The Silent Spy: Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Silent Spy: Review

Let me first say that sometimes reading the reviews before you purchase a game can lead to expectations that are unreasonable. Please beware and get a feel of the story from the trailer for yourself before making a decision about purchase because in the end these reviews are subjective and based solely on the expectation of the reviewer which can vary greatly depending on the person. You could miss out on a real gem. That said, in this case I was pleasantly surprised when playing this game and COMPLETELY ENTERTAINED. I'd read a few reviews that were quite negative and from the tone I assume the reviewers are long time ND gamers and quite familiar with the books as well.

For me, I became interested in the books, again, in adulthood and eventually ventured into PC games. As an avid adventure game fan the negative reviews didn't deter me from purchasing The Silent Spy as the premise is what drew me in, spies, intrigue, totally unexplored storylines. What's not to love, right?

For me, there was very little that I didn't love about this game, even now I'm having a hard time trying to pull a negative out of my mind because this game was near flawless, for me. I can see that for the die-hard fan that's pulled in by tradition and the basic mythology behind Nancy Drew's life, that this one can be a disturbing departure. Me? I like to keep an opened mind, I like mashups, I like the sort of fly-in-the-ointment decision making that keeps things fresh and the risk in all of that is that you will offend some but the payoff is that it will excite others and capture new audiences. I was excited and very entertained.

This game met all of my requirements as far as rich and meaningful character interaction, conversation that moves the story along. The story is heartwarming, funny, and exciting. There is an underlying sadness that sticks even when the mood is light. This one will require a lot of reading but there's a purpose behind the information you're given to explore. The artwork and graphics are thoughtful and interesting. The sounds and music added a layer to the game that helped me to immerse into the game for full enjoyment. As in many adventure games one of my pet peeves is that we're limited in how much of the space we can explore. In most ND games you are able to explore only the space that's relevant to the part of story you're in at the moment and later more areas become available. This one is no different. Even with that I can still rave about it. I'd like to see this story fleshed out a bit more.

I'd give this one two thumbs up and if I had a third I've give it that as well. Awesome job!! I'd recommend this to anyone whether you're new to adventure gaming or and old hand.

Thanks for reading.

Nice review! I haven't replayed this game in a while, but reading this makes me want to revisit it soon. I have a few peeves with the game, but I remember the backstory being strong, and some of the main storyline, too. I don't remember the fast decision making so well (aside from one optional feature); that's something I'm going to look forward to next time I play it.

I'm glad that you liked the game, and thanks for this review!
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

RE: The Silent Spy Review

Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
      Nice review! I haven't replayed this game in a while, but reading this makes me want to revisit it soon. I have a few peeves with the game, but I remember the backstory being strong, and some of the main storyline, too. I don't remember the fast decision making so well (aside from one optional feature); that's something I'm going to look forward to next time I play it.

I'm glad that you liked the game, and thanks for this review!
      Thanks!! It's by far one of my favorites.

Comment

Working...
      X