• Show
Clear All

• LCC Review

Lights, Cameras, Curses!: released in November 2008

Based on the Book: None, as far as I know

The Mystery/Crime: Accidents on a movie set

Mode Of Transportation: None; Nancy walks everywhere

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Ancient Egypt, movie sets/how movies are made

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is hired to investigate a movie set when many accidents start happening and details are leaked to the press. The movie is a remake of a 1930s movie called Pharaoh. The star of the original movie, Lois Manson, died during filming and some people are attributing the bad luck on set to the "Lois Manson" curse. Nancy must search through the movie set and surrounding areas, such as a run-down former theme park, a hotel, and a restaurant/lounge called The Casbah.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Arthur Hitchens - The financier of the movie
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: James Earl Jones. (He actually reminds me a lot of James Avery, but unfortunately he passed away several years ago).

2. Eda Brooks - The beautiful but ditzy actress who is starring as Nefertiti in the movie
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Mila Kunis

3. Jorge Jackson - The famous Australian director who is directing Pharaoh
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Hugh Jackman

4. Molly McKenna - The producer of the movie
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Milla Jovovich

Other Characters:

Customers/gossipers at The Casbah

My favorite quotes:

"Being nice all the time is exhausting" - Eda Brooks

"Anytime you have a producer whose first concern is money and last concern is safely, what do you get? Accidents" - Jorge Jackson

"Sorry, my hooded cloak is at the cleaner's" - Jorge Jackson

"Make no mistake - everyone is a suspect" - Arthur Hitchens

"Even I'm smart enough to know this movie is going to be a disaster" - Eda Brooks

My Thoughts: I really like this game. It's labeled as a "hidden object game" but it is way more involved and way more fun than most hidden object games. You do have to find objects, but you also have to use the objects together in a logical way. Plus there are several puzzles and mini-games to solve as well. It has a great story line that unfolds nicely as "chapters" throughout the game. You also interact with interesting characters. I think my favorite thing about the game is how you have to choose the correct dialogue options. Those are like fun little mini-quizzes that reward you for paying attention; plus some of the incorrect choices are hilarious. There are also a lot of non-essential things that you can find such as the audio clues, which gives the game a ton of replay value. I also really like the noir-ish graphics and neat 2D drawings shown throughout the game.

It's true that the game isn't as long or as involved as the games in the Nancy Drew adventure series, but that is the point of the dossier games. The tagline on the cover is "Fast Fun for Busy Detectives!" In my opinion the fact that it is shorter and quicker gives it even more replay value than the adventure series games.

There are really only two things I didn't like about this game. One is the repetition of the mini-games. I would have preferred more variety instead of just playing the same couple mini-games over and over. The other is the fact that I have played this game several times and still haven't received enough points to get the bonus ending, and that makes me sad.

My Rating: 9/10
Working...
X