Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ND32 the Last Game that Nancy is Voiced by Lani Minella?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
    I'm starting to think back to some posts I've made about Nancy's voice work, and I really hope that HeR didn't take comments like mine the wrong way:

My main point in all of these posts wasn't in any way trying to criticize Lani's work, believe me. My main point ties back to something that a lot of us fans have been wanting to return for a long time - Nancy's personality. As you can see in that first quote, I suspect that it isn't Lani's fault that Nancy doesn't sound quite as...bubbly as she did in the earlier games. I was thinking that the reason for this was more the result of what the writers or voice directors wanted. SAW was a game where a few significant changes happened; a) Nancy didn't seem quite as "bubbly" (like I said), and b) the option to choose what the player wants to say nearly vanished.

The latter was probably the result of a new approach to the writing in these games. As many of us know, the games haven't been quite the same in many ways, one of those ways being dialogue. Games 23 and up just haven't had the same writing styles as the earlier games did. THAT was my main concern in all of this. I think the writing and voice directing may have caused Nancy's personality that we know from the earlier games to dwindle a bit.
    :

Here is what Lani said on her twitter yesterday, if you read between the lines (or characters : ) it sounds like maybe she was being blamed:

"So kudos to good script writers, great animators and good story tellers. You should get top credits more than actors. Or blame if it applies

In all my years of acting, directing and reading scripts, it's made me not blame actors or credit them when it's the script that starts it"

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
      Here is what Lani said on her twitter yesterday, if you read between the lines (or characters : ) it sounds like maybe she was being blamed:

"So kudos to good script writers, great animators and good story tellers. You should get top credits more than actors. Or blame if it applies

In all my years of acting, directing and reading scripts, it's made me not blame actors or credit them when it's the script that starts it"
      If that's the case it's great that HeR "listened" to our complaints....except that I didn't see a single person say that the voice acting was the problem. The script is, and has been, the problem - and not just where Nancy's character is concerned!

The terrible thing too is that they have a new writer that is going to be in charge of writing game #33 (I assume she doesn't have much to do with #32, but correct me if I'm wrong). So she could make positive changes to the script and all could be fixed...but Lani's still given the boot.

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
      And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
      ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
      ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
      ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
      ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

I could be wrong, but my impression is that the new writer will primarily be responsible for the script of Sea of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy Drew View Post
          The terrible thing too is that they have a new writer that is going to be in charge of writing game #33 (I assume she doesn't have much to do with #32, but correct me if I'm wrong). So she could make positive changes to the script and all could be fixed...but Lani's still given the boot.
          The new writer did all of #32 and according to her twitter, it seems that she's already made some positive changes (changes that we've asked for) which I'm excited for. Unfortunately, my excitement only extends to #32.

Like all of you have said, Lani's voice acting wasn't the problem, it was the script. In Phoenix's interview with Lani, she said how she always needs to be directed how to sound for all of her roles. Lani is capable of sounding however she needs to sound, but she has to be directed how to sound. So I think the decline in Nancy's attitude and everything that everyone has been complaining about is all on the writer because THEY are the ones who write the script and direct the voice actors how to sound. I was excited for this new writer because I figured all of our problems would be solved, but now this happens and I just don't even know anymore.

--Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Tedbear2 View Post
            I could be wrong, but my impression is that the new writer will primarily be responsible for the script of Sea of Darkness.
            Ah. Well, that's exciting. Still premature to fire Lani when it could be totally evident that the script is the problem.

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
            And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
            ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
            ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
            ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
            ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

I agree with everyone's previous posts; I am completely saddened and quite frankly shocked by Lani's departure. To me, and to a lot of fans, she will always be the epitome of Nancy Drew and her voice will always be associated with the character.

With that said, I think it's only fair to give the new voice a fair shot. I'm sure they would be nervous stepping into a role held by a single actor for almost 2 decades. Therefore, I plan on reserving any judgment until actually hearing their voice.

My biggest fear in regard to this is that HER will try to bring in a "celebrity" to voice Nancy. Obviously, not someone wickedly famous but probably someone whose name is more recognizable than Lani's to bring in more people. If their goal is to reach more people and make more money, then I wouldn't be surprised if HER is trying to get more famous voice actors.

At the end of the day, I will miss Lani dearly as Nancy, but will be willing to see someone else step into the role.
              .....My name is..............¸*¨¯¨*¸
              .....Sherlock Holmes........*-*....)).it is my
              .¸*¨¯¨*¸.......and......((¯¨`.,¸_¸,.´...business
              ((....*-* ¸*¨¯¨*¸.......)...to know what other
              .`.,¸_¸,.*...........*-*...people don't know.”

Comment

I sent HER a very lengthy email, expressing how I felt about this situation, and this was their response if anyone is interested:

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns to us as it relates to Lani Minella. We read every email, post, tweet, etc. from our fans and take all of their feedback very seriously. Please know that we always have the best interests of our fans in mind.

As clearly illustrated in your email, we understand the emotional connection that our fans have with Lani Minella and the impact that this decision will have on our fans. This was a very difficult decision for us and many factors played into this decision. Unfortunately, many of those reasons I am unable to share with you at this time but may eventually come to light later down the road. It’s too early for us to announce the new voice of Nancy Drew and provide additional details regarding this decision but we hope to provide more insight and reveal the new voice of Nancy Drew shortly. We appreciate your patience during this time.

You may have read some similar message on social media but we need to have a consistent message so that all fans understand where we are at this moment. It's not about copy/paste but rather being consistent when addressing this issue. We mean it when we say that Lani Minella will always be a part of the Her Interactive family and we will continue to enjoy a tremendous working relationship with her. We hope to maintain this fantastic creative partnership for many years to come albeit in a different capacity than in the past.

A core value of Her Interactive is to always show transparency, and this situation is no different. Again, we will update all our fans as soon as we can. Thank you for supporting Her Interactive and Nancy Drew games.

Sincerely,
                Her Interactive
                --Derek

Comment

I received the very same response; it's what anyone who wrote to them will be receiving, I believe.

It doesn't change my feelings about the situation at all. They are telling us that they have the best interests of their fans in mind, but this replacing of Lani Minella certainly doesn't reflect that in any way - quite the reverse. Sorry, but I'm not buying into this.
                  Last edited by Tedbear2; November 18, 2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I received the very same response; it's what anyone who wrote to them will be receiving, I believe.
                    Interesting...

It doesn't change my feelings about the situation at all. They are telling us that they have the best interests of their fans in mind, but this replacing of Lani Minella certainly doesn't reflect that in any way - quite the reverse. Sorry, but I'm not buying into this.
                    I feel the same way. It just really bothers me that they haven't given us an explanation. I know that they said it's "too early" to give an explanation, but I feel like if they just helped us understand, there would be less chaos. The problem is that nobody understands why this decision was made and they won't give us the info we deserve. I'm still unbelievably angry about this and to be honest, not much that they say will change that. I will never be okay with this decision.

--Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Miley133 View Post

I'm still unbelievably angry about this and to be honest, not much that they say will change that. I will never be okay with this decision.

--Derek
                      My feelings exactly. I'm also unbelievably angry about this decision because it's just so wrong, and on more than one level.
                      Last edited by Tedbear2; November 18, 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

NOOOOO

This can't happen! I'm crying! I really hope that HER changes their minds! This is a really bad decision:(

Comment

I'm shocked...it won't be the same without her...it'll feel like a new game series. It feels like my childhood is really ending. I wish they would have given us some warning, or a more official goodbye, rather than Lani tweeting it out. Can she at least say some lines in every game still, or something, just so we don't have to say goodbye forever? Idk Nancy Drew games have been something I could count on for so long to stay the same even when everything else changes, and with Lanis voice gone it feels like that safety is gone? 😭😭 Bring back Lani, Her! I really think they're underestimating the emotional attachment fans have to her voice. This really is a loss and I'm so sad about it 😭

I mean and aside from just my emotions about it, from a business standpoint, they were really lucky to have such a talented and widely known voice actress voicing Nancy...I doubt they'll find anyone as good.

Comment

I muled over this for a couple of days.. and it's just now sinking in..

...It's scary..

These games won't ever be the same.
                            The only thing I am now, other than upset, is just curious of to what happens next...

But we did get 32 great enjoyable games... I am lucky to have 32 games that I actually enjoy since Nancy Drew is the only game I like.

Comment

Exactly! They do not have the fans best interest in mind. Umm.no! None of us want this. Out of all these posts on all these threads, has one person said "Yeah! Let's change the voice of Nancy Drew! That would be great!" NO! They haven't. It just makes me more mad when HeR sends out responses like that cause it's pretty much just saying "Blah Blah Blah...Sincerely HeRinteractive"

Sorry HeR but, your gonna lose a lot of fans.
                              Hollywood Nights... .. -:|:-
                              .. -:|:- ..............,•*¨¯¨*•, ...... -:|:-
                              ......,•*¨¯¨*•, .....',¸¸,• .....`•. ................•´¯)
                              .....( ... •,¸¸,'.. -:|:- . ..........`×.,¸__¸,.×´ ..•´
                              ......`•. ...................,•*¨¯¨*•, ...........•´
                              ..........`•. ....`•. ....',¸¸,• ....). -:|:- ( ..............,•*¨¯¨*•,
                              .. -:|:- .....`•. . `•. `×.,¸__¸,.×´ .........`×.,¸__¸,.×´ ... •,¸¸,'
                              ..................`•.¸_) .....................................-:|:-

©L.bulldog + Tigerpaw

Comment

I really wanna know WHEN they're going to give us their "big announcement" and announce the new voice of Nancy. They said they didn't want to overshadow Lani's chance to say goodbye, but the outrage has really died down now and still no word from them. I'm starting to think they don't really have an announcement and just said that to placate us.

Comment

Working...
                                X