Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else completely and utterly disappointed by MED so far? (Moved - Ri)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for replying, guys! Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Nice to hear how you all feel about it too.

There have been a lot of responses about concerns regarding Sonny Joon, as well as the location for the game, New Zealand.

As far as Sonny goes, I think it'll be interesting to meet him. It's kind of disappointing that the mystery surrounding him will be gone, but then again, they can only take the Sonny gag so far in the games before it gets old. Maybe it's good that we're meeting Sonny now before his little on-running joke gets old. I agree, as many have said, that I doubt Sonny will end up meeting my expectations.

And yeah, the location for this mystery is also disappointing! There's not really much that's exciting about New Zealand, as far as mystery goes. It looks like it's a beautiful place, but then again, it doesn't look like the graphics or setting of this game is going to deliver in that regard.

Here are my responses to some of your replies:

Originally posted by ZycaZongo View Post
    How does the medallion even fit in to this? The trailer was so vague they probably wanted to leave it that way so it would spark interest, but it's done the opposite.
    Haha! I couldn't agree more with this comment. After the release of the official trailer, I'm kind of getting that collecting the pieces of the medallion is part of winning the game show? I'm not exactly sure, though. That's kind of disappointing. I was hoping for something more exciting than that!

Originally posted by LouisT<3 View Post
    I am upset that they showed so many characters on the cover art but didn't include them. We already know Sonny isn't going to be the villain, and certainly not Bess or George, which narrows our real suspects to three people. We normally have 4 suspects, so I am disappointed in the character selection.
    Me too! It's so disappointing that there aren't more suspects, even though there's going to be more characters we don't meet in the reality show part! Sonny could possibly be a villain, but you're right, he certainly doesn't seem too menacing. The 3 other suspects look boring, as well. Worse than the three suspect thing we had going on in DOG.

Originally posted by secretsleuth89 View Post
    I don't really understand why some people are being so judgemental about MED so far! Sure, the characters have come out and not everyone likes them, but that's based on Her Interactive's interpretation of the characters, not the fans'.
    Very true! It's too early to make a total judgment yet. I'll know for sure what I think once I play the game. I hope you're right, and that so far all of the information and trailers have just been misleading.

Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
    If you are already judging this game because you think it looks boring before we even know everything about, I just feel that's rude to HeR. If you think it's going to be bad, why not wait for the game to come out read a review, and then see? I think we should all at least wait for the trailer! I'm sorry if I sounded rude, it's just that everyone has been complaining about all the recent games and I'm getting a little tired of it. HeR's not perfect. Of course there's always room to improve, I don't deny that. I'm just saying don't rant on it so much. HeR bends over backward to suit the fans need. They aren't as concerned with money as you might think. Again sorry if I sounded too rude.
    No, you didn't sound rude at all! Just expressing your opinion. I hope I didn't come across as entirely rude, either; I'm just trying to express my opinion too. I have a lot of respect for HER, and will continue to play their games. I just wanted to put a thread out there where I could see what other people were thinking of the game, because, so far, I've been disappointed.

Originally posted by soozielee View Post
    All of these make me wonder why there's so many reserves about this game, it truly has great potential for fun and intrigue and mystery and twists, in addition to the exploration and puzzles! And I'm sure this will all be exposed in the trailer :D
    I guess everyone just has their own preference of things they like. Personally, I like more of the darker, creepier, historical games, although VEN is among my favorites, so maybe this game will prove me wrong. It's nice that you're excited for the game, you make me feel more optimistic for it. Haha. I really don't want to be so much of a hater!

Originally posted by AutumnMemories View Post
    On the upside, the really poor/mysteryless games in the series (TOT, CRE, RAN) have always been followed by better games and sometimes by great games (TOT was immediately followed by SAW, probably the best of the newer Nancy Drew games, and RAN was immediately followed by WAC).

I agree though, I'm disappointed in the gimmicky stuff Her has been doing lately. I guess they've often done gimmicky stuff in the past (putting the Hardy Boys in games/sending Nancy to various exciting foreign countries) but it's been heightened in the past few games.

This might be random but I've noticed that when a lot of popular TV shows are on the decline, they start to rely on gimmicks and having exciting/shocking things happen all the time rather than on producing consistently good episodes. It often leads to excitement and a brief improvement in ratings, but ultimately the show continues to fail because it's just not producing quality content anymore. I really don't want that to happen to Nancy Drew games. I would rather see consistent, mystery-centered, well-thought-out games than games that strive to deliver something shocking or exciting every time.

Also this might be mean and I could be completely off but my impression of Her's new writer is that he's young and has all these ideas and wants to push the boundaries with the games and write in all these stories that he finds exciting.
    First of all, your point about bad games being followed by excellent games has been on my mind too. It seems like that is a pattern in the series. My thought is that maybe HER puts so much thought into one of the really good games that they don't put as much effort into the preceding game, so it turns out not quite as good. Maybe that's what's going on here with MED!

And yes, your point about the TV show gimmicks does make sense, and kind of seems to be going on here with HER. Maybe they are focused in so many different directions, with so many changes going on (with the new mobile series, the loss of Megan Gaiser- a huge driving force and part of the series from the beginning, as well as continuing to put out the usual 2 games a year) that they are not as focused on the plots and defaulting to gimmicky games. Honestly, I would rather wait longer in between games and have really thought out, good plots than have a bunch of games coming out with not much substance.

Originally posted by FancyNancy16 View Post
    I just hope that HeR starts bringing back plots like FIN, TRT, MHM, DDI, ICE, CRY, VEN, CUR, SHA, DOG... I just wish HeR would go back to the ND original yellow Hardbacks for mysteries. I realize only two games have been based off those, and one was a mesh of several yellow hardbacks, but those were classic books with realistic plots, not a reality show.
    Yeah, it seems like some of the best games were ones that HER based off a Nancy Drew book, and followed the plot of the book more closely. I know each game is supposed to be based off a book in the series, but it seems like they're more loosely basing the games off a book than they did in the past. Now, the games are becoming more "fanfictions" of the Nancy Drew series, which are entertaining, but don't have the substance and excitement of an actual plot from a book.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Comment

I wouldn't say I'm completely disappointed in MED, but I will say that I'm underwhelmed. I'm nowhere near as hyped as I was when Ghost of Thorton Hall was about to be released, that's for sure.

One of the main reasons is that I'm in the mood for another spooky, scary game about a haunting or something supernatural. I was hoping that we'd get one after Silent Spy, but maybe HeR thought it'd be too soon for another ghost-centric mystery.

Another reason is that I'm not too hyped about the setting. I'm super, super into settings and atmosphere, and if I don't find setting interesting, it's almost guaranteed that I won't find the game interesting. A few of my favorite settings have been Shadow at Water's Edge, Warnings at Waverly Academy, and Secret of Shadow Ranch. So far this game just looks like it's going to be outside in a field where there's a lot of grass and equipment. There are screenshots of a few more interesting places, but I get the feeling we won't be spending too much time in those other spots.

Finally, I've said this in other topics, but I'm getting a little tired of "accident" plot lines, where the whole mystery is that someone is sabotaging equipment or other stuff and Nancy has to figure out why. HeR did a good job of veering away from that for the past three games since we had a murder mystery, a kidnapping + haunting mystery, and a terrorism plot, but now it looks like we're back to another accidents storyline.

I also prefer games where Nancy goes to a certain place for the specific purpose of solving a mystery rather than games where Nancy goes somewhere and things turn into a mystery. So for example, in Deadly Device she was at the lab because she was hired to investigate the murder. It looks like in this game, Nancy is going to be a contestant in this game show and will soon discover that strange things are happening and she needs to figure out why.

I still pre-ordered the game and am looking forward to playing it, but I will be very surprised if this ends up being a favorite of mine.
      Last edited by zillionthwriter; April 18, 2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zillionthwriter View Post
        I'm super, super into settings and atmosphere, and if I don't find setting interesting, it's almost guaranteed that I won't find the game interesting. A few of my favorite settings have been Shadow at Water's Edge, Warnings at Waverly Academy, and Secret of Shadow Ranch. So far this game just looks like it's going to be outside in a field where there's a lot of grass and equipment. There are screenshots of a few more interesting places, but I get the feeling we won't be spending too much time in those other spots.
        Yeah, maybe that's why I'm not as excited for it either. The setting doesn't seem to render itself to something suspenseful and exciting. Like your point about the "accident" plot line, all those games you just mentioned (SAW, WAC, SHA) had the sort of "accident" plot line of Nancy trying to figure out who was trying to sabotage or scare people away with mishaps. The thing that made them exciting was the setting. So maybe this whole Sonny Joon- reality-show-thing would be more exciting if it took place at a spooky ranch! Haha. Nice points.
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Comment

Originally posted by Ampersand View Post
          And yeah, the location for this mystery is also disappointing! There's not really much that's exciting about New Zealand, as far as mystery goes.
          Can I just say that as A New Zealander I strongly disagree with the above quote. I'm excited about the choice of location. New Zealand is an extremely exciting place and is really no different form any other country apart from culture. A mystery can happen here as much as it can happen in America or any where else in the world.

We are not just sheep an Lord of the Rings you know.

Comment

Originally posted by chocodrew View Post
            Can I just say that as A New Zealander I strongly disagree with the above quote. I'm excited about the choice of location. New Zealand is an extremely exciting place and is really no different form any other country apart from culture. A mystery can happen here as much as it can happen in America or any where else in the world.

Agreed! I'm not from New Zealand, but it seems like a great setting for a mystery - All those beautiful mountains and the wildlife! It seems like anything could happen there.

Comment

I personally don't think New Zealand itself is a boring location, but I do have my reservations about the plot of the game. The screenshots in particular make me worried, because it looks like Pacific Run will be basically puzzles and tasks - and I'm not a fan of almost any previous games in the series with a lot of puzzles and tasks, with maybe one or two exceptions. Also, while I don't mean to sound harsh, I feel that the screenshots themselves don't do justice to the beauty of New Zealand. There is a lot of flora in most of what I've seen, but the only location I think is really lovely is the underwater observatory.

Anyway, I realized this is my first post in this thread, so I'll answer the titular question and say that yes, I do feel pretty disappointed with MED so far. The trailer was a lot better than I expected, but all the other information released has gotten me nervous that I'll end up disliking this game a lot. Of course, I'm still waiting to play the game so I can form a solid opinion on it then, but I do also want to be honest about how I feel right now.
              neverending song
              2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
              So far from me too is your home
              to which I can never find my way
              your fairy tale...

Comment

I am not that excited either. I don't know if it's just me, but I do not see what all of the excitement is about with Sonny. I just don't get it. So he left pieces of scrap paper around with scribbles on them. I don't think that deserves to be turned into a character. Just my opinion! From what I have seen and read, I would have thought that the game would be a little more exciting, or have a little bit more because it's the 30th game. Also, it seems to me that we will be playing as Nancy, Bess, and George like we did in ASH and RAN. The only reason I say that is because it looks like Bess is in the submarine on the cover, so I am assuming that we will have to play her at some point. I love the games and will continue to buy them, but I really hope they start producing good games again.
                ...................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•..........
                ...................`•.,¸_¸,.•´.....*•-•´`•-•*.....´•.,,_¸,.•`
                .•*¨¯¨*•................................................... ...........•*¨¯¨*•.
                (.....*•-•´.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.....GoNancyDrew AKA LJ.....¸.•*¨¯¨*•.`•-•*......)
                `•.,¸_¸,.•´................) ........................(...............´•.,,_¸,.•`
                ..................•.,¸_¸,.•´...........................`•.,¸_¸,.•
                ..................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•.
                .................................(....*•-•´`•-•*......)..........
                ............................´•.,,_¸,.•`´•.,,_¸,.`
                ............................................©ac

Comment

I think we can expect the mystery to actually reveal itself once the game starts. I mean if someone sabotaged the bridge George was standing on to injure her and her team and get ahead in the game, that's some pretty serious motive and potential for more danger.

I like the idea that Sonny is the producer and has free reign on the show's structure, which means it promises to be entertaining. Am I crazy about the show idea? Not really. New Zealand sounds cool, but the reality TV show sounds like it has the potential to be frustrating beyond reason.

It might sound bad, but I hope the bridge collapsing on George proves to be an attempt on her life, so at least there's something serious happening other then "we have to win this game to get to Sonny."

But despite everything, I'm excited to meet Sonny. (I just hope he doesn't disappear after this) also I think meeting him is a good #30 celebration.
                  Do you have a rocketship Potter?

Comment

Originally posted by zillionthwriter View Post
                    Another reason is that I'm not too hyped about the setting. I'm super, super into settings and atmosphere, and if I don't find setting interesting, it's almost guaranteed that I won't find the game interesting. A few of my favorite settings have been Shadow at Water's Edge, Warnings at Waverly Academy, and Secret of Shadow Ranch. So far this game just looks like it's going to be outside in a field where there's a lot of grass and equipment. There are screenshots of a few more interesting places, but I get the feeling we won't be spending too much time in those other spots.
                    This.

To be fair, these games have a lot of fans and everyone likes/looks forward to something different (some people love puzzles, some love the plots, etc). So it's really hard to please everyone, every time. Having said that, my favorite games tend to be ones that involve a certain amount of vicarious travel or well-developed locations. Sometimes games look like the location will make them awesome but I find them monotonous/confined (Tomb of the Lost Queen and Creature of Kapu Cave were the two biggest offenders there in my book) - I worry that this one will be like that.

But I'm still going to play and probably enjoy it. Even my least favorite games were still worth playing, IMO.

Comment

MED

I am not sure about this one actually. Some of them I know that I will really like such as Ghost Dogs or the Captive curse. One I knew I wouldn't like was the Deadly Device. It depends on what you are in to. I try to go in with an open mind, but so far, I think that the hype is around Sonny instead of the game. I am sort of dissapointed about Sonny, he drew pictures and just left them around. I don't really care for him, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. Judgement can't be passed until the game is out, and we have finished the game.

Comment

WE=chocodrew;8265066]Can I just say that as A New Zealander I strongly disagree with the above quote. I'm excited about the choice of location. New Zealand is an extremely exciting place and is really no different form any other country apart from culture. A mystery can happen here as much as it can happen in America or any where else in the world.
                        We are not just sheep an Lord of the Rings you know.[/QUOTE]
                        I totally agree with you! It shouldn't matter where the mystery is as long as the game is good and there is a mystery in the game somewhere.
                        Click here for a great petition!!!!

september 9th, 2014: Its coming

STFD sound help? CLick Here

Comment

This is the first game in awhile that I haven't pre-ordered because I'm lacking excitement in the game. I've been unexcited about other games only to have that turn once the characters and trailer were revealed, but these characters don't interest me, except SJ. As someone else mentioned, two of the characters look identical, which is disappointing for me because meeting the characters is my favorite part of the game, and my favorite part of the game that HER reveals before the game comes out. I'm also disappointed in the way SJ is revealed; I feel like him being handed to us before even playing the game makes for a big gimmick rather than something that actually feels like SJ.

However, I do feel like HER will deliver on making SJ a quirky and fun character, and that he'll end up as one of my favorites. I'm hoping that the game will be exciting once I start to play it and I'm sure I'll still enjoy playing another Nancy game.
                          Castle Quote
                          Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
                          Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
                          I love this line!

Comment

I actually don't mind the reality show plot. While I think it makes more sense to us as gamers to have a mystery all laid out for us before we start playing (DED, SHA, WAC, etc.), I think the mystery will be revealed to us as we actually play. I like games where a mystery unfolds organically, because Nancy has to have a life besides being at someone's beck and call to solve a case. Like in HAU, ASH, and FIN, Nancy stumbled into a mystery, which was exciting to me because we got to learn about it as she did--we didn't have months before the release to think about it.
                            Does that even make sense?
                            All I'm saying is before we judge too harshly, we should see what the mystery becomes, it's clear HER isn't giving us much to go on pre-release.
                            That being said...

I really hope said mystery doesn't become "someone is sabotaging everything to stumble across a lost treasure/valuable (or potentially in this case, sabotaging everything to win a game)", those games always feel forced. No offense to MHM or CRE or DOG, but that has certainly been done before.
                            I suppose all we can do is give it the chance we owe to HER, and then decide how we feel about this game.
                            Happy playing!
                            Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die
                            -Buddha

Comment

Glad I found this thread because I was starting think I was the only one feeling secretly disappointed in this game (or at least what we know of it so far). I can't even put my finger on exactly why that is.

When I first saw the teaser at the end of SPY, I remember thinking, "..........what?" Usually the teasers for future games make me little-kid-on-Christmas-morning levels of excited. I tried to reserve judgement though until more info was released -- the game page, screenshots, a full trailer, etc. And now that that has happened? I'm even less interested.

I suspect it may have something to do (obviously I could be wrong) with the hype surrounding Sonny Joon and the fact that the location was fan-selected. It just seems like instead of starting from scratch to come up with a really well thought-out and original mystery, they started with a few gimmicks and tried to work some sort of plot in around that.

After watching the trailer, I still don't really get what the mystery is supposed to be. All it seemed to indicate was that "something weird is going on" or "someone's trying to sabotage the show" which doesn't tell me much and also makes me feel like this game is going to be nothing new or fresh. I felt like I saw a lot of recycled elements from relatively recent games. Also I'm cringing at the idea of a bunch of tedious puzzles which, from the trailer, I got the sense we'll be seeing.

There's just something "off" about this game. All the lead-up to a new game usually makes me sooooo excited, but that's not happening this time. I really, really hope this doesn't signal that HER is trying to pander to new, younger audiences. I get that HER is a business and businesses have to grow and in order to do that they have to keep attracting new players, but I'm worried that they're getting farther and farther away from what made the original Nancy Drew games so unique and great and are struggling to grow with their original audience. Maybe I just don't ever want to be too old for Nancy Drew games.

Comment

Originally posted by chocodrew View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like New Zealand is an entirely boring place. I meant more to say that it doesn't seem like this game is going to show much of what New Zealand has to offer. It doesn't look like we will get much of a feel for culture/area/history. It's going to focus more on the game show aspect, which makes the fact that the game takes place in New Zealand pretty irrelevant. Does that make sense? That's why I'm not excited for this specific location.
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&