Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MED Review

The Shattered Medallion: released in May 2014

Based on the Book: Real Fake (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Super Mystery #3, published in 2007)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not very closely. The only similarity is that they both have Nancy going on a reality TV show. However, in the book she goes to Paris to compete in a mystery-themed show, so even that is kind of different.

The Mystery/Crime: Sabotage

Mode Of Transportation: None, as Nancy can walk everywhere (but she does kayak a little bit)

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: New Zealand (its flora and fauna, its natural disasters, etc.)

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy and George are chosen to participate in a reality TV competition in New Zealand called Pacific Run. During the game a rope bridge is cut, causing George to fall and get hurt. Nancy completes the show's challenges along with Bess and tries to figure out who committed the sabotage. She also tries to figure out why Sonny Joon has hi-jacked the show.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Kiri Nind - A former acrobat/aerialist who now makes her living by going on different reality shows
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Keisha Castle-Hughes

2. Leena Patel - A code-breaker and Patrick's girlfriend
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Shailene Woodley

3. Patrick Dowsett - A former rugby player and Leena's boyfriend
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Martin Henderson

4. Sonny Joon - A quirky guy who has mysteriously taken over as producer of Pacific Run
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Charles Melton

Phone Characters:

1. Jamila El Dine - An expert on artifacts and an acquaintance of Sonny's

Other characters:

1. The show's announcer

2. Other contestants whose confessionals can be heard in the producer's area

My favorite quotes:

"One day you put on the spandex, and the mirror-glass coated antlers, and it hits you." - Kiri Nind

"Other people say smudgy?" - Sonny Joon

"That explains the photo edit she made of me holding a puppy. Sorta. It sorta explains that." - Sonny Joon

"Points for creativity but elimination for cheating" - the announcer

Patrick: Well, I've seen aliens, but believing in aliens seems a little more involved.
    Nancy: You've seen aliens?
    Patrick: Well, just a little.

My Thoughts:

I feel that this game is the weakest in the series. It's personally my least favorite, anyway. (I have played them all except MID, which I am waiting for in the mail. I see that one is getting very mixed reviews, so my opinion may or may not change after I play that one). I do get enjoyment from playing this game so I wouldn't say I hate it or anything, but I enjoy the other games more.

As many others have said, there isn't much of a mystery. There's figuring out who cut the bridge, but Nancy doesn't focus on that much. She focuses more on completing the game challenges and figuring out why Sonny is there.

Another thing I didn't like was that there were so many things left unexplained. I am not sure if the culprit just cut the ropes on the bridge or if the other things that happened, such as a rock falling at Nancy, were also the work of the culprit. That was not ever explained. I also am still not sure if Sonny and his grandfather truly believed in aliens or if it's just a cover. And if it is just a cover, a cover for what? I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to know that or not, but I don't.

I also didn't like how Sonny was portrayed. He was a fun character but he was nothing like how he's been portrayed in past games. One reviewer said this game turned him into a hipster, and I think that's an accurate explanation. His doodles, writings, resume, etc. in previous games portrayed him as very nerdy and socially awkward and obsessed with aliens. He was too suave in this game in my opinion.

Nancy's team is always in the same place every time you play the game, regardless of how quickly or slowly you complete the challenges. The game also makes the assumption that you team up with Kiri even if you never ask her to team up. I think that is a lost opportunity, as it would have given the game so much more replay value if the outcomes were different based on how well you did on the challenges or whether or not you team up with Kiri.

My absolute least favorite thing about the game is that they turned Bess into a blithering *****. She's supposed to be a bit boy-crazy, but here she becomes a complete ***** just because she has a crush on Sonny. In this game she acts like her brain barely functions and she talks about nonsensical stuff like staring at cows for hours. That is not something that would happen in the books or the previous games. On top of that, Sonny isn't even her type. Bess likes the hunky, athletic guys.

I didn't think it was all bad, though. I thought that the graphics and scenery were beautiful. There are some interesting and funny bits of dialogue. I think the best part of this game is the puzzles. I really enjoyed the puzzles and tasks in the game (except for the last puzzle), as they fit in well with the reality show competition.

My Rating: 5/10
Working...
X