Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCC: an excellent interlude

My rating: 8/10

As background: I've played the first 9 adventure games so far, and love them, but they are very time consuming. I'm the kind of sleuth who jots down notes on every conversation or secret message! :) When work gets busy, though, the games stretch out over too long a period and the brain-wracking scavenger hunts just get frustrating.

I'd tried other hidden object games (namely, Ravenhearst) and found them to be a glorified version of I Spy--fun for a little while, but ultimately repetitive, with searches that had no connection to the plot.

When Her Interactive offered the Dossier games for $9.99 in the fall, I tried the demo and was quickly sucked in. I purchased both of them, and played LCC over one week.

The graphics and tasks are not on the same level as the adventure series, but that was never the intent. Instead, the game was entertaining in its own right. You not only have to find objects, but pair them with other objects appropriately, or use them for another goal. The scoring system is a strong motivation; correct pairs, correct answers, or a correct sequence of tasks will earn points, and a high enough score at the end earns an alternate ending. It makes you stop and think about what you are doing, rather than just click blindly.

I thought the characters were all entertaining (the actress was my favorite), and equally plausible as suspects. The plot, though a little reminiscent of the Hollywood connection from the Nancy Drew movie, has HI's signature blend of past and present mysteries, one of my favorite elements of their games.

A few of the tasks were repetitive, because they needed to be done multiple times (e.g. the game that allows you to pick a lock), and others required speed to complete, but overall I found them to be creative and challenging.

In some ways LLC was less frustrating than an adventure game; the magnifying glass still turns red when an object is clickable, but a number in the corner of the screen tells you how many more objects need to be clicked to complete a task. There are also hints available if you get stuck. There were never times when I felt I had no direction as to what to do next, as has happened occasionally in adventure games

I think the games will have a fairly high replay value. About two months passed between when I played the demo and the full game, and didn't completely remember the tasks I had done. At this point it has been four months since I finished the game, and I could tell you a lot of the "what" but not as much "how." I know I will want to play again in the future to beat my score! I consider myself a pretty astute player and thought I did well, but wasn't high enough to get the alternate ending.

One of my few complaints about the game is that there is no in-game method to keep track of information, as you get points for answering characters' questions correctly. I have a pretty good memory and did fine over a week, but some of the questions relied on details. I would have to take notes if I spread this out longer, like the adventure games.

Overall, I really enjoyed this title and am looking forward to playing the next one in the series!
    ¦¨¨¨¨¨****`¤×-..,¸,..-פ´****¨¨¨¨¨¦.If life’s a mystery,
    ¦...................¦..,•*¨¯¨*•,......¦.I hope the author is
    ¦...................¦..¨•.¸_¸.•¨......¦.Carolyn Keene!
    ¦...................¦............*•.¸..¦
    ¦...................¦..................¦.© mystrygirl87
    .¨¨¨¨¨****`¤×-..,¦,..-פ´****¨¨¨¨¨
Working...
X