Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decent Game...But I Found Parts Offensive?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Game...But I Found Parts Offensive?!

This was another decent game from HER Interactive, as all of their games are. Everything was well-done, no complaints really except I would perhaps have preferred a creepier & more traditional "mystery" environment. Oh and the mythology parts were too hard because there was not enough info in the game to help us solve the puzzles. But other than that, I enjoyed it.

However I found this game offensive. HER Interactive says they make "inspiring" games but I did not find this game to be so. In their other games they are big on "girl power" and show off Nancy's wits and capability, but I found this game sexist. Did they get a new writer or something? Because I've never seen HER like this before. The whole premise of the game was based on bad values IMO, plus there were sexist parts, and even one part that suggests conservative values. I like my Nancy Drew games sensitive-issues free ;)

Offensive to me:
    -Animals locked up in lab
    -Depicition of unnattractive overweight woman as a creepy "loser"
    (This really bothered me)
    -Pro-plastic surgery
    -Focus on looks, riches, frivolousness
    -Character mocks liberal magazine, touts conservative political views
    -Little dog squeezed through pipes, swallowing chemicals
    -Assumption that janitor is a man
    -Nancy saying that the reason culprit didn't try to escape is because *they* had two burly policemen with *them*, Nancy saying that *the culprit*was gullible but the policemen weren't (sexist)

So yeah, I found bits of this game bothersome. But like I said in the beginning, it was still a decent game.

Spoilers:
    A spoiler is revealing the identity or gender of a/the culprit(s); posting direct answers such as phone numbers, passwords, codes, answers to quizzes, game ending details etc. Spoilers must be requested by another user in the Hints and Tips boards and the Case Closed board, and they must be written using the "spoiler code" tags as shown below. You do not need to use spoiler code in Game Discussions boards (except the Case Closed board). Never reveal a culprit's name/gender or a game ending unless you are posting in a Game Discussion board.........
    Last edited by Sr.D; April 5, 2010, 06:31 AM. Reason: gender spoiler revealed

Reps for you!

nice review.

I was going to buy the game but now i don't know. Thanks!

-EM
    Hello.

Comment

I can totally see your point of how these can be offending, but I think the whole point of the Dossier series was to create a modern twist to Nancy Drew, and if you take a look at our world, that's how it is (unfortunately). A lot of people have become so caught up in looks and judgments in this world. :/ I think HeR wanted to create a game that kind of reflects our society today with a mix of Nancy Drew's. But, trust me, I get your point (& agree with most of it)! :)

- -ashley
      Last edited by Sr.D; April 5, 2010, 06:33 AM. Reason: removed quote with gender spoilers

Comment

This is probably why I will never play the game.

But it's true. This is how life is now. It's sad.

The Ghost of Thorton Hall

Jamie is my Jace Wayland

Comment

I see where you are coming from but it is life. I have no problem with the following:
          -Animals locked up in lab (the lab was also a vet office)
          -Focus on looks, riches, frivolousness (This is California)
          -Little dog squeezed through pipes, swallowing chemicals (LOL! That's what dogs do!)
          -Assumption that janitor is a man (the janitor was a woman named Joanna)
          Last edited by [email protected]; April 20, 2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

i think it is fine. in the first game one stugent had a little "push' down the stairs, and no one had a probolem with that

Comment

i didn't really pay attention to those things. i just thought since it's a lab/vet's office there are animals being treated, since the people at the resort are rich, if they want plastic surgery they can afford it and the spa offers it. And since the dog is small it can climb through a vent. i can see where you are coming from, but i think that Jasmine called Joanna a "loser" because she was mad at her and wanted her to stop talking, and with the policemen, i just thought that if you have 2 really strong guys next to you, whether you're a man or woman, you probably wouldn't want to mess with them. But there are six alternate endings with different culprits so i guess it depends which one you play. But i can see where you think these parts can be offensive
              Last edited by aprincessndfan1; August 9, 2010, 12:45 PM.
              "Ah water, its like drinking wet air."

I have finished helping Nancy solve her latest case..........
              Shadow at theWaters Edge!!!!

Games Solved:#1-23

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnMemories View Post
                Offensive to me:
                -Pro-plastic surgery
                -Nancy saying that the reason culprit didn't try to escape is because *they* had two burly policemen with *them*, Nancy saying that *the culprit*was gullible but the policemen weren't (sexist)

So yeah, I found bits of this game bothersome. But like I said in the beginning, it was still a decent game.
                1. it is a lab which is why there were animals in it, but I'm with you on this one - that's wrong. Animal rights are being violated there; however, it happens in all labs but it doesn't make it right

2. overweight women are not stereotyped that way - they are actually stereotyped as funny, lazy, and etc - i know this for a fact because this was discussed in my Psychology of Prejudice class. So HER went against the typical stereotype
                3. just because there's plastic surgery doesn't mean they support it - people will choose to do that or not no matter what the game does

4. the world does focus on riches and other stuff like that - the world revolves around money. Although, this doesn't mean that HER cares about this stuff. Spa's are not cheap so people go if they have the money. If I had the money then I would go but that doesn't mean I care about riches. The same applies to HER - just because the focal point is a spa doesn't mean they are putting an emphasis on money.

5. I don't remember this from the game, but why can't a character have beliefs and views? People are allowed to mock other beliefs and views even though it's not polite. That's the way people are, but that doesn't mean that HER is that way.

6. the dog is a Pomeranian btw & pets are always climbing into stuff. My cat will get himself into situations where he gets stuck. To me, that's something a pet would do. As for swallowing chemicals, a pet probably would if let alone. Besides, the chemical was harmless so it didn't hur the dog.

7. i agree about the janitor - that is a stereotype and yes shame on HER for that. HER should have had Nancy ask who the janitor is not using gender specific verbs.

8. policemen imply that they are men - stereotype. if the culprit was a female then assuming the culprit is gullible is sexist especially saying the officers weren't. if the culprit is a male then not sexist - i am not sure what it would be. That statement does involve stereotyping because women are officers too, and it should have said police officer not policeman. There is a possibility for sexism, but not guaranteed.
                Last edited by iFairy22; May 9, 2010, 08:30 AM.
                Beyond the ancient pyramids
                ............rumors of terrifying curses fly ك
                ... I t ' s ..u p..t o..y o u..a s..N a n c y ..D r e w
                ...R...to solve the ancient riddle in
                Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

I totally understand where you are coming from, and I found some parts pushing it. I get your point, and I definitely agree, but like Ashley said, I think HeR is trying to make a modern day game which involves stereotypes and situations in our world today - something that maybe we can relate to. Although I didn't like the offensive parts, I think HeR did a good job with this game.
                  - kara
                  ℓeave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream.

Comment

I found this game to be so boring, shallow, and Un-Nancy that I only played for an hour. It was terrible, so I had to give up. I am used to a very challenging game, strong main character, and messages that don't involve glorifying materialism even for a minute.
                    I'm developing a powerful craving for couscous. Yeees... Couscous would be nice.
                    dOn'T tAlK tO sTrAnGeRs On ThE pHoNe... UnLeSs YoU'rE nAnCy DrEw ThAt Is.
                    I could write a poem or two about chocolate milk.
                    •.,¸_¸,.•´.....*•-•´......¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
                    ......................`•.,¸,.•´.....*•-•´

Thou speakest a'right. I am the merry wanderer of the night.

SCK | STFD | MHM | TRT | FIN | SSH | DOG | CAR | DDI | SHA | CUR | CLK | TRN | DAN | CRE | ICE | CRY | VEN | HAU | RAN | WAC | TOT | SAW | ASH | TMB |
                    ~ Miss Icia and Liz
                    Hanging around the message boards for 6 years. Hanging with Nancy for 14.

Comment

Wow I kinda forgot I wrote this review, hehe. But yay, someone who agrees with me! I agree, it was pretty shallow, especially compared to most of the ND games, which do a good job of not being overly girly or shallow. I still enjoy the series but I was disappointed in the themes of this game. :/ Thanks for commenting!

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnMemories View Post
                        Offensive to me:
                        -Animals locked up in lab Depends, was anything gruesome shown like a bisection or even a disection? I doubt it, but if it was just to send a message like such a character is cruel to lock up animals, then it is for story purposes.
                        -Depicition of unnattractive overweight woman as a creepy "loser" I don't know the whole story, but if it came from Nancy's pov then it's not right, but another character and it could show shallowness.
                        -Pro-plastic surgery Welcome to the real world
                        -Focus on looks, riches, frivolousness Again, this is America
                        -Character mocks liberal magazine, touts conservative political views depends, on which character. ND should be neutral, anyone else though is fair game. Real life includes politics.
                        -Little dog squeezed through pipes, swallowing chemicals I don't know the whole story, if someone did this to the dog and it was in pain, it might cross the appropriate line and it was shown it might fall
                        -Assumption that janitor is a man I find this slightly offensive, but once again it depends on whether it was Nancy or another culprit seeing things this way-Nancy saying that the reason culprit didn't try to escape is because *they* had two burly policemen with *them*, Nancy saying that *the culprit*was gullible but the policemen weren't (sexist) Was the culprit gullible? Did he/she think they could make an impossible escape or trust someone?

I would really like to see you open a thread like this on the game discussions board so that you can go more into detail
                        In the real world, religion and politics can be found everywhere. The way I see it is that as long as HeR keeps our heroine, Nancy Drew, as neutral it does not matter what other characters think or say. I will stay neutral and not vote this thread, but I would love if you could post the whole story on the game discussion board.
                        » CassandraBelic♫ «
                        [] · [] · []
                        Where bubbly pink letters meet morbid dark humor

What Female Book Characters Taught Us-
                        HERMIONE (Harry Potter): never let words bring you down, and always stand by your friends.
                        KATNISS (the Hunger Games): fight for what you believe in and never give up.
                        BELLA (Twilight): i am worthless without a man.

Comment

CassandraBelic, I think the thread would be an interesting discussion, I will try to open a thread later on when I have the time. I'm a little embarrassed of this thread actually lol, cause I wrote it a couple years ago and it's maybe a little harsher than I would be now. Thanks for your interesting comments, though

Comment

Offensive to me:
                            -Animals locked up in lab They were getting treated for medical problems, not having products tested on them.
                            -Depicition of unnattractive overweight woman as a creepy "loser" Can't argue with you there.
                            -Pro-plastic surgery There either, but HeR is not pro-plastic surgery, even though Mrs. Montague is.
                            -Focus on looks, riches, frivolousness The focus is not on looks, riches, or frivolousness, they are just mentioned sometimes.
                            -Character mocks liberal magazine, touts conservative political views ??????
                            -Little dog squeezed through pipes This was meant to be a funny instance, and as he wasn't hurt one little bit, but bounced merrily away (lol) I see no problem with it. swallowing chemicals We were told expressly several times that he was fine.Assumption that janitor is a man no thoughts.
                            -Nancy saying that the reason culprit didn't try to escape is because *they* had two burly policemen with *them*, Nancy saying that *the culprit*was gullible but the policemen weren't (sexist) no thoughts.

This was just my little ole' opinion. Pay no mind to it unless you want to.

Ali-Cat!

mini Aξ #1: the.. c ѧ p t i γ e ..c u ʁ s ε
                            In Which Lukas Mittlemeier Is A Monster Expert

mini Aξ #2: c r ε a t u ʁ e oƒ k α p u cavε
                            In Which Joe Hardy Learns That Wooden Masks
                            Aren’t the Only Things That Can Give You Headaches

Comment

Offensive to me:
                              -Pro-plastic surgery
                              I just played it an hour ago, so my memory's fresh. These are my impressions.

1. Animals: They were locked up the same as in animal hospitals because they were sick, needed special meds, and some were contagious. Each one ate specific food that the others couldn't have. This was a hospital situation - intensive care. When I took my pets to the vet to have them "fixed", he put them all in separate cages with labels.

2. Unattractive woman: At first Nancy was startled because the woman was frowning and angry. But Nancy kindly asked her about herself and sympathized with her about her brother the writer. She brought out the soft side of this woman and acknowledged her intelligence. Could she have motive?

3. plastic surgery: This resort catered to extreme wealth. People could slip in for surgery & avoid the media. The plastic surgery magazine belonged to the actress which is normal in show biz. Nancy was unaffected by their criticism of her looks because she has a lot of self confidence. Give her a Koko Kringle.

4. focus on looks, $, frivolousness: Yes, the wealthy, famous characters were clients who were self absorbed. Each one was shown to have possible motive base on their feelings of self-entitlement. Did someone feel entitled enough to seek revenge?

5. touts conservative: The male receptionist had resentment towards rich people based on his own unhappiness. The magazine was a game tool used to dig up his bitterness as a possible motive. Does he resent rich people enough to blow them up?

6. little dog: He was a mischievous, tiny dog that kept getting himself into tight spots and eating non-food things. No characters tried to abuse the dog. Nancy kept running around rescuing him. She asked the manager if the chems were toxic.

7. assumed janitor is man: This comment came from the actress. She also said, "Does this place even have a janitor?". Both comments reveal how she doesn't notice the "little people" working around her. She's a princess, they are the dirt beneath her feet. If someone were killed by a bomb, would she care?

8. gullible: Nancy said the police weren't as gullible as she must have been to believe the sob story from the guilty person. Yes, Nancy felt sorry for the perp. She's a teen, she's allowed a little gullibility.

9. burly police backup: Nancy usually involved the local police in the original books. I think we forget she's a teen girl with no legal authority. At least Nancy didn't get bonked on the head this time, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X