Weekend Puzzle #372

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Puzzle #372

I know this is only Tuesday but I want to talk about the weekend puzzle that was posted on Amateur Sleuth blog on October 15, 2021. Anyone familiar with this kind of puzzle? I'm stumped! Also, it's been awhile since I've seen anyone posting about weekend puzzles!
    ~ MD12 ~

I can’t figure it out either!

Comment

I had a theory, but it has failed me. I assumed it was some sort of cipher relating to the symbols at the bottom of the riddle, spelling out N-A-N-C-Y. I don't know what needs a spoiler code or not, so to be safe, I'll put my "method" in code:

There are five symbols at the bottom of the riddle, enough to spell out Nancy's name. I presumed the first and third images stood for Silhouette, meaning that the letter S represents the letter N. I also wondered if those images actually represented Nancy, and therefore the letter N stayed the same (N). The second image was either a Torch (T=A), a Flashlight (F=A), or a Light (L=A, and I don't think I ever actually tested out this version... I should go back and try it), the fourth image a Magnifying glass (M=C), and the final image either a Fingerprint (F=Y, which is why the second image was initially a Torch in my mind) or simply Print (P=Y).

I then proceeded to calculate how many letters over you'd have to move to decipher the code. For instance, S=N, so you'd move over -5 letters, and so the first letter in the cipher (Q) would be L. The next letter in the cipher, moving through the row, would be +7 (T to the letter A with that formula), making the N become U. And so on until I'd changed the first five letters. Then the question was, do you start all over with the last letter in the row being treated as S=N (or N=N depending on which interpretation of the symbol I was using), or does the last letter remain as it is, because the bottom row, with the icons, ends with just a regular letter.

Anyway, I tried a bunch of different things, and still nothing made sense. I also question my theory, because the first and third image, though both are representations of Nancy and are often termed a Silhouette, they are technically DIFFERENT images, and the letter N should not have two different symbols; it should be the same symbol representing N throughout. Or... does it not actually matter that N is the letter being assigned that symbol; is one supposed to be Nancy and the other a silhouette, and we only worry about the numerical end of things? Tricky, tricky! In which case (I keep editing this as more thoughts come to mind), it's more likely that the first symbol represents Silhouette, and the second one Nancy, the reason being that if the first is Nancy, then Q remains the same, and words starting with Q are difficult to get. You need a U next, which is possible, but then you need another vowel, and if the third symbol represents either N or S, you're left with either S or N, both consonants, and no word can be formed.

I'd like to think I was on to something... am I?

Also, thanks to
      mdetective12 for pointing out the riddle. I didn't know these things were around!
      Last edited by Olallie; October 21, 2021, 01:57 PM.
      Olallie

Cassidy Jones:
      Well. Now that people seem to be all done slinging mud at me,
      I think I'll go take a bath in some.

-- Resorting to Danger --

Comment

I’m not really sure how but apparently
        if you look at the comments in that same blog post about this puzzle, the answer is new intern coming
        🤔
        ~ MD12 ~

Comment

Here's the path to solve it:

If you start at the N in the middle, that is highlighted and go up 1 then right 1 (E) then down 2 (W).
          Left 2 (I) - Up 2 (N) - Up Right (T) - Right 2 (E) - Down 2 (R) - Down 2 (N)
          Left 2 (C) - Left 2 (O) - Up 2 (M) - Up 2 (I) - Up Right (N) - Right 2 (G)

~~ LadyLinda ~~ -----
          LINKS...ND20+ Easter Eggs & Glitchs...CAP Phone Charms...ND Game Extras...TMB Phone Charms

Comment

Wow, I was way off. 😅 I would never have figured that out, I was so on the wrong track.
            Olallie

Cassidy Jones:
            Well. Now that people seem to be all done slinging mud at me,
            I think I'll go take a bath in some.

-- Resorting to Danger --

Comment

Working...
            X