ASH boxed version or download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASH boxed version or download?

I've seen this debated a few times and, as I'm on the fence, I thought I'd make a thread where people from both sides can come and discuss nicely. I'm not saying one is any better than the other. But, which option are you choosing if you do preorder: boxed version or digital download?

As of right now I'm leaning more towards the digital download side just because I do not want to have to pay for shipping and you still get special edition.

What is everyone else doing? Also, if you are getting the boxed game what shipping are you getting?

And lastly, just throwing out a little something in here, but game question: Do you think there will be food included in this game? I was SO excited there was food in CAP, so I'm kinda hoping they keep up that trend and have food in ASH too!

*Poohdoo
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸
    You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,`·-·*©_`*·.,¸_¸,.·*´¨¯))
    there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
    ~Bilbo Baggins; from The Fellowship of the Ring.

I'm getting the boxed edition. I don't like having to pay for the shipping, but I like having a physical box, and more importantly, I like having the game CDs.

I also like that I can install the game with or without an internet connection as I don't always have access to one and it's just nicer I think.

Also - I know you can download the game as many times as you want but I like the idea that years in the future I'll have the physical discs in case I need/want them.

Just my opinion

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
    And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
    ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
    ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
    ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
    ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

I'm a big fan of the digital download. You don't have to pay extra for shipping, which is nice. And as of CAP you can get your game a bit earlier if you preorder just like the people who bought the boxed version (when I preorderd SAW but learned I needed to wait to get my copy it was a major letdown).

I also tend to be a bit disorganized because I move around a lot. If I have the digital copy of the game I don't need to worry about losing my copy if the disk goes missing (I've lost two great games that way....).

Comment

I prefer digital download, mainly because i lose my games REALLY easy, so i can just go back online to download it.
        Also no S&H, definately a plus!
        and now we get to download our games the same day they start shipping box orders.
        Please remember to try to keep TMB plot lines out of your thread titles, so as
        not to spoil it for others until the game is in stores. Read more here Thank you!
        … … … … … … … … … … … … … K a t l y n < 3

I am a Christian!!

TRICKORTREAT!

Comment

I definitely go for the download anymore. I can't really afford shipping unless it's absolutely necessary and my closest retailer is pretty far away, so it's nice that I can still get the game without paying for shipping or driving for so long :) Plus, I lose things very easily and I wind up throwing away the box anyway. With the download, I don't waste any packaging, I save so much money, and I don't have to worry about losing anything :D The whole getting the game early deal is just a bonus.

i love you, boston. </3

Comment

As of right now I think I'm leaning toward the boxed version, but after I saw your post on the thread about the shipping date, it really made me start to think more about it. I've always been a hard copy person, and I used to have no problem buying the game in stores. Then the Special Editions started coming out and I was like "I HAVE TO HAVE IT," even if it meant I had to start preordering. So me, being the hard copy person, directly went for buying the boxed version and paying shipping and having no problem with it. But now, as I'm also a student who wouldn't mind saving some money if I can, I'm really starting to wonder if I need the box. I mean, I understand that people collect the boxes, but for me personally, I'll never have a full collection because several of my games I bought from Target before it all just had jewel cases, and I'm not going to re-buy them just for the plastic cases you get from HER.

That being said, I have a proposition for people on the fence of the whole CD vs. downloading, but I'm not super tech savvy or anything so correct me if this can't be done: couldn't someone just get the download and then save it on a blank CD? I mean it won't be THE game CD or anything, but the game is on the CD, so you'll have it just in case. ^_^
            ~*My reviews and my petition!*~
            *Ransom of the Seven Ships
            *Warnings at Waverly Academy
            *Trail of the Twister
            *Secrets Can Kill - Remastered
            *The Captive Curse
            *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

That's what I'm trying to decide, boxed version or download.

I want to get the boxed because I will have all the games including the box (except for CRE)

But I'm not sure about the download because I don't know if I will be able to install the game on more than one computer!

I'm not good with making decisions!

What do you guys think is best?
              [

Comment

Originally posted by Gummibear99 View Post

I want to get the boxed because I will have all the games including the box (except for CRE)

But I'm not sure about the download because I don't know if I will be able to install the game on more than one computer!

With the digital download, you can install the game on as many computers as you like :). So, it's everything the boxed version is, minus the box and the disk (which is great, actually, because then you can't lose it!)
                { find your freedom in the music }
                artwork : mr. brightside :) writing a cap ae.

coming back this summer!

Comment

Originally posted by Gummibear99 View Post

I would go for the boxed :) especially since you have all the others but 1.
                  I'm sure you'll have fun no matter what though!
                  ♥My Game Collection♥

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
                  |SCK|STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|
                  |SSH|DOG_|CAR|DDI|SHA|
                  |CUR|CLK_|TRN|DAN|CRE|
                  |ICE|CRY_|VEN|HAU|RAN|
                  |WAC|TOT_|SAW|CAP|ASH|
                  |TMB|....|...|...|...|
                  |...|SCK2|LCC|RED|...|
                  GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Comment

I always use digital downloads, but that is because I live in Northern Europe and we don't get the games here. (The only exception is the first two games of the series that I ended up buying on american ebay and have them shipped because it was the only way to get to play them) But in general i prefer downloads in any games, and it is so nice that those of us that preorder can now download the games earlier. Major improvement!

I am so excited this games is finally close by!! I can't wait, I am planning on taking a day off work so I can play as much as I want....
                    I am proud to be a
                    RAINBOW

Closets are for clothes!

Comment

Europeans

I agree with Flippa... major improvement... can`t wait to preorder the download ,unfortunately I can`t take days off at work,but there`s a planty off free time after work ...
                      ♀♥♂

Comment

I'm one of those people on the fence. What are the pros. and cons. of the digital vs. the boxed?
                        This is how we know what love is:
                        Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.
                        ~~ 1 John 3:16

(¯¨`*·.….¸.·*´¨¯¨`*·.¸…_╔═╗
                        .`×.,¸__¸,.×´…….…......╔═╝ ╚═╗
                        Where is thy.......╚═╗ ╔═╝
                        ..victory, death?....║ ║

©
                        ………………………where is thy Sting?

Comment

I've never done the digital version so all I can give are the pros and cons of the boxed version:

Pros:
                          --having the box/disc for collection.
                          --getting to see the disc color.
                          --having a hard copy of the game.

Cons:
                          --shipping $$$
                          --extra wait time.
                          --if you get 5-7 day you will either get the game 1 day before it hits stores, or like me you would get it after it hits stores, but have to pay all that extra shipping money.
                          --hoping UPS doesn't deliver your package late.
                          --having all the boxes and disc cases to store (if you are a college student space is hard to come by I've been told. My mum just doesn't like me junking up the house lol.)

Anyone who goes digital like to give us the pros and cons for that side? Or even anyone that would like to add to my list.

**Poohdoo
                          "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸
                          You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,`·-·*©_`*·.,¸_¸,.·*´¨¯))
                          there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
                          ~Bilbo Baggins; from The Fellowship of the Ring.

Comment

Originally posted by poohdoo View Post
                            I've never done the digital version so all I can give are the pros and cons of the boxed version:

Pros:
                            --having the box/disc for collection.
                            --getting to see the disc color.
                            --having a hard copy of the game.

Cons:
                            --shipping $$$
                            --extra wait time.
                            --if you get 5-7 day you will either get the game 1 day before it hits stores, or like me you would get it after it hits stores, but have to pay all that extra shipping money.
                            --hoping UPS doesn't deliver your package late.
                            --having all the boxes and disc cases to store (if you are a college student space is hard to come by I've been told. My mum just doesn't like me junking up the house lol.)

Anyone who goes digital like to give us the pros and cons for that side? Or even anyone that would like to add to my list.

**Poohdoo

I can give some of the pros and cons of downloading :)

Pros:
                            -Can download again from any other computer.
                            -No worries about losing any discs :D
                            -No wasted raw materials (i.e. the cardboard packaging)
                            -More affordable
                            -Available faster
                            -Available for international buyers

Cons:
                            -Need an internet connection
                            -Sometimes can take awhile to download depending on your internet provider

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll edit if I come up with anymore :)

i love you, boston. </3

Comment

A con about d/l that someone mentioned on another board is that you have to buy the game twice if you want to run it on a MAC and on a PC

Comment

Working...
                              X