Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~*~StarMaiden's TOT Review~*~

Trail of the Twister

Alright my friends, here's my review of Trail of the Twister. I got the Special Edition for a birthday present but I didn't start the game until a few days ago and I played on Junior to get the checklist. This review is quite a bit longer than my others but these are my thoughts of the game:

Plot
    You, as Nancy Drew, must help a team of storm chasers from Canute College determine the cause of the mysterious sabotage of their equipment, risking their chance to win the $100,000,000 grant for tornado research. The plot was okay but some of the sabotage didn't really register as "life-threatening" to me, such as the mouse infestation, which was really more an easily-fixable annoyance than life-threatening to the team. There also could've been more association to the plot for the characters, as it seemed most of them were more interested in other prospects than the grand prize.

Characters
    I think that the characters' behaviors were pretty believable and varied, but I wish we could've had a bit more interaction with them because most of the time they were just telling you something to do instead of having a decent conversation worthy of adding them to or taking them of of the suspect list. This causes most of the clues you find to be more pertaining to physical items found in a character's possesion rather than the behavior they show. It also would have been nice to talk to a few characters you only heard about, even if it just ended up being a phone call.

Snooping
    This area was okay, but not fantastic. You were usually spending more time acting as the team's technician than you were snooping, but you do get to find out interesting tidbits about each of the characters. There were lots of things that I wish we could've snooped around though, such as the characters' computers, and I think we're still looking for more clickable things that we don't know pertain to the investigation. I was also kind of unhappy that all the juicy secrets about the characters pretty much came all at the same time instead of spaced out, making the rest of the game seem dull. And although you get to see a lot of places, there are only a few you can really investigate.

Tasks/Puzzles
    Unfortunately the majority of the game is tasks given to you by the characters. The puzzles were not particularly hard (keep in mind I was on junior though) but were more based on numbers and thinking which, sadly, brings me thoughts of a puzzle game I could buy off the internet. HER, what happened to secrets that could only be found simply by putting in a certain password after snooping around a character's possessions? I know ND games are supposed to help us work our brains, but the snooping and investigating areas, not always the puzzles, should be the main areas of thinking.

Culprit
    In the beginning it really seems like almost anyone on the team could be the saboteur, but you continuously get more clues to lead to one person. I think there was a situation involving two other suspects that could've been played on more to draw suspicion away from the real culprit and was a little disappointed that it was so obvious. HER, although it's a great clue to finding a suspect, just because someone is socially inept doesn't mean they are always the wrongdoer (from previous gaming experiences). We need more variety in our culprits, and more of a surprise when we see that they are the true mastermind behind the mystery.

Ending
    I kind of thought the ending was sort of jammed together to make it more interesting, and the final chase was nearly the same as a past game. Although it was more realistic than some endings ND has seen (HAU for example), it would be nice to have a more unique chase.

"Special Edition"
    If you're having second thoughts about not ordering the Special Edition when you had the chance, don't worry. The extras don't really make a difference in the game and are nothing to loose sleep over. If I hadn't been getting this as a gift, I would have seriously considered waiting till the store release to get it.

Graphics

I was satisfied with the graphics of the game, especially the scenery and weather effects. I'm not sure exactly if this fits the category, but one of my pet peeves with the newer games is that the characters' mouths don't match the words they're saying as much as they did in the past, but I think I saw some signs of improvement.

Music
    I think the music could've been more varied. A lot of it sounded like really close repeats of past games with only one or two unique songs. Also it seemed like there were times when the music should've been more sinister and it was not.

Technical Things

Unfortunately I was kind of taken aback when I saw all of the technical difficulties in this game. I played this game on a Mac and haven't seen yet if there are similar problems yet on the PC. Although I think it was a great move for HER to move to Macs, I wish they could've kept the technical quality they usually have. Characters frequently (as in almost every conversation) had sentences cut off and repeated awkwardly before the other's response, and the subtitles didn't keep up with the conversations that lasted more than the first "page" of speaking. Sadly, it sort of put a damper on my playing experience, but I'm hoping that HER will be able to catch this and fix it up for ND23.

Summary

The first time I played TOT I was kind of upset with all of the tasks and puzzles, but once I replayed it and found some things I missed before, I felt more satisfied with the product. I would give it about a 6 out of 10.

Upcoming Game
    I sort of had the next game spoiled to me (I was looking at reviews before I played my game and a few put in the name) but I am impressed with how the next game looks. Although the "character" they show in the teaser looks like a certain movie character, I'm hoping that the plot will not be a rip-off of that movie and will be more unique. But now that HER has asked our input about snooping, if they come through this could easily be one of the most exciting ND games yet.

Wow, that was long. Thanks for reading and please share your comments!
    ~*~StarMaiden~*~
    ~*My reviews and my petition!*~
    *Ransom of the Seven Ships
    *Warnings at Waverly Academy
    *Trail of the Twister
    *Secrets Can Kill - Remastered
    *The Captive Curse
    *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Very nice review! I agree with everything you said. I was surprised with all the technical problems too. I had the pc version, but I had the same problems you had. Weird. Anyway, great job! Reps!

Comment

Originally posted by StarMaiden View Post
      Trail of the Twister

Culprit
      ... HER, although it's a great clue to finding a suspect, just because someone is socially inept doesn't mean they are always the wrongdoer (from previous gaming experiences). We need more variety in our culprits, and more of a surprise when we see that they are the true mastermind behind the mystery.

OMG! That's just what I was thinking! In other games also, (not going to mention anything in particular) HeR keeps doing that! And it drives me nuts!!! I wish HeR would stop that non-sense! I mean, I don't want to sound rude, but just because you're not a social genius you're the culprit >:(

BTW, Great review!

I loved reading it!
      a smile a day keeps the....·´´¨¯¨``)
      `·.,¸¸,.//´¨¯¨``· »
      haters away «·´

Awesome sig, MinetteVictoria! Thanks!

Just call me gabby the blabby

Please sign the PETITION for HeR to make SOS!

Comment

Thanks so much for your comments bluecat and ihavewonthemall! They really encouraged me considering this is only my third review. This review felt so weird for me to write because...well, I guess because TOT was sort of weird for me. There were parts of it I genuinely liked but it just didn't always feel like Nancy Drew for me. I guess that's why I made it so long, so I could really weigh what, for me at least, was and wasn't "Nancy Drew."

@bluecat: That's so annoying that it's so glitchy, but the good news is I've started playing SCK2 and it seems like they were able to fix the major problems.

@ihaveonethemall: I know! I can't believe HER hasn't caught it yet (or, if they have noticed, why they haven't done something about it). I mean when you think about it, there have been A LOT of culprits like that lately, and I hope that HER can surprise us in the near future ;)
        ~*My reviews and my petition!*~
        *Ransom of the Seven Ships
        *Warnings at Waverly Academy
        *Trail of the Twister
        *Secrets Can Kill - Remastered
        *The Captive Curse
        *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

Working...
        X