot of popular TV shows are on the decline, they start to rely on gimmicks and having exciting/shocking things happen all the time rather than on producing consistently good episodes. It often leads to excitement and a brief improvement in ratings, but ultimately the show continues to fail because it's just not producing quality content anymore. I really don't want that to happen to Nancy Drew games. I would rather see consistent, mystery-centered, well-thought-out games than games that strive to deliver something shocking or exciting every time.

Also this might be mean and I could be completely off but my impression of Her's new writer is that he's young and has all these ideas and wants to push the boundaries with the games and write in all these stories that he finds exciting.

Comment

I can't say that I'm disappointed in the game yet because I haven't played it, but I'm definitely not super excited for the game. It doesn't look very interesting to me - maybe because I prefer the spookier games?

I am excited to meet Sonny - I just really hope that he isn't a disappointment.
                  ….…[]
                  .-==-.
                  | || ..-÷-.
                  All of time and space; everywhere and
                  |□ |□| ( *∙-∙´¸.-÷-.¸
                  anywhere; every star that ever was.
                  |□ |□|`∙--∙´…_…`∙.¸∙*¨¯¨*∙.
                  '--┴-'
                  … ..∙*¨¯¨*∙¸,.∙´_…*∙-∙´ Where do you want to start?
                  ..∙´……………(….…( `∙¸…………¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸
                  (_¸.∙´¨¯¨`∙¸
                  …_…`∙¸_…`∙-∙’·.,¸_¸,.·*´……*·-·´
                  ………©_*∙.,¸_¸,.∙*

Comment

Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
                    Actually, the only thing the fan chose was the location from a list HeR gave them, and it was way back from before DED. That gave HeR plenty of time to think through the mystery in whichever location the fan chose. The fan didn't really set up the the perameters for the game.
                    That's basically what I just said, though I do consider deciding the location to be setting up a parameter even if HeR had them choose from a list. It wasn't way back before DED, it was after DED came out (the winner was selected from those who preordered). The simple act of having a contest to determine the location was a limitation in itself. Maybe HeR came up with an outline for a vague mystery (like an adventure style reality show contest, for instance?) because they knew that whatever game they came up with would have to fit in one of the however many locations that the fan chose from. Maybe they came up with even better ideas for a reality show set in one of the other possible locations, but they couldn't use some of them because it had to fit for New Zealand.

Maybe down the line they'll have a really cool idea for a game that would work best set in New Zealand, but they won't feel inclined to use it because, as we know, they don't like to set games in the same locations and the fan chose to set this mystery (a mystery that could have been set practically anywhere, it sounds like, given a few minor adjustments) in New Zealand.

I'll admit that I could be entirely wrong. Maybe they had a unique mystery in mind for every location on the list that the fan chose from, but knowing what I know about this game so far, I don't think that's the way it went.

Also, just to make sure everyone understands, I don't blame the fan. I'm just not sure that it was a good idea for HeR to have this contest, and that's why I've been prepping myself for disappointment. If I end up loving it, cool!
                    My reviews - STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK,
                    TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH and SPY

Comment

Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
                      Its true they only got to choose the location but its possible Her had written different plots depending on what location was chosen. I mean NZ is a good location for an Amazing Race kind of game but other locations probably don't wouldn't suit that kind of plot. It would interesting to know what other Options the fan had to choose from and if they were similar or something completely different.

Comment

I think Her wants us to be in the dark about characters and the plot line because if they tell us too much they will give all of the secrets of the game away. Wait two days before you guys start making up your minds. I think Her is doing everything this way for a purpose. I think there is going to be a major plot twist in this game that makes everybody's eyes pop out of his head. I have faith that Her will pull something so big its going to make MED their favorite or one of their favorite games.

Comment

Re MED

I'm reserving judgment of this game because it has not
                          been released as yet and have only heard rumors and
                          claims which can not be verified. I'm going to give this game
                          it's fair chance and due. It is the ony logical thing to do
                          because we only have fragmented bits of information
                          and I can not make a true assessent of the game.
                          We have a new game coming out shortly and revamped
                          HER web site to interact which makes me very excited.
                          Let the games begin.
                          When In Doubt
                          Get a Bigger Boat
                          i i i
                          Made By: Hermes

Smile
                          It confuses people.

Rusty

Comment

I will admit that I am not excited for this game, like I have been in the past. I remember the excitement for WAC, HAU, VEN, CRY, and SAW, and the earlier games. I haven't been that excited for games in the recent past, but I still play them and find something about them to enjoy. With the exception of GTH, which I did not find much at all, if anything, that I liked.

I am not totally sold on the reality show setting and plot. I just hope there's a huge underlying mystery to this. As in, someone in the show or the maker of the show designed the reality show or is in it only to get to a certain location that is maybe off limits to people without permits, and the show might have a permit. Maybe a Shadow Ranch esque mystery, only with them using the game show to get to the location. If it's a "I want to win so I'm causing these accidents so others will get hurt or quit so I can win," then I will be thoroughly disappointed.

However, there isn't much information out yet. I just hope that HeR starts bringing back plots like FIN, TRT, MHM, DDI, ICE, CRY, VEN, CUR, SHA, DOG... I just wish HeR would go back to the ND original yellow Hardbacks for mysteries. I realize only two games have been based off those, and one was a mesh of several yellow hardbacks, but those were classic books with realistic plots, not a reality show.

I'm keeping an open mind and I'm definitely buying MED (the graphics look beautiful and I'm sure that as it's New Zealand it'll be gorgeous), and I'm hoping for some fun (not frustrating - think fox and geese in ICE) games! Hoping it surpasses expectations! And maybe HeR has been keeping quiet about it so that the mystery is a complete surprise and we don't know much about it so we don't know what to expect! That would be a pleasant surprise!
                            Read my game reviews!
                            MHM, TRT, DDI,
                            LABYRINTH OF LIES: http://community.herinteractive.com/showthread.php?1310128-Navigating-the-Labyrinth-of-Lies!-FancyNancy16-Review&p=8309421#post8309421]LIE

LORD OF THE RINGS
                            Become who you were born to be.

I have completed every Nancy Drew Game!
                            Click here for my petition for another ND original yellow hardback mystery!
                            Check out my sig shop here!

Comment

I do agree. I am not nearly as excited for MED as I have been with past games. It's not even because I don't know as much about it. I was zoo excited for SPY and while I enjoyed it, HeR has yet to make an ND game I don't enjoy on some level, it was a disappointment for me. I was hoping for more spy stuff as well as much more about Nancy's mom. GTH on the other hand is my favorite ND game. I thought it was perfect. I will not be preordering MED simply because the plot and location don't interest me as much but I will buy it as soon as it's available in stores. I'm sure I'll enjoy it like I do every game but the excitement I usually have just isn't there this time. Also I'm not a huge fan of how we're finally meeting Sonny. I do not like that we finally meet him as the host of a game show. It just seems like a let down after and the cool places he worked before. That's just my opinion though.
                              •*¨¯¨*•¸THE GHOST OF THORNTON HALL¸•*¨¯¨*•
                              ´`´`•.,¸_¸,.•´`•.,¸_¸,.•´*•*•*•*`•.,¸_¸,.•´`•.,¸_¸ ,.•´`´`
                              SOME FAMILIES KEEP
                              `•.,¸_¸,.•´DEADLY SECRETS`•.,¸_¸,.•´
                              MAY 14TH, 2013
                              `•.,¸_¸,.•´

Arizona Shadows: A SHA AE

Comment

I found the initial previews and characters rather lackluster, but the trailer did bring my hopes up though. There were several exciting scenes in it that I was already able to pin as second chances, not actual game play.

My main concern for this game is Sonny Joon. I know that he is the main attraction for a lot of people, and clearly HeR is trying to play that angle, but after some other character reveals, I am not convinced that my expectations will be met. Don't get me wrong, I love Sonny Joon in all the games he has appeared, but I'm not really expecting that he will match how we've seen him. And after this, it won't mean as much if he mysteriously is referenced in another game, in fact I somewhat doubt that will happen.

All in all, a little excited. I'm sure it will be enjoyable, but I'm not sure it will be as good as some of its predecessors.
                                ..,˖˖, I am no bird; and no net ensnares me;
                                *,….) I am a free human being with an independent will
                                .. ’ ˖, _ , ˖ *’* ˖,˖§*’˖,.,˖˖,….…˖,
                                ………....,˖§*..…)……..)*˖,_,˖* Jane Eyre
                                …….....*˖,.,˖-*(....-˖,
                                …..................* - *

|sck1|sck2|stfd|mhm|trt|fin|ssh|dog|car|ddi|sha|
                                |isha|cur|clk|trn|dan|cre|ice|cry|ven|hau|ran|lcc| wac|red|tot|saw|cap|ash|tmb|ded|gth|

Comment

Working...
                                X