• What I Really Thought: ICE Edition

..............................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:

The White Wolf of
    TIcicle Creek
    T
    Edition

Plot

The Icicle Creek Lodge has recently experienced a string of unexplainable accidents. Food Poisoning, A broken ankle, slashed tires, a shattered window, and even an explosion. As if that wasn't creepy enough, a lone wolf is heard howling after each incident. Who could be behind this? Or could the wolf be some type of omen, with the worst still to come? You, as Nancy Drew, can go undercover and find out!

So, of course, the plot bears a striking resemblance to SHA but there are enough differences that it doesn't feel repetitive. The story itself is ok but I wish that they could have tried to make it a little more special.

For the lack of originality, the plot gets 4/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics and Setting

While I thought some of the characters looked great, others looked so odd that it cast a shadow on the success. The minor character Freddie and the suspect Bill Kessler were the ones that bothered me the most.

The setting was pretty, a bit reminisent of TRN, SHA, even a touch of CAR. In the game, you get to explore the lodge, the grounds and quiet a few secret areas. It really felt as if you had a lot of places to go, although there was too much walking back and forwards which ate up a lot of time. But as someone who lives in the south, I loved getting to see all of that snow! :p

combined: 7/10

The New Layout

So ICE marks the beginning of a new screen layout....I really don't care for it. It's like watching a wide screen movie on a square TV, with the big black bar on the top. In addition, instead of having one main textbox at the bottom of the screen, like in all of the previous games, there are little windows next to each character that are reminiscent of those annoying internet pop-ups. But could someone please tell me what was wrong with the old layout? What does this new layout offer that the old one lacked?

Why does HER insist upon fixing what isn't broken?

1/10

Puzzles

I found the puzzles in this game to be nice, although really few and far between. A lot of them reminded me of old school Nancy, a definite plus in my book. However, there was nothing in particular that really stood out about them.

And while they really aren't puzzles, you do have chores in the game (another similarity to SHA) Personally, I enjoyed getting to cook the meals and cleaning up the rooms. They didn't take too much time away from your sleuthing, plus they wrapped back into the game rather nicely.

I give them 5/10

Characters

None of the characters really shined in my opinion but, at the same time I felt that they made a nice cast for the game. It was a bit of an odd choice to add another champion skier since we already had one in TRT, and also another person with the last name Kessler but I'm sure HER had their reasons.

A plus is that we do get to interact with the suspects more than in the past few games. But that's not saying much.

I’ll give them 5/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

While I enjoyed the stuff leading up to it, the ending itself was a let down. The culprit was an ok choice but nothing special and I just do not enjoy that type of gameplay. If you've read my other reviews or come across any of my rants, I'm sure you know why.

I give it 2/10

Overall

I actually like ICE because it has a glimmer of the magic found in the older ND games. It certainly isn't up to par, but it shows me that HER has the potential to make more games like they did in the good ol' days. I say, check it out and see for yourself.

Overall score: 4.5/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 2.5/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 5/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!

Hi , I removed your reference to your post being spoiler-free because all reviews must be spoiler-free. It could confuse members into thinking that other reviews contain spoilers.
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; June 19, 2010, 11:33 AM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

The old layout was well, old and annoying to me. it felt like I was trapped in a little box and it took alot away from the games that had that layout. I LOVED the new layout, it was more convenient. and it made the game feel more real to me. I actually think that the older games are more boring, I don't really want to bring anything back from them. well, I LOVED THIS GAME, it was like, one of my favorites. cool review though.
    { find your freedom in the music }
    artwork : mr. brightside :) writing a cap ae.

coming back this summer!

Comment

Well, Ice Chick, it sounds to me like you're talking about the original layout, the one used in games 1-9. The "old" layout that I'm referring to in my review, is the one used in games 10-15. I'm almost certain that window is bigger than the new window.

I'm sorry that you find the old games boring, but I couldn't disagree more. I think that most of them are brilliant, and you can read all about my opinion of them in my reviews. I look forward to reading your reviews
      MyCatTilly
      Last edited by MyCatTilly; April 7, 2009, 08:37 PM.
      aka SnappyBlueRoadster

LCC RED

Comment

MyCatTilly i couldnt agree more! Finally someone who isnt a big fan of ICE. So many people loved it and said it was thier fave that i was starting to think i played a different game. Honestly it was my least favourite game and i think you made an excellent review. The game had some nice points and all cooking and whatnot but it was fairly similer to SHA. Good job.
        I'm like the dead sea;
        you'll never sink when you're with me.

Comment

Uhhh the best reason I can think of is simply that its better than some of the other games (RAN, HAU, CRE, DAN, in my opinion of course) Still, there are a bunch of games in the series that are better than ICE. I wouldn't put it next on your list, but I don't think you should scratch it off all together.
          aka SnappyBlueRoadster

LCC RED

Comment

I am in the middle of ICE. I've been stuck on Fox and Geese for months :( Very lousy. I agree with your review except the lay-out part. I love the new lay-out! It's so easy and pretty and handy.
            bro/sis team
            Last edited by bro/sis team; October 22, 2009, 06:54 PM.
            Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Working...
            X