No announcement yet.

Fast forward conversations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy about this! I would definitely use it for those long 10 minute convos lol. Thanks for posting, have a nice day everyone

Comment

Personally, I'm not happy about this. I understand it's usefulness when it comes to replaying and all that, but to me, listing this feature implies that the conversations themselves aren't all that important or relevant. Characters, and what they have to say, should be a focal part of a mystery in my opinion.

I think maybe HER included this new feature because they received a lot of complaints from people about how boring and long conversations in recent games were. But I don't think this is a good way to fix it. I think they tried to fix it in DED by making conversations limited and short...but to me, this made the mystery completely incoherent and disconnected. I had no idea what was going on with the characters, never got to talk to them about anything important, and felt I never really got to know them, much less their involvement in the case as a whole.

I feel like this is a quick fix for a bigger issue-- what we need is more relevant, connected, intriguing dialogue that makes players voluntarily want to listen to the entire conversation-- how the dialogue should be in the first place, meaningful.

Just my opinion.
      It's never too late to be who you might have been...[ George Eliot ]

reviews:TMBxASHxCAPxSAWxRANxHAUxVEN

Comment

I have to admit this is the only thing I'm not excited about but as long as I don't accidentally click the skip button I should be fine. Cuz I'm listening to the whole conversation no matter what! Maybe....

Comment

Something just occured to me...if they have this option available, does this mean they're going to have more chit-chat than ever before in HeR-History?!!
          Spread the word! On
          March 5
          We're going to set a new
          HER Record
          click here for more info

The HeR message boards taught me to be a girl who "isn't afraid"
          and to pursue my dreams! THESE very boards made me the
          creative girl I am today... thank you Herians! Though I don't have
          much time for ND these days, I sign in now and again to see
          what 'fun' is still being had here. -Penny

Comment

Hmm....

Im not very happy about this because if you are able to speed through something like that, you might miss something they say. If herinteractive knows that, conversations with everyone will be useless because herinteractive wont want you to miss important parts of the game!

But.. I guess a lot of people complained about the length of the conversations in a few of the games. Im kind of a little for both sides I guess.
            Last edited by *MysteryGirlie*; March 24, 2013, 05:07 AM. Reason: Extra paragraph :)

Comment

I'm thinking maybe if you mistakely skipped the converstation, Nancy would automaticly put the info the character says in her journal even if we don't hear them say it! I really hope that's right because I sometimes zone out of the converstation I forget what characters say sometimes!

Oh wait a minute! I re-read the Fast Forward section and it looks like the character would be talking fast or something.
              Last edited by mdetective12; March 24, 2013, 05:14 AM.
              ~ MD12 ~

Comment

Since it just says Accelerate through conversations not skip through conversations I think it will be like in The Sims where there is normal, fast, and ultra fast speeds. At leat something like that.
                •*¨¯¨*•¸THE GHOST OF THORNTON HALL¸•*¨¯¨*•
                ´`´`•.,¸_¸,.•´`•.,¸_¸,.•´*•*•*•*`•.,¸_¸,.•´`•.,¸_¸ ,.•´`´`
                SOME FAMILIES KEEP
                `•.,¸_¸,.•´DEADLY SECRETS`•.,¸_¸,.•´
                MAY 14TH, 2013
                `•.,¸_¸,.•´

Arizona Shadows: A SHA AE

Comment

Yeah I think the whole fast forward thing is pretty lame. I'm not very fussy and I've been cool with all the other changes in the past (although I do occasionally mourn the loss of the book interface - RIP, ha.) but this one is kind of dumb. It defeats one of the greatest points of the game - talking to/interrogating suspects. They did this with the dossier series which is understandable because it's a point and click game, but it just doesn't seem appropriate for the adventure series. I don't know, just not a big fan. I'll get over it.
                  ; kennedy

BIM has me reborn. All i can say is this:
                  I crave that ponytail.

Originally posted by Lost+Dreaming
                  Yeah I agree Ned is most definitely a mother. I agree that Ned should have a child. He is so lonely and unfulfilled he needs a good crying sack of baby to spice up his life.

Comment

I don't like it.

With each new game, I feel like we're getting farther and farther away from the original games. Which I get, because things do change, but...if I can fast-forward the dialogue, the dialogue must not be that important, then, which is slightly disappointing.
                    i finished what i started -- ven ae

Comment

Originally posted by DetectiveK8ie View Post
                      I don't like it.

With each new game, I feel like we're getting farther and farther away from the original games. Which I get, because things do change, but...if I can fast-forward the dialogue, the dialogue must not be that important, then, which is slightly disappointing.
                      That right there sums up exactly how I feel. Bravo.

BIM has me reborn. All i can say is this:
                      I crave that ponytail.

Originally posted by Lost+Dreaming
                      Yeah I agree Ned is most definitely a mother. I agree that Ned should have a child. He is so lonely and unfulfilled he needs a good crying sack of baby to spice up his life.

Comment

I don't like it either. I can understand the value for re-play, but it doesn't feel like something that would be in a true, classic ND game.

I feel as though the games used to have substance to them. Great locations, great plots, unique start-up screens, and unique characters that had interesting things to say. Even in the older games, where I can pretty much quote everything that the characters say, I don't mind listening to it again and again because the dialogue is just so well-written. The games seem to be drifting from this a bit.

I also feel as though the games are now losing that substance and quality and headed in the direction of the kinds of games that you can buy in the store for like $5, or download online for free. The uniqueness is just dropping off. The new start up interface especially reminds me of those kinds of games. The new graphics (too cartoon-y), the new mouse pointers (and the loss of the red magnifying glass!), the locations, and now the option to skip convos? To me, all of these things just scream cheap, cartoon, point-and-click game and these games are not supposed to be about that. Even back in the days when the graphics weren't as well-developed, these games still seemed to be of a higher quality.

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
                        And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
                        ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
                        ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
                        ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
                        ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

I'm pretty sure the conversations will be exactly as we are used to. I don't think there is any indication that the conversations will be "less important" because of this new feature. I'm sure the only reason HER is including this is because fans have been requesting it for years now. If people choose to skip the conversation on their first play through and miss something important, that is their own fault. As I stated in a previous post, I will probably never use this feature but it's nice that HER included it because others will when they replay. People really need to start looking at the big picture. This addition is not the end of the world.
                          Leaves that appear on a fresh spring tree,
                          make my birth different from the other three.
                          when swans drift by on shimmering blue,
                          I'm the one who plays in the summer dew.
                          When autumns call brings out the deer,
                          I'm the one who howls on mornings clear.
                          And when winter comes and birds take flight,
                          look to me to sleep through the long gray night.

Eagerly waiting for ND #31

Comment

I don't see why people are freaking out. You have the choice to skip over but you don't have too. If you don't like it then just don't do it! Then the game will be like it always is.
                            Dance in the rain
                            Dance in the sun
                            Dance when no one's watching
                            Dance harder when they are
                            Dance to heal a wound
                            Dance to mend a broken bone
                            Dance to heal a broken heart
                            Dance
                            Copyright: DanceUrHeartOut
                            Please check out my games!

Comment

I really don't think the conversations are going to be any less important. I think the fast-forward option is available for replay when you've already played the game ten times and you just want to get to the action. On the games that I've played the most (WAC, ICE, VEN, CAP, and a few others) I've heard the dialogue so much that I just want to skip it, but I have to listen to the 10 minute long conversations to progress on to the parts of the game I love the most. It's not that the conversations aren't important. When I first started off, I would save the game in the middle of conversations just to see what selecting differences responses would do to the conversation. But now, I know what the characters are saying, and I want to get to the game.

I can't see using the feature until maybe the 4th time of playing. Then on, however, I can see really liking it.

I don't see the dialogue becoming chit-chatish or irrelevant. However, if you want to hear the characters, then you don't have to fast forward through the dialogue, or skip it. I think people should wait until they have the game and try it out before they make judgements.

That's just my opinion. I don't wish to offend anyone.
                              My Game Reviews
                              |SCK|STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|SSH|
                              |DOG|CAR|DDI|SHA|CUR|CLK|
                              |GTH|

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy Drew View Post

I also feel as though the games are now losing that substance and quality and headed in the direction of the kinds of games that you can buy in the store for like $5, or download online for free. The uniqueness is just dropping off. The new start up interface especially reminds me of those kinds of games. The new graphics (too cartoon-y), the new mouse pointers (and the loss of the red magnifying glass!), the locations, and now the option to skip convos? To me, all of these things just scream cheap, cartoon, point-and-click game and these games are not supposed to be about that. Even back in the days when the graphics weren't as well-developed, these games still seemed to be of a higher quality.

Agreed x1000. I really, really, really dislike the new interface. The last interface, although not the original, was still good and I still liked it.

I'm not trying to be mean, or sound like a spoiled ungrateful brat (and I apologize if I'm coming off as one), but what I don't understand is why HER made such a drastic change in the interface. The difficulty levels aren't even called Junior/Senior detective anymore! What was the point even in changing them to Amateur/Master sleuth? And yes, I understand that it doesn't really matter to those playing, and that it doesn't affect the gameplay - but I just don't get why HER is trying to make these games feel less like Nancy Drew. I know we've only had two games since the new interface, but those games almost didn't even feel like ND to me. (Especially TMB - DED wasn't too bad, actually, but it lacked a lot of things)

Look at some petitions around here; quite a few include bringing back the bookcases, going back to "original ND", etcetc. And I know HER does value our opinions, but I feel like when they go and change things even more that they are ignoring them.

I can see times for skipping dialogue when it's long, but honestly, if the dialogue is so long that I want to skip it even on my fifth replay, it shouldn't be there; the old conversations were short, but memorable and to the point. Now, I feel like conversations don't really have a purpose, they are way too long, and none of them are really memorable. The ability to skip them doesn't fix the problem.

Sorry for the mini-rant, I do love ND and HER, but as Poppy Drew said, they are losing their uniqueness.
                                i finished what i started -- ven ae

Comment

Working...
                                X