Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treasure in a Royal Tower is a Treasure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treasure in a Royal Tower is a Treasure.

This is the third Nancy Drew game that I’d ever played and the first that I’d ever completed. As a result, my love for this game is a bit biased. However, when I replayed it recently and stepped back to compare it to the other Nancy Drew games, especially the ones that are the same age as it, I found that, while fun, it does have some superior counterparts.

The goal of this game is to unveil the secrets of Marie Antoinette that have been left behind in her tower, which is an added on extension to the castle that Nancy is staying in. I usually dislike Nancy Drew games that act as a treasure hunt, especially if they’re unrelated to the initial mystery, but considering there’s “treasure” in the name of the game, a treasure hunt is very suiting for the plot. With that being said, I like that this treasure hunt isn’t reliant on completing a ton of puzzles. Most of the game progresses through completing tasks for various characters. The puzzles that were present were the perfect caliber of challenging, though I am annoyed that Nancy completes one of the puzzles for you.

I really enjoy the characters in this game. Dexter Egan is the caretaker of the castle who starts out a little grouchy but becomes friendlier as the game progresses. It cracks me up how chirpy Nancy is whenever she talks to him. The other castle employee that Nancy meets is Jacque Brunais. He’s not very entertaining to talk to, but the relationship he and Nancy develops is different than how Nancy interacts with characters in any other game. He also has an interesting backstory, which makes him a solid character. There are also two guests staying at the castle. Lisa Ostrum is a photojournalist who’s writing an article on the castle. She’s the most boring character. I also find it ridiculous that she’s always telling Nancy how much work she needs to do, yet she’s always reading a magazine. The other guest is Beatrice Hotchkiss, who adds some genuine humor to the game. She’s one of the most hilarious and original character in the Nancy Drew series, and interacting with her is always a pleasure.

The castle itself is also awesome. It has three floors that can be accessed by an elevator or stairs. Within those floors are a lot of hallways and secret rooms. I especially love the elevator and the integral part that it plays in accessing some of the secret parts of the castle. Within each of the rooms of the castle, there are a lot of things to click on and look at, so it doesn’t feel like Nancy magically knows what’s important and what’s not important to the mystery.

Like the other older Nancy Drew games, Treasure in a Royal Tower does lack any mini-games or activities. However, there are switches in the basement that Nancy can play with that mess with the power in other parts of the castle. There’s also a fascinating pseudohistory about Marie Antoinette that connects well with the treasure that Nancy is searching for.

While this game lacks a lot of puzzles, it does have a great gameplay and plot. Coupled with some interesting characters, Treasure in a Royal Tower is a stellar Nancy Drew game. However, the unoriginality of the treasure hunt and the setting of a castle, does make me consider its predecessor, the Final Scene to be a more enjoyable game from that era of Nancy Drew games. Both games are very similar in their levels of character quality, setting, exploration, gameplay and puzzles, but the Final Scene’s plot is more original and its three day progression makes the story more interesting.
    I discovered that Secrets can Kill. I Stayed Tuned for Danger. I read the Message in a Haunted Mansion. I uncovered the Treasure in a Royal Tower. I watched the Final Scene. I washed away the Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I pet the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I rode the Haunted Carousel. I dodged the Danger on Deception Island. I lassoed the Secret of Shadow Ranch. I overcame the Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I unwound the Secret of the Old Clock. I traveled on the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I unveiled the Danger by Design. I captured the Creature of Kapu Cave. I discussed politics with the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I unearthed the Legend of the Crystal Skull. I unmasked the Phantom of Venice. I exposed the Haunting of Castle Malloy. I paid the Ransom of the Seven Ships. I heeded the Warnings of Waverly Academy. I chased the Trail of the Twister. I stood in the Shadow at the Water’s Edge. I shattered the Captive Curse. I upheld the Alibi in Ashes. I opened the Tomb of the Lost Queen. I condemned the Deadly Device. I sang to the Ghost of Thornton Hall. I did justice for the Silent Spy. I repaired the Shattered Medallion. I navigated the Labyrinth of Lies. I illuminated the Sea of Darkness. I was awake at Midnight in Salem.
Working...
X