The Trail of the Twister is Twisted with Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trail of the Twister is Twisted with Fun

This is the 26th Nancy Drew game that I’ve played and it took me a while to actually decide to play it because it didn’t look that interesting. I was mistaken by my preconceptions, and found the Trail of the Twister to be one of my favorites.

While working on the storm team, it feels as though Nancy’s actually on the team. She’s gets put to work right away and throughout the game there are tons of team-related tasks that are thrown at her. A few times, the team becomes involved in chasing a storm, and Nancy will help out by taking pictures, driving the truck, or fixing equipment. The mystery also takes place over a series of days—days which end only when Nancy accomplishes a certain set of tasks. All of these components give the game a more realistic feel.

The characters are all enjoyable to interact with. Chase is endearing, and his backstory develops throughout the mystery. Frosty is friendly with a touch of ego, however his ego never becomes annoying. Similar to Frosty, Scott is introduced right away as having a temper that’s meant to make him unpleasant. However, his unpleasantness never crosses the line into annoyance and thus he is a better character for it. The only team member that is a little blah is Debbie. There isn’t much backstory about her, and most of her dialogue is telling Nancy what to do. There’s also Pa, a minor character who runs the local general store. While a little cliché, he’s still a character that I don’t mind talking to.

The best and worst part of this game are the puzzles. Most of them are at that perfect level of challenging, and they’re all pretty unique. However most of them are set up the same—staring at a fixed space and maneuvering whatever buttons or pieces or numbers are whatever that are part of the puzzle. Most of them come with the instructions up front as well, so there’s never any added challenge of figuring out what the end result should generally look like. Because of such similarity in the puzzle formats, I ended up developing puzzle fatigue halfway through the game. I feel that some of puzzles could have been replaced with more constructive tasks that took a little bit more thought on Nancy’s part about how to complete them.

A lot of cool components are packed into this game, though. Not only do you control the car that Nancy drives around and can potentially crash into other cars on the road, but you can choose whichever vehicle Nancy drives. Driving the giant storm van is hilarious. I also like being able to buy candy and offer it to other people. It was nice being able to put the camera function on the cell phone to good use. Lastly, I love the Land rush game. There’s more strategy in it compared to other Nancy Drew mini-games which makes it a really fun in-game break from solving the mystery. There’s also a mystery box item that Nancy has to work towards with her tokens that she earns from playing the game.

As long as you don’t mind a few puzzles, the Trail of the Twister is a solid Nancy Drew game. I would especially recommend it to newer Nancy Drew players because it has a more linear feel to it compared to some of the other games.
    I discovered that Secrets can Kill. I Stayed Tuned for Danger. I read the Message in a Haunted Mansion. I uncovered the Treasure in a Royal Tower. I watched the Final Scene. I washed away the Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I pet the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I rode the Haunted Carousel. I dodged the Danger on Deception Island. I lassoed the Secret of Shadow Ranch. I overcame the Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I unwound the Secret of the Old Clock. I traveled on the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I unveiled the Danger by Design. I captured the Creature of Kapu Cave. I discussed politics with the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I unearthed the Legend of the Crystal Skull. I unmasked the Phantom of Venice. I exposed the Haunting of Castle Malloy. I paid the Ransom of the Seven Ships. I heeded the Warnings of Waverly Academy. I chased the Trail of the Twister. I stood in the Shadow at the Water’s Edge. I shattered the Captive Curse. I upheld the Alibi in Ashes. I opened the Tomb of the Lost Queen. I condemned the Deadly Device. I sang to the Ghost of Thornton Hall. I did justice for the Silent Spy.
Working...
X