Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ND32 the Last Game that Nancy is Voiced by Lani Minella?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Royal Payne View Post
    Oh, and guys? Did you see this post on the petition thread?
    Originally posted by laniminella View Post
    I just want you to know I am still acting, directing etc and nothing is preventing me from work. It was an exec decision to try something new with a different Nancy Voice and making game improvements as well. Thanks so much for all your support. It means the world to me and I will miss you all a lot. And no it had nothing to do with money either. LOL
    An "exec decision?" Why did I know that this new CEO had something to do with this...

--Derek

Comment

Thanks for that quote, Royal Payne. I stopped monitoring the petition thread after I signed it.

Somehow, it's even more concerning to me that money is in no way involved. It means that this really is an abrupt change in how these games are going to be.

I'm not surprised that Lani's still working. She's a very talented voice actress and it really is HeR's loss.

Just struggling to keep an open mind here....

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
      And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
      ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
      ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
      ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
      ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

Derek: My reaction as well.

Poppy Drew: You're welcome. :D I almost missed it too. I scan it every once in a while just to see if anyone has anything new to say over there, and happened to see it. Anyways...
        Yes, that's exactly how I felt too. It wasn't money, it was really just a new direction... I now have an even worse feeling about where this is going. At least I can look forward to SEA. That's the one positive thing I can look forward to. Everything after that is uncharted waters. (Pardon the pun. )
        Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

If the decision to replace Lani involves the new CEO, then it is very disheartening to consider how little she must understand about what Nancy Drew players want and care about.

Comment

I agree completely with Poppy Drew this is so annoying what HeR has done. In my opinion what is even more frustrating is how the new games have been, I have been upset and sad about this for quite some time. There is little to NO sleuthing, the games go by so quick and leave little memories, and the conversations and plot of most of the new games are so uninteresting. I would rather them focus on building a good story with more spookiness and more details than the new and "exiciting" places nancy travels to. In my view, they haven't listened to us loyal and true fans in quite some time so why would they change their mind on letting Lani stay..sadly I feel like they are focused on younger, new players now.

Comment

If it has nothing to do with money then literally what in the world is going on? I don't think I have ever been so LIVID with this company before. Usually companies try to keep their fans happy but I mean I guess that's no longer HER's priority. Do they not realize that if customers are not happy, they will not purchase future games? Like ????

But I guess as long as this gets them a "larger audience" then it's okay, right...?

I feel ignored and betrayed, like I don't think this new CEO cares AT ALL and this is not okay.

--Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Miley133 View Post

If it has nothing to do with money then literally what in the world is going on? I don't think I have ever been so LIVID with this company before. Usually companies try to keep their fans happy but I mean I guess that's no longer HER's priority. Do they not realize that if customers are not happy, they will not purchase future games? Like ????

But I guess as long as this gets them a "larger audience" then it's okay, right...?

I feel ignored and betrayed, like I don't think this new CEO cares AT ALL and this is not okay.

--Derek
                Hear hear!

I am more upset over the circumstances of Lani's departure than the actual event itself. It seems very disrespectful. And the fact that HER has waited this long to even publicly acknowledge their actions just leads me to believe that it's because they don't want to tell us because it's a poor reason. I'm not overly surprised to see them act this way; it's been clear for several years that they don't listen to our core feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by sasha&selena View Post
                  Huh. This is somewhat surprising news (I'm a bit late, but oh well). To be truthful, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this...

Honestly? Maybe it's not such a big deal. Now, before I'm attacked with hurt and angry replies, let me explain: We ALL knew this day was coming, maybe not so soon, but we knew that, eventually, Lani would, in some capacity or another, step down from her magnificent role as Nancy Drew. It's inevitable. HeR is trying something new and they took a HUGE risk by doing so, but maybe it's for the better, maybe they deserve props for having the guts to do so instead of being the recipient of angry rants. Now that's not to say that good points are not being brought up by these posts, because some do, but HeR took a risk, something everyone has to do at some point.

I took a long time to think about this before I posted anything, and most likely my post will be lost among the sea of angry and hurt posts, but that's okay. Someone needs to have an optimistic view on this situation, and it might as well be me.

I think that the important thing is that HeR has no intention of ceasing to make the Nancy Drew Adventure games as they are. An Administrator even posted on this very thread confirming that, though I think many people simply glazed over that. The discussion that HeR will move to Hardy Boys Games only is null, along with the discussion that Nancy Drew games will turn into the (despicable) Hidden Object games. This is not going to happen.

But I digress. The point here is that a new voice for Nancy does not mean Nancy is dead. Bess, George, Ned, Frank, Joe, they've all had voice actor changes. Granted, they are not major influences like Nancy, but an important example can be taken from this: Even though the voice changed, the essence, personality, attitude, etc. all stayed as it should. The new voice didn't change who they were; just as how a new voice will not change who Nancy is.

I know 97% of Nancy Drew Fans nearly had a heart attack when the news came out, but I think the news could have been a lot worse. We still have Nancy Drew, and if LIE was any indication, the games are headed back in the right direction. So maybe this is a good thing, maybe we just can't see it yet. ND33 is a year away, and a lot can change in a year, so maybe, for now, all we can do is sit and wait; and when ND33 comes out, we go into it open-minded, with the same gusto as we do every time. We can't let something like this ruin what has made many of us who we are today. Maybe I'm getting overly philosophical sounding, but I really think that this isn't the end of the Nancy Drew World. It's kind of sad to see how so many long-time fans have turned quite violently on HeR. A lot of assumptions are being made right now, and I don't think it's quite yet the time to rely on our assumptions as fact. For all we know, there could be a very good reason Lani was asked to leave, and she may have even done it under her own power. We really know nothing factual about the situation.

I'm not at all saying that Lani's leaving doesn't bother me, because it does, but I'm going to wait until I have a more complete, more reliable understanding of the situation before I draw my line in the dirt.

If anyone actually took the time to read this, I hope my post made you change your outlook on the situation at least a little bit. And if my post shows up on the radar of anyone at HeR, I hope they take a minute to read it, as lengthy as it is, so they know that a long-time fan (since 2006, I was 7 when I played my first ND game) supports their decision, whatever the motive. If other fans don't agree (and most don't), that's fine--but keep an open mind, okay? Everything will work itself out in due time. I hope.
                  I was actually going to say something very similar.

Comment

This may seem like a really absurd idea but what if the future games are going to be voiced by us fans because the answer from the previous weekend puzzle was "fan voice in 33". In each game a different ND fan would be invited to voice Nancy in a way that truly renders the fans a big part of Nancy's identity.
                    Or on the more realistic side, the fan voice in 33 may just be the voice of a minor character.
                    Anyway, just wanted to share a theory... :)
                    As the great Robert Frost once said,

"In three words, I can sum up everything I learned about life..."
                    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

......................SONNY WUZ HERE!......................

Comment

• Originally posted by Heights9Fan View Post
                      This may seem like a really absurd idea but what if the future games are going to be voiced by us fans because the answer from the previous weekend puzzle was "fan voice in 33". In each game a different ND fan would be invited to voice Nancy in a way that truly renders the fans a big part of Nancy's identity.
                      Or on the more realistic side, the fan voice in 33 may just be the voice of a minor character.
                      Anyway, just wanted to share a theory... :)
                      Interesting idea, but no. On the cookie contest page, the first place prize is to have your voice in a minor role in ND33 which would be really really cool!!! But I'm not good enough at decorating cookies :P
                      To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
                      Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
                        On the cookie contest page, the first place prize is to have your voice in a minor role in ND33 which would be really really cool!!! But I'm not good enough at decorating cookies :P
                        Ikr. I was going to enter since I make a billion cookies around this time of year anyways, but then I saw the other entries and I was like: Yeah, I can't compete with that. Especially that Haunted Carousel cookie

Comment

• Originally posted by nancy'stwin View Post
                          Yeah, I can't compete with that. Especially that Haunted Carousel cookie
                          I know, that one is amazing! I saw that one and then decided I might not enter lol. That would be fun to get the minor voice in the new game though.

Comment

• I agree that Lani Minella is Nancy Drew. Fans have been through so much with her (voice). It is a great loss to the company. Lani also voiced character in Skyrim. I remember how excited I was. Nancy Drew in Skyrim! lol She did a voice in my both of my favorite games. I understand if she wants to retire or pursue other projects. What Her should do is have a contest to find a new Nancy Drew voice, possibly even picked by the fans. Or do a reboot of the franchise or prequel. Those are the only ways I see it working. So many fans are going to be disappointed. When people have asked me 'who' my favorite Nancy Drew was, I would say the one from the games. Then Pamela Sue Martin as a close second. With so many hours of game play, fans have become attached to hearing her voice from the famous "It's Locked." to hearing her talk as Lou Lou the parrot from Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I also understand Her wanting to go in a new direction, most game companies do that after a while. I get they want new fans and more money, but about the fans who have been faithful from the start? Plus who is to say people will like the new changes? I will still try out the game, because it is Nancy Drew, but if they change more than just her voice, like her personality, I don't think I could continue to play the series. I just hope the company just realizes what it is doing. When something is perfected, it need not change.

Comment

• omg, christmas is ruined now.

(And so was Thanksgiving, btw, I'm late).

Honestly don't think the company is moving in the right direction anymore... and so, um, I'm out for now. Keep it real, new & old fans. :)
                              If I could report Midnight in Salem for being chatty, I would.

Comment

• I can't believe this is happening. In my opinion, no one can replace her. Hopefully they'll find someone just as hood as her.
                                Oh, I would never do such a thing, but it would be funny. Not funny ha ha, but funny as in Ahhh help, I'm in a well.
                                -Harper Thornton, GTH

Comment

Working...
                                X