Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPY Review

The Silent Spy: released in October 2013

Based on the Book: The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #41, published in 1964)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not very closely. The characters and plots are all different. They both take place in Scotland and they both involve bagpipes, but that's about it.

The Mystery/Crime: Figuring out what Kate Drew was investigating before her death

Mode Of Transportation: Train

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Scottish history and culture

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is summoned to Scotland by an organization called Cathedral to continue investigating a possible terrorist organization, Revenant, that her mother was investigating when she died.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Alec Fell - A skiptracer who spends his time at the train station
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Gerard Butler

2. Bridget Shaw - A woman who is infatuated with Americans and wants to be friends with Nancy
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Caitriona Balfe

3. Ewan MacLeod - Nancy's Cathedral contact
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: David Tennant

4. Moira Chisholm - Kate Drew's friend and fellow investigative journalist who has gone into hiding
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Kate Dickie

Phone Characters:

1. Carson Drew - Nancy's father

2. Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend

3. A Mysterious Caller - A person whose voice is distorted who keeps calling Nancy and offering to give her information on her mother if Nancy completes certain tasks

My favorite quotes:

"Can I follow you around for a whole lot?" - Bridget Shaw

"The only silent spy is a dead spy." - Moira Chisholm

"And yet the sass!" - Alec Fell

"But as the lesson of every sci-fi movie where robots become self-aware states, in our flaws lie our perfections." - Ewan MacLeod

"Have a seat dearie. I'll to you about how things used to cost less, and then I'll say something racist and you won't even know what to do about it because I'm old and it just seems like a lost cause at this point." - Moira Chisholm, mocking Nancy for implying that she's getting old

My Thoughts:

I was expecting to give this game a very "meh" review but when I played the game again recently I actually liked it quite a bit. I'm not sure why I thought it was "just okay" the first couple times I played it but enjoyed it so much this time, but that's what happened. I think it may be because the plot is a bit complex and it becomes clearer with replays. Whatever the reason, though, I like it a lot better now.

I think I didn't like it at first because there wasn't much exploring, snooping, finding things, etc. On subsequent plays, however, it makes sense that this game would be different due to the spy angle. It makes sense that the characters would be cautious and that it would be difficult for Nancy to find information on them. Same goes for the characters - there wasn't much character development but that makes sense in a spy game.

My favorite part of the game was the emotional impact. The flashbacks with Kate and especially the letter Nancy finds are very heart-warming. I actually tear up every single time I read Kate's letter to Nancy; it's so sweet and uplifting. I think the writers really did a good job with Nancy's memories of her mother and the relationship between them, and the relationship between Kate and Carson as well.

I don't really have much else to say about this game. There weren't any puzzles/tasks or characters that I particularly loved or particularly hated. I like the location but would have liked to see more of Scotland. The plot was far-fetched, but again, that kinda works with the spy stuff.

In conclusion, this game isn't one of my favorites or one of my least favorites. It's somewhere in the middle for me. And somewhere above "meh."

My Rating: 7/10
Working...
X