Game #29: Happy or Unhappy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #29: Happy or Unhappy?

Just finished the game, and saw the teaser. I think that I am excited for the next game! HER decided to go in a little deeper to Nancy's life; this adds much suspense and intrigue, and I like it. However, I could see how some people might not like it.. Any thoughts?
    Coucou rocks, coucou rolls, coucou rules. Oh, yeah

I'm personally liking this plot twist. All these years of not knowing anything about Nancy's mother is finally going to change!

Comment

I just really hope the plot is handled carefully...it has been repeatedly said that Nancy's mom died when she was very young, so I don't want to be disrespectful towards Nancy's mom in any way.

However, that being said, I have been concerned about games in the past (DED for example), and my concerns have been proven wrong. So I hope that HeR does it again! I will have to trust that they will do a good job and that the game will be great!
      My Game Reviews
      |SCK|STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|SSH|
      |DOG|CAR|DDI|SHA|CUR|CLK|
      |GTH|

Comment

It really is a plot twist to go deeper into Nancy's life. HER isn't following the books, and I like that. I'd say that I'm pretty happy about this!

-Danielle
        "The only way
        out of the Labyrinth of Suffering
        is to forgive."
        -Looking For Alaska by John Green

.¸+*¨¯¨*+¸
        (…'…*·-·'…...……((¯`+¸
        .`+¸…………………`·.,¸¸'
        the wasted years, the wasted youth
        ....…`·,………the pretty lies, the ugly truth
        ….…...`+.,¸¸,.+*¨¯¨*+.,¸¸,.+´ `+.,¸_¸,.+*¨¯¨*+¸
        ….….…………………….…………¸-»….'…))
        ….………………………….……….'+.,¸_¸,.+´
        Signature by: Nancy Drew

Comment

Originally posted by loveadobie View Post
          I just really hope the plot is handled carefully...it has been repeatedly said that Nancy's mom died when she was very young, so I don't want to be disrespectful towards Nancy's mom in any way.

However, that being said, I have been concerned about games in the past (DED for example), and my concerns have been proven wrong. So I hope that HeR does it again! I will have to trust that they will do a good job and that the game will be great!
          Yeah, I can see how some may be concerned about respecting her mom's death and following the books.. I guess we will have to leave it in HER's hands!
          Coucou rocks, coucou rolls, coucou rules. Oh, yeah

Comment

I'm conflicted. I do like the idea for the game a lot (I started writing a fan-fiction on the topic of Nancy's mother a few years ago, but never finished it); I'm just a little worried about how HeR goes about it. The only way I can explain is to compare it to showing Nancy's face. They will please some fans, but not all of them. The same with this.
            Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

Personally, I'm actually unhappy about this. This wasn't tackled in any of the book series and I just don't think it can be pulled off very well.

~Ari
              Proud Member of the CRE Easter Egg Clue Crew!
              Along with Royal Payne, disneygirl12, Ndfan1234, mdetective12, secretariat, highondrew and Vanilla Muffin!

~Ari

Comment

I'm happy about it. It sounds like an intense and interesting plot. Also, I like the idea of us getting to know more about Nancy and who she is.

Comment

Originally posted by Arianna12 View Post
                  Personally, I'm actually unhappy about this. This wasn't tackled in any of the book series and I just don't think it can be pulled off very well.

~Ari
                  Agreed. I'm not at all happy about this. I keep hoping that it's all a hoax and Nancy's mom didn't actually lead a spy's life and isn't still alive. I fear that if HeR chooses to give her mom that story, it will ruin Nancy's family history--for the characters and for ME. I don't like this idea at all. I'm really upset by it, actually. And I wonder if this story line was chosen because some people petitioned it? If yes, that disappoints me a great deal, because people can petition what they'd like to see, but those of us who are against ideas don't band together ahead of time to bash an idea--that wouldn't be fair nor nice, and it's against the rules of the board. I wish HeR knew that though there are a lot of people who may like an idea, there could be equal numbers who are strongly opposed to it...
                  ²..Rianna
                  .¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸…..¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ .If you can hear me now
                  (......°.¸_¸.'¸.•°......°.¸_¸.' ……I'm .r e a c h i n g out
                  .°•.,¸_¸,.•°…..²¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸……¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ To let you know that
                  ……………………'.¸_¸°……°•.¸ '.¸_¸°……) …… You're .not a l o n e
                  ©Rianna..…………………²….°•.,¸_¸,.•° Lullaby - Nickelback

Comment

I'm personally still thinking about it. On the one hand I would love to know more about Nancy and her family...

But, I feel like if it wasn't mentioned or fully addressed in the books it might exaggerate, invent, and falsify my interpretation of Nancy Drew as a fictional character.

Here's why:

1. We never really get past Nancy's River Heights family and friends in the books. All of these constant supporting characters retain the similar identities they have had since the beginning of Nancy Drew Mystery Stories. George is still "tomboyish," Bess still "girly" and into boys, Ned always supportive, Hannah always caring and a "like a mother," Carson successful and caring. They have been updated only within their interests to fit the trends of the decade they were written in, where even Nancy Drew drives a blue hybrid in the recent Girl Detective publications rather than the blue roadster of the 1930's. While their personalities generally remain the same, their personal interests vary from decade to decade to become more relatable to the current generation.

These changes to update the constant characters from the books are to make these books more relatable to readers in our time which is quite fine in my personal opinion. But, within that we have Nancy's mother, a character that we as readers never had any information about, she was not a "constant" character we got to know anything about. Someone who has almost always remained a distant and unknowable character in Nancy's life and was never fully revealed characteristically speaking or personality-wise. Although Nancy never knew much about her (as per the vague "she died when Nancy was three" description in the books), the reader always assumes that the mother was not an influence in Nancy's upbringing simply because this topic rarely warranted a full dialogue about. The books rarely gave us information regarding Nancy's mom, thus she remained a mystery. Of course we can assume that the death of the mom led and encouraged Nancy to become who she is/was, but it is not a certainty.

To go and question such an aspect in Nancy's life and upbringing is to basically go against the books and our interpretation of Nancy's history. We never get the full story from the books, so why should we get one from HeR? Who are they to bring up Nancy's mom and who she might be or might have been?

Obviously they can twist the story anyway they want, they have creativity and the means to do so. Does this mean they should? Should they challenge what the Nancy Drew character and who her "constant" supporting characters are? Would it be right to create a story based on something that might not have happened in the fictional land of Nancy Drew? Do we really want to discover the "truth" about her mother, even when Nancy has not meaningfully searched or attempted to do so herself within the books? Obviously this is a very fine line.

2. On the other hand, so many people want to know more about Nancy. In order for a story to continuously develop and grow, readers and us gamers need more information to understand and be able to relate to this character. We constantly want to see Bess, George, Ned, the Hardy Boys, etc, to fulfill our own fantasies of what we think they are like. We get judgmental and disappointed if our personal hopes and expectations do not live up to the reality of what HeR has produced.

Nancy has been around since the 1930's, don't we as fans deserve more information about her history by now? How did the death or disappearance of her mother impact her to become who she still is today? How will this information change her? Will it? Will Nancy still be the same? What if our expectations and hopes are challenged by the mystery surrounding her mother? And what if HeR attempts to answer these questions without basing anything on the books? How can we, as long time fans of Nancy Drew who have known almost zip about the mom, accept them even within our modern times?! Why challenge the creation of a fictional character's past and upbringing? How can it improve our understanding of Nancy Drew?

Of course, knowing more about Nancy's mom can give us a lot of insight, but can also easily fall into the realm of creative make believe. The question is though, do you want to know the history of Nancy's past and how it might have played a role in who she has become today? HeR has obviously become completely fine with challenging the plot of ND books, and has almost drastically changed the story and endings of many books they base their games on. Although this is a creative approach and can be appreciated, it may not sit well with those of us who have already accepted Nancy for who she is within the terms of fictional writing without any additives regarding past occurrences.

I personally have no idea how to react to this and what it might mean for the fictional character of ND. I'm eager to learn more, but-- if it wasn't in the books, if it wasn't and hasn't been fully addressed in recent books, why should it trouble Nancy so much? All the time I keep claiming that these games are based on the books, but recently I've noticed that HeR continuously uses their creative license to change and now possibly challenge our constant characters and their histories. I want to believe that they can give us insight, but why should they? What do they have to go on (besides what we can assume that this one is based on, aka The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes)? Updating Nancy Drew and her history can essentially give us a false understanding or modernize her to the point of not staying true to who she still remains today. Who is HeR to challenge this ficitonal character and her constants?

edited to add: oh man. I wrote an entire protest speech ^ apologies
                    Last edited by ~Snuggle Girl~; June 3, 2013, 03:17 AM. Reason: proof reading
                    If I could report Midnight in Salem for being chatty, I would.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Snuggle Girl~ View Post
                      I'm personally still thinking about it. On the one hand I would love to know more about Nancy and her family...

But, I feel like if it wasn't mentioned or fully addressed in the books it might exaggerate, invent, and falsify my interpretation of Nancy Drew as a fictional character.

Here's why:

1. We never really get past Nancy's River Heights family and friends in the books. All of these constant supporting characters retain the similar identities they have had since the beginning of Nancy Drew Mystery Stories. George is still "tomboyish," Bess still "girly" and into boys, Ned always supportive, Hannah always caring and a "like a mother," Carson successful and caring. They have been updated only within their interests to fit the trends of the decade they were written in, where even Nancy Drew drives a blue hybrid in the recent Girl Detective publications rather than the blue roadster of the 1930's. While their personalities generally remain the same, their personal interests vary from decade to decade to become more relatable to the current generation.

These changes to update the constant characters from the books are to make these books more relatable to readers in our time which is quite fine in my personal opinion. But, within that we have Nancy's mother, a character that we as readers never had any information about, she was not a "constant" character we got to know anything about. Someone who has almost always remained a distant and unknowable character in Nancy's life and was never fully revealed characteristically speaking or personality-wise. Although Nancy never knew much about her (as per the vague "she died when Nancy was three" description in the books), the reader always assumes that the mother was not an influence in Nancy's upbringing simply because this topic rarely warranted a full dialogue about. The books rarely gave us information regarding Nancy's mom, thus she remained a mystery. Of course we can assume that the death of the mom led and encouraged Nancy to become who she is/was, but it is not a certainty.

To go and question such an aspect in Nancy's life and upbringing is to basically go against the books and our interpretation of Nancy's history. We never get the full story from the books, so why should we get one from HeR? Who are they to bring up Nancy's mom and who she might be or might have been?

Obviously they can twist the story anyway they want, they have creativity and the means to do so. Does this mean they should? Should they challenge what the Nancy Drew character and who her "constant" supporting characters are? Would it be right to create a story based on something that might not have happened in the fictional land of Nancy Drew? Do we really want to discover the "truth" about her mother, even when Nancy has not meaningfully searched or attempted to do so herself within the books? Obviously this is a very fine line.

2. On the other hand, so many people want to know more about Nancy. In order for a story to continuously develop and grow, readers and us gamers need more information to understand and be able to relate to this character. We constantly want to see Bess, George, Ned, the Hardy Boys, etc, to fulfill our own fantasies of what we think they are like. We get judgmental and disappointed if our personal hopes and expectations do not live up to the reality of what HeR has produced.

Nancy has been around since the 1930's, don't we as fans deserve more information about her history by now? How did the death or disappearance of her mother impact her to become who she still is today? How will this information change her? Will it? Will Nancy still be the same? What if our expectations and hopes are challenged by the mystery surrounding her mother? And what if HeR attempts to answer these questions without basing anything on the books? How can we, as long time fans of Nancy Drew who have known almost zip about the mom, accept them even within our modern times?! Why challenge the creation of a fictional character's past and upbringing? How can it improve our understanding of Nancy Drew?

Of course, knowing more about Nancy's mom can give us a lot of insight, but can also easily fall into the realm of creative make believe. The question is though, do you want to know the history of Nancy's past and how it might have played a role in who she has become today? HeR has obviously become completely fine with challenging the plot of ND books, and has almost drastically changed the story and endings of many books they base their games on. Although this is a creative approach and can be appreciated, it may not sit well with those of us who have already accepted Nancy for who she is within the terms of fictional writing without any additives regarding past occurrences.

I personally have no idea how to react to this and what it might mean for the fictional character of ND. I'm eager to learn more, but-- if it wasn't in the books, if it wasn't and hasn't been fully addressed in recent books, why should it trouble Nancy so much? All the time I keep claiming that these games are based on the books, but recently I've noticed that HeR continuously uses their creative license to change and now possibly challenge our constant characters and their histories. I want to believe that they can give us insight, but why should they? What do they have to go on (besides what we can assume that this one is based on, aka The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes)? Updating Nancy Drew and her history can essentially give us a false understanding or modernize her to the point of not staying true to who she still remains today. Who is HeR to challenge this ficitonal character and her constants?
                      ALL excellent points Snuggle Girl! I feel like in the book series they never went into it because it wasn't really important. Nancy's Dad and Hannah and her friends were the big influences growing up in her life and impacted how she grew as a person. Her mom really had nothing to do with it, though I'm sure you could find college psychology essays written about how the lack of a mother figure impacted her development.

But, I digress. I would MUCH rather see HeR add some of the lesser known book characters like Helen Corning and her husband or Burt and Dave, Bess and George's boyfriends. To me, that holds a much greater appeal.

~Ari
                      Proud Member of the CRE Easter Egg Clue Crew!
                      Along with Royal Payne, disneygirl12, Ndfan1234, mdetective12, secretariat, highondrew and Vanilla Muffin!

~Ari

Comment

Wowza! Fabulous, thoughtful responses here!

There have been significant editorial changes in the ND world over the years, haven't there? I haven't liked all of them, but I do still love ND and her world, generally. Like some of you, I would love to see more background for Helen, Burt, Dave, Bess, George, Hannah, and Carson.

For some reason, I always felt that it was a plot convenience that Nancy's mom died when Nancy was young. I felt this was convenient for demonstrating that moms were not necessary and could be replaced by fathers, friends, and housekeepers. This is not exactly germaine to the discussion, but it leads to a small point.

In 2013, we have general knowledge of genetics and predispositions and environments.
                        There are ongoing discussions of nature v. nurture.

Could a Nancy's-mom-as-spy backstory contribute to our knowledge (or at least to our wonderment) about Nancy's detective prowess? How much nature and how much nurture contribute to Nancy's unmatched sleuthing skills?

Even if the backstory doesn't link directly or noticeably to what many of us know from the ND books, can it still be useful or instructive in other ways?
                        Last edited by Solver; May 20, 2013, 08:40 AM.
                        The world is divided into two nations:
                        those with teddy bears, those without.
                        Each thinks the other is odd.
                        Jenny De Vries.

(so... umm... how do we feel about ND and Mr. Woogle Wogle?)

Comment

Personally, I'm quiet intrigued with this plot (honestly, I jumped around the house after watching the trailer). But I can definitely see why some are concerned; nor do I want HeR to rewrite Nancy's life.

The thing is, all of are concerns sway on the thought that HeR is going to bring her mom back or create a whole new back story for her mom. This is based on general feelings about the trailer, but none of it actually has any evidence.

For one, we don't know that her mom will be alive. That recording could be from before the accident, and now someone has decided to show it to Nancy, for good or bad reasons. Saying the accident is a lie could mean the cause of it, not that it was a cover-up or anything. Personally, I'd like to find out more about the accident.

We also don't know that her mom really was a spy, at least not in the traditional sense. What if this was a one time deal? Furthermore, what if Nancy's mom was/is a spy? What would that really change for us? Personally, I've always wondered what her mom was like (as has Nancy), and I think it would be kind of cool to know Nancy came from two strong, smart and, shall we say, detective orientated parents.

I can't help but think there's quite a bit of ambiguity to the whole this as well. It has the potential to walk right down the middle, so we don't actually know whether or not she's still alive or was a spy. And HeR has been playing with multiple endings. (though I hope they don't use them to make it up to you whether or not Nancy has a mom, that just seems too big of an issue)

This is HeR's 29th game. I think they've learned how to walk the line to please the most fans. Will some be unhappy because they brought up Nancy's mom at all? Probably. But I doubt they would embark on a case like this unless they believed that could do it justice. Remember, they're fans too.

On a crazy over dedicated fan note, just imagine how Nancy must feel about this. She's finally going to know more about her mom. And, yeah, it make not be great, but she'll have to live with that. But if her mom's story is going to be told shouldn't it be great, like epic-proportions?

- Cou
                          always
                          - a cre ae

Comment

I don't get why people would be irritated that HeR brings up Nancy's Mother. The original Nancy Drew books are REALLY old and they hardly discussed Nancy's Mom at all. Why not address it now? How could HeR possibly change anything we know about Nancy's mom when we literally know NOTHING about Nancy's Mother. How can something be changed if it never really was there in the first place?

-S14
                            .................................................. ........................
                            The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                            .................................................. ....
                            .................................................. .................

Comment

~Snuggle Girl~ - My sentiments exactly.

For those wondering why we may be so strongly opposed to this idea of bringing in a story about Nancy's mom, for me the thing is this: She's been a mystery Nancy's whole life and I don't want to see ANY interpretations of who she is or was. Some things are better left alone. Let the mystery remain. Let Nancy's life have been influenced and shaped by the living loved ones. They did a fantastic job making her the wonderful person she is. Why potentially throw that credit away and throw someone we don't know into the picture? I don't care for that idea.

This, as we all know, is still speculation, though. We really DON'T know what's going to happen. But HeR sure gave us something to interpret!

I still hope that it's all a trick to get Nancy to solve a case. Honestly, when I saw the trailer I thought the woman speaking was Samantha Quick. In my opinion, she can be the real person involved. She and an accomplice needed Nancy's involvement for one reason or another, and the only way to draw her in was with this awful ruse. *Fingers crossed it goes something like that.*
                              ²..Rianna
                              .¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸…..¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ .If you can hear me now
                              (......°.¸_¸.'¸.•°......°.¸_¸.' ……I'm .r e a c h i n g out
                              .°•.,¸_¸,.•°…..²¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸……¸.•°¨¯¨°•.¸ To let you know that
                              ……………………'.¸_¸°……°•.¸ '.¸_¸°……) …… You're .not a l o n e
                              ©Rianna..…………………²….°•.,¸_¸,.•° Lullaby - Nickelback

Comment

Working...
                              X