Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resorting to a Great Game: A Cake Review

My Introduction
    Hi everyone! :D I'm disneygirl12, and welcome to my 16th (and possibly most neon colored) Cake Review! I hope you enjoy!
    Resorting to Danger. Where do I begin? There are so many great things in this game to talk about! Let's begin with the plot. A luxury spa, known as the Redondo, has been experiencing bombing issues! While the bombs aren't dangerous, they are becoming a nuisance, and giving bad publicity. Who could possibly be the mad bomber?

Good Cakes (pros)
    Just like LCC, the plot was very easy to follow. You know exactly what you need to do, and the plot really makes you want to find out who the culprit is!
    I really liked the characters in this game. While some of them might be a bit stereotyped, they were all unique and interesting in their own ways. I really liked Mrs. Montague, for some reason.
    Graphics have been improved! They look a bit more 3D than flat, and the characters could be seen in a distance rather than a closeup all the time. Way to go! :D
    This game is more challenging than LCC. The puzzles (typically the ones near the end) required real thinking, and each of them were set at good difficulties.
    As mentioned in my LCC review, the Dossier mysteries have recurring minigames throughout the case. I liked these minigames in RED. They all worked out pretty well. My favorite game was doing the facials. :)
    There were many fun places to explore in the spa! There were no corners unexplored, and each of the rooms were fun to visit, from the salon to the garden!
    The "hidden object" part of the game worked out even better than LCC! The objects were a little bit more challenging to find. Also, HeR stepped up a little bit in controls. Instead of clicking the object once to select it, and then another time to view it up close, you could simply click it once to view it. One more thing I liked is how Nancy can sometimes put an item in her mini-inventory! :D
    I'm not going to comment on the culprit choice, because I think you should find out for yourself. ;) I will say this; it was a very creative idea done by Her Interactive, and highly enhances replay value. The ending itself was decent. It wasn't the best, but it all wraps up well.
    I love the music in this game. It can do from calm to suspenseful, just like that! The music always fit the mood of the game. :D

Pancakes (so-so's)
    I wasn't a big fan of the points prize. For the completion of each chapter, you are rewarded with points. If you achieve a certain number of points at the end of the game, you could win a special feature! It's not that I don't like how it worked out; (I honestly really love this feature!) but the prize we are rewarded with isn't a special ending, but rather special credits. There really was nothing special about these credits.

Overall, RED proves that the Dossier games are great in every sense of the word. This game has a great plot, great characters, tons of places to explore, and in general, this is one of my favorite games of all the ND games! :D Since there are only 2 games in the series, I can't give a full-on ranking, but there are so many great things about this game, that I think it deserves the highest score. My rating, as shown below, is a 5 out of 5 stars! Thank you so much for reading! Feel free to comment; they're always welcome!

= Excellent!
    Read my last review, on Lights, Camera, Curses!.
    Read my next review, on The Haunting of Castle Malloy.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Last Game: Lights, Camera, Curses!
    Last edited by disneygirl12; February 5, 2015, 06:59 PM. Reason: Updated to new board color
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Rainbow........

Anyways...great review (as always)!!!! I haven't played any of the Dossiers but they sound interesting. Please continue making both in depth/ cake reviews! I enjoy reading them!!!

~SD

Comment

Originally posted by SoulDancer View Post
      Rainbow........

Anyways...great review (as always)!!!! I haven't played any of the Dossiers but they sound interesting. Please continue making both in depth/ cake reviews! I enjoy reading them!!!

~SD
      Thank you! The Dossiers are fun and enjoyable, and if you want a sample of them, you can play the mini versions of them on the "Play Now" tab. And don't worry, I'll continue both kinds of reviews.
      .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
      ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
      ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
      ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Working...
      X