Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hedgie
    replied
    Hello all, moderator stepping in to remind everyone that you may freely discuss HER's January letter. However, you may not discuss a member's account anywhere on these boards. Even if that member posts information outside of the HER boards, please do not discuss that member's account or her status anywhere. Please make sure to abide by this rule so that the thread will not be closed. I've had to delete a few posts that openly discussed a member and their account. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Mysty
    replied
    Lani

Originally posted by SleuthinItOut
    Soo Lani posted this on her twitter...
    "Banned from Her Int message boards You're contacted 2 wks ago & given the opportunity 2 change username. Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

So they banned her?? They are making me beyond mad, I feel like I shouldn't even support their company anymore if this is how Lani is being treated.

Hi SleuthinItOut - We did not ban Lani Minella from the Message Boards. But we did temporarily freeze her account until she changes her user name. Which she has now completed and is back on the boards. You will note that we immediately replied to Lani's tweet about why we have this rule in place and she now understands. This rule is in place for COPPA compliance. This is for the protection of all members who are on the Message Boards. COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) imposes certain requirements on operators of websites or online services that may have children under 13 years of age on their site. There is no ill intent here. We are honored to have her on the Message Boards. Hope that clears up the situation. Thanks! Stay sleuthy!

Leave a comment:

• CCRyder
    replied
    Originally posted by Goosey View Post
    It's not like they need to tell us the ins and outs of every detail, or even provide much of an explanation at all. I'm not sure if they really owe us that much information, but common courtesy and public relations 101 dictates that a simple, sincere acknowledgement that they have done several things now that will deeply affect their fans, most of whom have been around since the beginning or shortly thereafter, would really be in order. And not months after the fact. And not a generic reply that says nothing that we don't already know. And please, for the love of Nancy, don't call what we've been saying here "heartwarming". That clearly shows that the letter was more for business relations, and not for us.
    In my short time back on the boards, I've seen more unhappy members than happy, granted, their whole customer base is not on the boards, but "heartwarming" makes me wonder where they are getting all the positive feedback from??? As a company they can't bow down to every complaint but when it's a huge group, they definitely would have been better, from an advertising and PR standpoint to at least acknowledge something.

All that went through my head was "That was it? That's nothing new, that's not even giving a tempting clue for us to work on and work through in a positive way"

Definitely not the best ever PR newsletter. Up until now I've been willing to wait it out and see where it goes, I still am, but this statement certainly didn't fuel up any positive reaction from me.

What about a playful clue or hint? An acknowledgment that it's been a tough struggle and change for many? They had a chance, a chance to acknowledge, a chance to repair confusion... they really need a better diplomatic PR writer that isn't afraid to bring up negativity and without giving too much away, be able to give us a bit of understanding and back story....it's business writing 101.

Leave a comment:

• SleuthinItOut
    replied
    Originally posted by Miley133 View Post

Your words mean absolutely nothing to us anymore. If you want us to believe you actually care about your long time fans, then SHOW us, because for the longest time, we've been sending in our feedback about critical things that we felt needed to be improved in the games and you haven't listened AT ALL. You can write however many bogus letters to us you want & retweet tweets of fans praising the games all you want to try and make it look like you actually care but until you actually start SHOWING us that you honestly take our feedback seriously, fans will continue to turn their backs on you.

--Derek

Agreed,we have been doing everything we can to tell them specifically what we miss about the older games and I truely believed when they sent me back an email saying they understood my concerns and will try to fix some aspects of the game they meant it. Unfortunately I do not believe that anymore. I will greatly miss Lani and believe it is a bad mistake on HER's fault, but there is still many problems with the actual gameplay that have been going on far longer than the departure of Lani was annouced. To me that seems like the reason I am halfway out the door with these games, the lack of mystery and fun in the newer games have made me really annoyed and sad. Like most of you have said, they care way more about marketing and racking up $ than they do about what we say and the games they put out.

Leave a comment:

• daretoPLAY x0
    replied
    To play devils advocate regarding HER's twitter activity recently. They aren't specifically going through their various tweets and randomly retweeting ones holding them in high praise. They tweeted a few days ago (Jan. 9) giving a shout out to their fans who are over the age of 20. People responded, hence the retweets. So it's not them going through the pile and just picking out the praise amongst the negative, they're retweeting relevant tweets in accordance to their shout out.

Rant ended
    Continue on...
    Jaxers

Leave a comment:

• Maple Latte
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy Drew View Post
    I really hope they don't hire a Disney star. Not that I would doubt the talent, but I think it would open the door to bring the game content to a silly, immature level. I guess, though, that would just be leaving the game content much the way it is - with all the relationship back-and-forth, the odd conversations, and silly drama, it could very well be a Disney show. I'm looking hard at MED for that one.

Either way, I don't think it would be helpful. Yeah, you may buy the game because your favorite star has a voice in it, or maybe marketing convinces you to. But I don't think it will hook players. Because at the end of the day, you have to like Nancy Drew in order to enjoy these games. I feel like hiring someone famous will isolate those who really, and truly, like Nancy and it won't keep the attention of any new players.

There are a lot of things I miss about these games, but I really think all the problems come out at the same place: we miss Nancy. The Nancy that is a detective, that is smart and classic, that has good friends, a great boyfriend, always gets into trouble, isn't afraid to snoop, etc....that Nancy.

Admittedly, I don't know the best "happy medium" when it comes to obtaining new fans and keeping the old ones. I just think that perhaps kids don't read all that much anymore, or at least not Nancy Drew, so less people are familiar with the books from a young age and then there are less people to get into the games. I do see what HeR is trying to do from that standpoint. I just wish they weren't so eager to isolate their long-time fans. I do think it would be helpful to do more marketing in the gaming world, as I think a lot of people would pick up Nancy being that she's a "classic" character and those are pretty big - but you'd have to keep her classic, and not make her a gimmick.

Ah, well. I guess we'll see.
    I agree with everything you say Poppy. I looked up Lani Minella online and I saw a video from a news station they were reporting how many voices she did ***outside web link removed***

Seriously no Disney Chanel tween queen can use their voices as good as those who voice games. Sure they can get voice coaches to work with them for an accent (Italian, British, American, southern, Swedish, German, ect ...) but they're not going to nail the accent because that's not what they do! I'm sure anyone can put their mind to it and change their vocal range, but it takes years and years and years of practice and those people who work as voices for games do so because they're skilled in it and it's their job! An actor/actress can if their a reputable one, but these people are child/tween/teen stars: they don't have all their acting chops nailed down nor are they Academy Award-winner worthy. Does that make them bad? No, they have to perfect at it, but that's if they know so and if they want to reach that high plateau.

Anyhow, it's not their job and their not skilled in it like the people like Lani are. It would be a recipe for disasterville if that does happen.
    Last edited by hedgie; January 18, 2015, 07:08 AM. Reason: Mod's Note: Outside web links are never allowed on the boards.

Leave a comment:

• phoenix star
    replied
    I'm sensing a bit of hostility here

Maybe instead of posting memes every day, HeR should make explicit updates on the progress of their games every few weeks or once a month. That's what really gets people interested. Anything other than shoving the game's entire promotion (starting with knowing nothing about it) into the two months before its release.

Leave a comment:

• Ndfan1234
    replied
    Originally posted by AutumnMemories View Post

Just wanna say that you guys know Mysty is Little Jackalope, right? So she's actually part of marketing/not one of the higher up people
    I didn't actually realize that, but either way, my point is that the company as a whole doesn't actually listen to us. I do believe that LJ knows what's happening, as she is one of the marketers, and I always enjoy her blogs because you can tell she enjoys ND and her job. I have nothing against her or Mysty specifically, no matter if they're the same person or not. I just wish they weren't forced to give us these responses that mean nothing. I feel like that's how it is. LJ can see our hatred of this change, but she can't obviously do anything except posting whatever the execs are letting her. LJ and probably a few others who have been there for the long run wouldn't stand for this. I feel like it's those that have just entered into power with no previous knowledge of the games or the fan base.

Leave a comment:

• Miley133
    replied
    Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
    A phrase I heard recently seems to fit right into this... Rules with Respect bring Response, while Rules without Respect bring Rebellion. If you switch the word "Rules" with "Changes" then it fits right in with what they are doing. Let me explain more. If HeR had made some of these changes with respect to both their fans and Lani, then we would be much more understanding and responsive than we are right now. But since they treated us with such disrespect, we are all rebelling. We wouldn't even have had any idea about Lani getting fired if Lani hadn't been allowed to tweet about it. They never would have released this letter if we hadn't been nagging about it since we heard the news. I'm sure they would have liked to keep a cap on this until #33 and then ignore the backlash, instead of right now, but they couldn't so they're dealing with it now. I mean c'mon. I used to respect HeR so much because they actually listened to the fans! I felt like they gave us a lot of what we wanted and I'm always the first one to defend a game that the majority of people didn't like such as RAN or MED. But I'm done now. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. If they've decided to go off on their own and ignore the respect we all used to have for them, then I'm not giving them any respect back.

EDIT:

And no, you don't. What a joke! The new CEO and execs are exactly like Goosey is saying. They're obviously not tuned in. The writers and marketers may know what's happening, but the higher up people sure don't! Give us words that are worth something.
    Same. It all seems to point back to this CEO. Can't we get Megan Gaiser and that other guy back?
    THANK YOU!! You took the words right out of my mouth!!

Originally posted by Mysty View Post
    Hi Tedbear2 - From all of us at Her Interactive, we want you to know that we DO care what our long-time Nancy Drew fans think. We constantly review every email, tweet, post and message board thread on anything and everything related to our games from our fans. Be it positive or negative...we listen to what you have to say. We always appreciate your feedback and always will. Thank you for providing us with your invaluable feedback.
    Your words mean absolutely nothing to us anymore. If you want us to believe you actually care about your long time fans, then SHOW us, because for the longest time, we've been sending in our feedback about critical things that we felt needed to be improved in the games and you haven't listened AT ALL. You can write however many bogus letters to us you want & retweet tweets of fans praising the games all you want to try and make it look like you actually care but until you actually start SHOWING us that you honestly take our feedback seriously, fans will continue to turn their backs on you.

--Derek

Leave a comment:

• AutumnMemories
    replied
    Originally posted by MistyChocolate View Post
    It's word of mouth that Her should invest in, not gimmicks.
    THIS. Word of mouth is how all indie games get popular as far as I know. If a game is really great people are far more likely to tell others about it. If a game stinks, marketing might help it to some degree, but it's probably not going to get hugely popular just from marketing alone. Word of mouth is how the early Nancy Drew games got popular. They were great games that caught on largely BECAUSE they were great; if their first game was a stinker like, say, MED, I don't think the series would have ever taken off, no matter how much marketing they did. Sadly, it seems to me that Her is currently putting marketing as their highest priority, and it seems that not much effort is put towards making a really exceptional game. Her should focus on making really great games, and then word of mouth would do the marketing for them--if they keep making bad games I just don't think their audience is going to expand like they want it to.

Her is constantly active on social media promoting their games, but they rarely even talk about the upcoming game SEA or give us any concrete reason to be excited about it. It's just all "memes", contests, stuff like that...but nothing about the actual content of their games. To me that shows how they put marketing ahead of actually making good games.

And no, you don't. What a joke! The new CEO and execs are exactly like Goosey is saying. They're obviously not tuned in. The writers and marketers may know what's happening, but the higher up people sure don't! Give us words that are worth something.
    Just wanna say that you guys know Mysty is Little Jackalope, right? So she's actually part of marketing/not one of the higher up people

Leave a comment:

• ChicaMisteriosa
    replied
    If they choose someone from Disney, I imagine it would be along the lines of someone who played a princess at one of the parks or someone who plays a recurring character on a new show, rather than a star from a Disney Channel show. This is weird, but Lani actually lent her voice to a Disney World attraction in the past. Two Disney stars voiced the Hardy boys in a game from another company a few years back and it TANKED! I hope HeR is smart enough to realize that famous voice actors don't mean big profit. It's such a huge risk that would probably destroy them if they failed. I can't see a point and click game suddenly becoming enormously popular. Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson, among others) voiced a few video games that weren't related to any of her TV projects and none of them became best sellers. Famous voice actor doesn't equal an increase in sales.

Leave a comment:

• phoenix star
    replied
    It's not going to be a Disney star or someone famous. HeR doesn't have that kind of budget and I don't see why they would want to do that anyway. Even these new people who are making the decisions now know that that's just not what the Nancy Drew series is about.

Leave a comment:

• Royal Payne
    replied
    Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
    But if they bring in a celebrity, like Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato as Nancy Drew, it could get big exposure. The thing is Lani is a great voice actress, also she is a pro with a good reputation. Why would they get rid of her just to get someone that sounds like her. The new CEO is ex-Disney, and I can only think that they want to get a celebrity. The disney channel has tons of ex-child stars that are broke and cant find work but still have a big name
    Oh no. No, no, no, no! If they end up doing this, that's it for me. I'll just try to focus on the good times by replaying the 32 games that Lani voiced.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy Drew
    replied
    I really hope they don't hire a Disney star. Not that I would doubt the talent, but I think it would open the door to bring the game content to a silly, immature level. I guess, though, that would just be leaving the game content much the way it is - with all the relationship back-and-forth, the odd conversations, and silly drama, it could very well be a Disney show. I'm looking hard at MED for that one.

Either way, I don't think it would be helpful. Yeah, you may buy the game because your favorite star has a voice in it, or maybe marketing convinces you to. But I don't think it will hook players. Because at the end of the day, you have to like Nancy Drew in order to enjoy these games. I feel like hiring someone famous will isolate those who really, and truly, like Nancy and it won't keep the attention of any new players.

There are a lot of things I miss about these games, but I really think all the problems come out at the same place: we miss Nancy. The Nancy that is a detective, that is smart and classic, that has good friends, a great boyfriend, always gets into trouble, isn't afraid to snoop, etc....that Nancy.

Admittedly, I don't know the best "happy medium" when it comes to obtaining new fans and keeping the old ones. I just think that perhaps kids don't read all that much anymore, or at least not Nancy Drew, so less people are familiar with the books from a young age and then there are less people to get into the games. I do see what HeR is trying to do from that standpoint. I just wish they weren't so eager to isolate their long-time fans. I do think it would be helpful to do more marketing in the gaming world, as I think a lot of people would pick up Nancy being that she's a "classic" character and those are pretty big - but you'd have to keep her classic, and not make her a gimmick.

Ah, well. I guess we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• cutemartha6
    replied
    I hate to say it but I do agree that they might replace Lani with some Disney star. Ugh. I personally have absolutely no idea what I'll be doing with the games after SEA but I'm starting to think I'm just going to stop buying. For A few years already, the games have been nothing but gimmicky adventure games and firing Lani for no apparent reason is the last straw. We've been begging HeR for years to put the old magic back in to the games and since ASH it doesn't look like they've been trying at all. HeR can say all they want that they "care" but as others here have said: actions speak louder than words and they're going to have to start showing that they care pretty soon or they've lost me as a fan. If HeR thinks casting some Disney star to voice Nancy is going to help them widen their fan base boy are they wrong. It might be enough for someone to buy one game and then forget about it but it won't get long time loyal fans like the old games did and I doubt it will get them any fans at all. HeR is losing a lot of the stability of its loyal fan base because of the decision to fire Lani and it's really upsetting that HeR is willing to ignore all of its long time fans because of some imaginary fan base they think they'll get when they go off in this "new direction" whatever it may be. There's still a part of me that hopes that the games will still get better but from what we've all been seeing from HeR lately, I highly doubt it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X