• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RED Review

Resorting to Danger: released in August 2009

Based on the Book: None, as far as I know

The Mystery/Crime: Bombings

Mode Of Transportation: None; the game takes place in the resort and on its grounds, so Nancy can walk everywhere

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Ancient Greece

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is hired to investigate bombings at the Redondo Centre for Rejuvenation, an upscale luxury spa and resort. The bombs aren't deadly but are annoying and could cause the resort to lose clients, as they release things such as bugs, slime, and rotten eggs. Nancy goes undercover as the new general assistant of the resort in order to investigate.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Cassidy Jones - the receptionist of the resort
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Tyler Blackburn

2. Helfdan Helgason - The biochemist who works at the resort's lab creating new beauty products
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Henning Moritzen

3. Jasmine Ivy - An actress who is currently a guest at the resort
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Zendaya

4. Joanna Brown - The janitor of the resort
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Dot-Marie Jones

5. Mrs. Montague - A rich snobby woman who is a guest at the resort
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Holland Taylor

6. Nicholas Bleski - the manager of the resort
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Christian Bale

Other Characters:

Mr. Mingles - Mrs. Montague's cute but very bratty pet Pomeranian

Other animals (rats, a cat, a monkey, an iguana, a squirrel)

Gossiping guests at the resort

My favorite quotes:

"More likely its dreadful owner is chewing on the wiring" - one of the guests at the resort, responding to another guest who says that the dog might be chewing on the wiring

"They referred to me as "the teenage sleuth who solved the bombings in between a few much-needed procedures." - Nancy's end letter

"That shallow, no-talent, self-absorbed little pea brain who thinks acting is being able to scream in three different octaves - you think she's my sister?" - Jasmine Ivy

My Thoughts: I really like this game. It's labeled as a "hidden object game" but it is way more involved and way more fun than most hidden object games. You do have to find objects, but you also have to use the objects together in a logical way. Plus there are several puzzles and mini-games to solve as well. It has a great story line that unfolds nicely as "chapters" throughout the game. You also interact with interesting characters. I think my favorite thing about the game is how you have to choose the correct dialogue options. Those are like fun little mini-quizzes that reward you for paying attention; plus some of the incorrect choices are hilarious.

As with the previous dossier game, one thing I don't like is the repetition of the mini-games. I would have preferred more variety instead of just playing the same couple mini-games over and over. Also like the previous dossier game, I don't like the fact that I have played this game several times and still haven't received enough points to get the bonus ending, and that makes me sad. The thing I disliked most was the switchboard/phone call task; I really hate that min-game.

I have mixed feelings about the fact that this game has so many different endings. On the one hand it gives the game a ton of replay value and that's awesome. On the other hand it makes it feel like it's not really a mystery game. The game also has a very unusual trait (I can't go into specifics because it would be a spoiler) that made me kept getting the same ending the first couple times I played. I didn't like that.

I really like both this game and the other dossier game. If I had to choose which one I like better I would go with Lights, Camera, Curses, but this one is very fun and replayable as well.

My Random Comment: I want to respond to some of the comments I've seen on the reviews for this game from people who felt that the game glorified materialistic and shallow things such as looks and wealth, as I didn't feel that way at all while playing this game. I actually felt the exact opposite. The characters were so self-absorbed, rude, snobby, and materialistic (note the way they all tell Nancy she needs work done); it seems to me the game was mocking them, not glorifying them.

My Rating: 8/10
Working...
X