Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want to see next? (moved to Blogs and Tweets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want to see next? (moved to Blogs and Tweets)

Hi all. I saw this on the blog

" Little Jackalope says:
    December 5, 2019 at 2:50 pm
    Hello xxxxxxx – yes, we are planning on another Nancy Drew game after Midnight in Salem. 🙂"

So we've got another game planned! I know MID wasn't everyones cup of tea, but lets try to set a positive atmosphere. There's too much doomsaying and negativity going around, IMO. If you don't like the game, that's cool, but rather than despair, lets turn that into seeing how the next game can be better.

This game felt a bit like SCK, a new game finding its feet. I'm hoping it'll jump ahead next, like HER did with ST4D. As their first outing on a new engine with a long, seemingly troubled development, I saw it as a promising game with some bugs and flaws to fix. I posted my detailed thoughts on a review, but lets see how you feel the games can improve.

I got:
    Further expansion of the engine to improve graphics and interactivity. I LOVE the new engine and think it has great potential for development. Like it or not, the old engine was at its limit. The populated town center was a great new addition but it all needs polishing.

More puzzles

Simpler options (I like music a little lower so I can hear the voices better and this was hidden in advanced options)

More places to explore and more to do in the existing ones.

A bit more danger. I thought the flooding tunnel scene was a great demo of the new engine. Ghosts and hallucinating weirdness with a constantly rising water level made this bit frantic fun for me (am a touch claustrophobic so hit a few nerves in the right way). I was relieved to see the peril element still around, though I would've liked more than just this and the button pushing. Gets boring otherwise.

So lets see some constructive thoughts :) I see it as a first step into a new range, possibly appealing to a new generation as another used mentioned. So lets see what ppl feel would make a good next step.
    Last edited by hedgie; December 6th, 2019, 10:19 AM. Reason: Mod's Note: Posts discussing the Amateur Sleuth Blog belong on the Blogs and Tweets forum.

I agree there is potential in the new engine, even if I preferred the old one. So for the next game:

Definitely more puzzles, and more places to snoop.

Bring back the journal. I miss being able to refer to Nancy's notes on Observations and Suspects.

Stop the repetition in conversations. If a conversation has happened, then the next time Nancy visits that person, it would be better if the options just go straight to the "talk to you later", instead of repeating a long dialogue cutscene.

And I agree about the danger - or at least tension, like in older games when Nancy had to accomplish something within a certain timeframe before she got caught. You have to feel that what Nancy does, matters. It's not much of a game without it.

I'd like some improvement around the hot-spots, but I guess that's just something I have to get used to.

And because there are things in MID that I would like to keep going forward, I hope the next game also includes as many interesting characters for Nancy to interact with as MID does, and that those characters aren't stuck in one location all the time. Seeing characters show up in multiple locations was one of the best things in MID.

Comment

That's how I see the game too, Monkey, I made a thread comparing MID to the earlier games. :-)

So, here's what I hope can happen for future games:

Better movement in game. I don't know if it's possible on unity or not to make the walking around look like it did in past games but now with the option of looking up and down in place. That was something that bugged me about watching the game play of MID, movement looked jump-y, confusing, and that one part where Nancy just slides to the stairwell in the museum still hurts lol!

We got some danger in this game, keep it up! And with more second chances :-D

Loved the interaction with objects in the inventory I hope this continues but with more inventory items in the future. I see great potential for sleuthing in the future like finding fingerprints on stuff, messages on the back of pictures, etc.

If we have characters that follow us around in future games, they need to disappear around important information and puzzles so they're not in the way. But I do think that's a fun element having other characters there with Nancy, like Deirdre giving the suspects and Nancy sass lol!

I also loved having lots of characters, kalliopiea, and it was nice to see something that the fans asked for included in the game! I'm thinking that was one of the reasons for the change to unity. I hope it continues to the next game as well!
      Castle Quote
      Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
      Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
      I love this line!

Comment

At this juncture (having seen part 1 as played by Arglefumph) I would respectfully demand an option to skip puzzles. Arglefumph ends part 1 by postponing a puzzle. This is a good puzzle. I have seen it before, and it is fun-- one time-- to solve that puzzle. I do not want to spend time on it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
          At this juncture (having seen part 1 as played by Arglefumph) I would respectfully demand an option to skip puzzles. Arglefumph ends part 1 by postponing a puzzle. This is a good puzzle. I have seen it before, and it is fun-- one time-- to solve that puzzle. I do not want to spend time on it again.
          I agree! At least for puzzles like that. I'm not a very puzzle-y person and I've been wanting one for a long time. There are some I do enjoy working through, but there are certain kinds of puzzles that when you can't really offer a solution to someone that would be nice to have the option to skip. Like that puzzle, Joe's gadget...if it's always random even if someone could be like rotate it to the right this many times there's no way to really know if you're on the right puzzle-solution. If that makes sense lol.

And, since they are trying to reach a new audience, a skip option would appeal to newer gamers because that's the way a lot of new games do their puzzles now.
          Last edited by Kyokai; December 14th, 2019, 11:14 AM.
          Castle Quote
          Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
          Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
          I love this line!

Comment

Working...
          X