Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MED: Good Summer Fun (But Not Perfect)

So I’ve just finished The Shattered Medallion – and it very much surprised me (but not for the reasons I was expecting). I’ve read some of the other forum reviews that have rated the game poorly (some of which I sorely disagree with – MED Is perfect summertime fluff just like the reality TV shows it tries to emulate). But rather than generalize, I’ll break out the game’s highs and lows in the following bullet points.

Pros:
    • Bess Marvin – always fun, jubilant and Nancy’s best cheerleader. It was nice to see her put front and center with the supporting cast. She’s portrayed much more likeably here in MED than in previous entries where she’s appeared.
    • Sonny Joon – an elusive trickster, that one (on many levels). Although he started off strong in the game’s opening moments, his charming persona and wonderfully endearing quirkiness seemed strangely muted by MED’s ultimate conclusion (I’d definitely like to see more of him in future ND games).
    • Improved Exploration – absolutely there was more ground to cover in MED than what we’d seen in The Silent Spy. New Zealand made a nice-backdrop for an ND adventure. I still felt a bit of the gated theme park content while moving from Stage X to Stage Y but overall it felt good to get out and explore. I really do hope future ND games allow for more sandbox exploration that allows players to explore/solve puzzles in any order they choose at any time.
    • Tent Confessions – some of the best and funniest dialogue material appears here (moreso than when Nancy is interviewing the contestants individually). I literally laughed out loud after listening to quite a few of them; it’s a shame there weren’t animations of the secondary contestants who were heard (and ultimately eliminated) off-screen.
    • Underwater Sequences – driving the underwater sub was an absolute hoot! If any had any regrets, it’s that Nancy wasn’t able to explore more of the undersea area. Absolutely, HER could use this style of gameplay again in a future adventure – maybe Nancy goes deep-sea diving in search of Atlantis…?

Cons:
    • George Fayne – honestly, where’s George?! After all the teaser trailer adverts suggesting she’d be Nancy’s partner for this adventure, I was seriously disappointed to find that she was sidelined in the medical tent for the whole thing! I’ve really enjoyed George’s tomboy banter/antics in previous ND games. Of course, her absence made a stronger case for Bess to come from and center so I guess it’s a fair trade-off. In future though, it’d be nice to see more rotating gameplay between Nancy, George and Bess (like we saw in Alibi in Ashes, Ransom of Seven Ships and Legend of the Crystal Skull).
    • Nancy Drew – much as I love Nancy, at certain times in MED’s game dialogue, she sounded a bit testy and sarcastic. That’s not usually how she comes across in ND games (at least to me) but then again, she was reacting to some pretty unusual personalities in the supporting cast.
    • Weak Dialogue – so while the contestant confessions were absolutely brilliant, the actual suspect interviews were pretty dull and boring to sit through. Nancy wasn’t asking many questions and when she *did* ask questions, the responses she received usually amounted to “hmmm” or “oh” or a random awkward joke from Patrick. Much as I love Jamila as a character (and would love for her to come back a third time), she talked more for minutes on end than Nancy was able to ask her questions and prompt the conversation along. Absolutely half the fun of watching Nancy’s interviews is seeing how she chooses to ask questions and what she chooses to ask about; the other half is just seeing how the NPCs respond. Absolutely MED’s cast of characters definitely had some funny commentary but overall I didn’t feel like Nancy had to be there to elicit such responses (if that makes sense).
    • Simple Puzzles – I could be wrong but didn’t feel like there were a lot of puzzles in this one (and what we did have felt a little too easy). I usually play on Senior Detective and I got through half the game without struggling for hours/days over certain brain twisters like I usually do – so either I’m getting smarter or the puzzles are getting easier). One of these days I really hope HER Interactive takes a page from the Myst/Lara Croft song book and starts utilizing physical environment puzzles for Nancy/the player to ponder in tandem with the cerebral “think fast” puzzles. Definitely don’t take away from my ability to explore new areas for clues though – I think we all love searching for clues!
    • THAT ending – I won’t spoil it for anyone but the ending definitely left me feeling a bit unfulfilled. I could tell the comic book was hinting at a very philosophical conclusion (and in many ways it was) but the final puzzle was deeply confusing, and the final culprit reveal felt detached from the overall story. Yes, I knew from previous ND games that the person causing problems was the bad guy but here I just wasn’t quite clear about their motivations. I also would have liked for Nancy/the player to save the day as we’ve done in games past; leaving it up to NPCs instead really felt like an abrupt end to an otherwise fun diversion!

Overall, I found MED to be good, light-hearted entertainment. and rated it an 8 out of 10 – which makes it the perfect summertime Nancy Drew game! Not sure I’m ready for the next one however (yet another exotic, hot climate locale? Really?! And just when I was hoping for a spooky, chilly autumn adventure for Halloween!) Ah well, time to catch a plane and polish up on my ancient mythology…

See you in a few months, Nancy!
    Last edited by Rubberlad; May 15, 2014, 06:09 PM. Reason: Revised my statement about Sonny Joon.

It's funny because you're the first person to remark about Sonny Joon's orientation. It never crossed my mind that he may be LGBT. Now that you've mentioned that, I want to back and look at it in that lens. Expect me to update this post soon...

Overall, good review. You touched upon a lot of great points!
    You are speaking with an
    Official Member of S.P.I.E.D.

Comment

I wish Sonny was LGBT as it would be cool if Her had an LGBT character, but in one conversation Sonny blatantly flirts with Nancy so I don't think he was

I agree with your complaints about MED, but I would give the game a much lower score lol, like maybe 3/10

Comment

Great review! However, I didn't think Sonny was gay. I mean, he was a litle quirky at times, and I could maybe see him be gay, but I don't think he was, really. He just was aloof to everything around him, I think, and kinda crazy :P I wouldn't want HeR to add an LGBT character though in future games. *Chatting & Controversial Content Removed*
        Last edited by Rianna; May 16, 2014, 08:05 AM.
        To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
        Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

Great review! Your review was really interesting to read, and I do agree that it was nice to have a lighthearted, fun summer game. The exploration in MED was absolutely fantastic.
          `;',.><

THE STORY OF HEROES AND THIEVES
          my next ae, coming soon

Comment

My apologies - I spoke out of turn (and in violation of the message board rules). I've revised the post - particularly with reference to Sonny Joon. My apologies.

Comment

*Rudeness Removed*
              Last edited by Rianna; May 15, 2014, 11:10 PM.

Comment

*Chatting & Controversial Content Removed*
                Last edited by Rianna; May 15, 2014, 11:14 PM.
                To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
                Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

*Removed*
                  Last edited by Rianna; May 15, 2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

*Chatting & Controversial Content Removed*
                    Last edited by Rianna; May 15, 2014, 11:18 PM.
                    Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

Ugh.

Perhaps I should begin this post more professionally than I just have, but really now, folks. Do we have to go through this so often?

This is not the place to debate, question, or judge individuals who are LGBT or who may perceive or request a character who is. Nor is this a place to discuss religion, and what is "right" or "wrong."

This is a community that is accepting of all individuals, regardless of sexual orientation or religious beliefs. Unfortunately, not every member of this community is as accepting of these rules, and has resulted in, essentially, senscoring any discussions on these topics.

I will ask, as I always do, that everyone review HeR Interactive's post regarding this subject matter:

Originally posted by cjevans
                      We have often said that our message boards are “G” rated and that if you wouldn’t “say it in front of your grandparents, then you shouldn’t say it here.” However, that’s a pretty simplified explanation, and there’s really much more to it than that.

Perhaps a better way of explaining what is allowed, or not allowed, is by taking a look at the ESRB ratings that we adhere to in creating our games.

EVERYONE
                      Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

EVERYONE 10+
                      Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that may be suitable for ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

TEEN
                      Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

MATURE
                      Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

If you’ll notice, the things that we do not allow on the message boards, such as sexual themes (sexual relationships, sexual orientation, or any sexual reference), blood and gore, violence, strong language, and crude humor all fall under the “Teen” or “Mature” ratings. In order to keep our boards safe, and acceptable for ALL users, we must follow a strict set of rules that adhere to the guidelines of the “Everyone” rating.

Some of our members feel like they are being picked on because they are not allowed to discuss certain themes/topics, but this isn’t just a rule that the mods made up to “pick on” people. They are merely doing their best to hold all members accountable to the strict code of ethics that we have set to keep our message boards a safe and enjoyable place for EVERYONE.

Our message boards are here for one specific purpose: To provide a safe, respectable forum for people of ALL ages to discuss all things Nancy Drew and Her Interactive related. If users want to discuss mature topics (sexual themes, blood and gore, graphic murders, religions, alternative lifestyles, etc.) there are plenty of other forums on the internet where they can go to discuss those topics.

Please help us to maintain this wonderful forum dedicated to everyone’s favorite girl detective by keeping the discussion topics appropriate for ALL ages.

Thanks for being such awesome fans and for your incredible enthusiasm on our message boards!

- CJ Evans
                      Now to clarify, for what feels like the 50th time, this message by no means suggests that HeR considers LGBT individuals (or the topic itself) to be inappropriate. We are simply following ESRB rating rules, and doing our best to prevent discussions like the one on this thread that is causing hurt feelings by offensive comments.

If this is a problem for you, then simply do not engage in these discussions. Just report the posts, please. By responding, you're ultimately causing a moderator to intervene (and it's usually me when it comes to this stuff, and I've almost had it...). Please take this warning seriously. I'm tired of this.

Rubberlad - I'm genuinely sorry that I've had to close your review. You did nothing wrong--you worried you had broken a rule and you modified your post accordingly.

Everyone Else - I will be reviewing your posts again and may send some warnings or infractions. This should not come as a surprise.
                      ²..Rianna
                      .¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸…..¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ .If you can hear me now
                      (......°.¸_¸.'¸.•°......°.¸_¸.' ……I'm .r e a c h i n g out
                      .°•.,¸_¸,.•°…..²¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸……¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ To let you know that
                      ……………………'.¸_¸°……°•.¸ '.¸_¸°……) …… You're .not a l o n e
                      ©Rianna..…………………²….°•.,¸_¸,.•° Lullaby - Nickelback

Comment

Working...
                      X