An Open Letter to Her Interactive - The Shattered Medallion Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter to Her Interactive - The Shattered Medallion Review

Hello everyone! I’ve never posted here before (perhaps I should start!), but I really felt I needed to give The Shattered Medallion a review. I’ve been playing Nancy Drew games for what feels like years now (I’m a young adult but a kid at heart). I’m a huge Nancy Drew fan; I love the books and I even collect the antique originals. Anyway, here’s my two cents on the game, because I really hope that Her Interactive has their finger on the pulse of their fans and listens to all of our collective insights.

For starters, to give you an idea of the sort of games I like, my favorite ND games so far have been (in random order) Warnings at Waverly Academy, Shadow at the Water’s Edge, Alibi in Ashes, The Phantom of Venice, The Secret of Shadow Ranch, and The Silent Spy. My least favorites have been Ransom of the Seven Ships, Tomb of the Lost Queen, Danger on Deception Island, and now The Shattered Medallion.

I had a sinking suspicion that the plot was going to suffer from the very beginning when we were presented with the trailer that revealed the plotline revolving around a “Survivor”-like premise. Her Interactive, the early 2000s called and they want their game show idea back. It’s been done. The competition elements were sometimes kind of fun, but overall it felt like a huge distraction to the main “mystery”.

Speaking of which, without revealing too much, I’d really like to announce that the “mystery” was pretty nonexistent and disappointing, as others have already mentioned. I’m still confused as to the final outcome and purpose of all the sleuthing. Even Nancy seemed confused.

The only redeeming quality to this game was the top-notch character development. I’m always impressed with the voice acting and fun one-liners. I was glad that we were able to “see” and interact with George and Bess.

Her Interactive, let me tell you what would have made this game so much better. New Zealand has a rich history and the location should have been made a bigger part of the plot (just like in Shadow Ranch or Thornton Hall). The location was almost an afterthought and was seen only in Maori symbols, gold mining, sheep, and plants. That’s it. Couldn’t you have interwoven Maori culture into the game? I enjoy learning things while I play!

Here’s an idea off the top of my head: Nancy and her friends won a trip to see the filming location of a big-name fantasy movie (kind of like, ahem, Lord of the Rings) and while she’s there, she needs to investigate a missing actor. Everyone thinks he/she disappeared to negotiate more pay (actor’s strike), but instead it’s a mystery intricately linked to rich Maori tradition and mythology. Hey, I just came up with a better idea than Shattered Medallion in less than 30 seconds – for free! Please hire me to write for you. ☺

That about sums it up. I’m still going to continue to play the games because I’m unabashedly obsessed with ND, but I really wanted Her Interactive to get the message that we need and want better-written games.

Here’s an idea off the top of my head: Nancy and her friends won a trip to see the filming location of a big-name fantasy movie (kind of like, ahem, Lord of the Rings) and while she’s there, she needs to investigate a missing actor. Everyone thinks he/she disappeared to negotiate more pay (actor’s strike), but instead it’s a mystery intricately linked to rich Maori tradition and mythology. Hey, I just came up with a better idea than Shattered Medallion in less than 30 seconds – for free! Please hire me to write for you. ☺
    That sounds like HAU.
    Maybe you haven't played that one yet.

Thanks for the review.
    ~~ LadyLinda ~~ -----
    LINKS...ND20+ Easter Eggs & Glitchs...CAP Phone Charms...ND Game Extras...TMB Phone Charms

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLinda View Post
      That sounds like HAU.
      Maybe you haven't played that one yet.

Thanks for the review.
      Oh, I have played that one! I think that was one of my first, actually, and I enjoyed it. I remember the gameplay was a little "eh" but I really liked the plot.

Additionally, I forgot to mention in my review that I feel the "competition" aspect would have been more interesting if we could swap main characters to Bess to give her a bigger part; it felt like she was just standing around for 98% of the game. She could have had access to another area and helped sleuth like she did in Alibi in Ashes. Perhaps should could have uncovered more about Sonny Joon or the other contestants. It wouldn't have helped the poor plot at all, but it would have been more enjoyable.

Comment

I have to agree with you unfortunately. I'm a big fan of the games and I see exactly why the ones you disliked are the ones that I've disliked. There really is no sensible plot here. At first, I loved the idea of making it into a reality show, however I think it would have been easier to make the reality show something a bit more gossip heavy. There wasn't much interaction between you and the reality contestants, and to be fair, you could see how they were used to fill the void of a background story. My other gripe about this game is that the potential for it to be so much better, was incredibly high. The fact that people were seriously awaiting Sonny Joon's appearance in-game for quite some time, and for this to be the game he appears in is quite disappointing to say the least. It's by no means a bad game, just not one of the best in the ND series. And PLEASE HER for the love of whoever you believe in. No more
        Annunaki
        story arcs.

The great things about this game are the variety of puzzles. I love the fact that you guys brought back the board games from The Captive Curse. If you haven't played that one OP, I definitely recommend it to you. Keep up the good work!

Comment

While I definitely would classify MED as an adventure, I agree. It is not a mystery.
          Now that I think about it, the title of these games is Nancy Drew Adventure Games. HeR just forgot the key element that distinguishes these as Nancy Drew games: a mystery.

Interesting review!

`;',.><

THE STORY OF HEROES AND THIEVES
          my next ae, coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by James the Snoop View Post

While I definitely would classify MED as an adventure, I agree. It is not a mystery.
            Now that I think about it, the title of these games is Nancy Drew Adventure Games. HeR just forgot the key element that distinguishes these as Nancy Drew games: a mystery.

Interesting review!

Good point!

Comment

Working...
            X