Bad games = No community?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad games = No community?

Hey everyone, today I wanted to talk about the future of the games and how that affects the boards. As you can see, the boards have been getting pretty slow lately. I think it is mostly because the games are, well, bad. I think people are leaving because Nancy Drew used to be exciting and fun! Now, with the games being bad it isn't as exciting. Probably the most exciting thing is that we can hope the new games are better and when they disappoint people start to get out of the loop, they start to phase out and not really care anymore.

I'm worried about the future of the boards. Right now there are about 785 active members on the boards and there are 98,644 inactive accounts! Now obviously people are going to leave the boards, either grow away from ND or just don't really care anymore.
    And don't get me wrong, I love having a small community so everyone can kind of know everyone but when I first joined there was probably around 1,500 to 2,000 active members and I could tell from the start that they were close knit and fun community.

What I'm worried about is how the future of the games can lead to thousands of active members or only tens of active members.
    I have decided that until I have a really good reason to leave the boards I'm staying on. Even if I decide to not play the games anymore but just to be apart of this community. We have built an awesome, friendly community and I don't want to leave it behind.

What I want to know is, what are your thoughts? If you decide to stop playing ND will you stop coming on the boards or will you continue?

Anyway, sorry if this was really rambly and confusing!
    - Trey
    all of Jesus none of me.

I agree a lot with this. I remember when I used to roam the boards (back when they were teal) and there were so many [active] members back then! Since then the boards have become...less active. Even when I joined in 2012, I remember there being more activity than there is going on now.

I agree it has to do with the newer games. They're not bad per se, but they're definitely different from the older games in that they've become less gamer-oriented. We can't choose how Nancy responds anymore; the plots tend to get set aside in favor of out-of-place puzzles; characters haven't been as memorable; the new interface; I could go on and on. I think a number of fans feel the games are too different from what they used to be that they just don't have the heart to keep playing them and/or go on the boards.

And of course, Lani leaving after game 32 isn't going to help. By that point, the games will be REALLY different, and I know some members are considering to stop purchasing games afterwards. That's going to have a huge impact here, I'm sure. And you know, the boards themselves might be a reason older members aren't coming back. The color change. When the boards turned white, I was so upset. I didn't think I'd be attending them anymore because they were just so different. Of course, I got used to them, but boy, it wasn't an easy transition.

So as of now, like you, I'm going to stay here on the boards unless something REALLY drastic happens. ND's been a part of my life too long for me to leave the forums, though I fear more and more members are going to be leaving since the games have evolved so much, and not for the better in many cases. All we can do is hope that HeR somehow manages to bring some of the classic ND-feel to the newer games, though at this point, that's not looking particularly great. A lot of people seemed to like LIE, though, and there was a rumor that one of the upcoming games will feature the return of choosing the dialogue again, so hey, maybe there's some hope. This is the start of a new 10-game thingy (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, now we're at 31+), and there always seems to be some kind of big evolution for every 10 game grouping. Maybe they'll slowly evolve back into what they once were, though that depends on if HeR truly listens to their fans and cares about what they have to say. I used to think they did care, but nowadays I'm not so sure.

*Edit: I used the word "though" a lot in that last paragraph.
    Last edited by disneygirl12; February 22, 2015, 08:32 AM.
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

I agree with Veronica... When I joined in 2012, there was a lot more activity than there is now, but I think with the transition of Lani, it actually brought a lot of people back on here for the discussions, and even though it was unfortunate what we were discussing, it was still nice to be involved in discussions again.

I really don't know as of now. I'd like to stay on the boards even if I do stop playing the games (though I'll have to wait and see of course) but I also know that if I stop the games, I can't hang around here forever, you know? I can move on in life if I really have to. But it will be sad to say farewell to everybody on here that I've become friends with. I just don't know if or when that is ever going to happen... So I'll just have to wait and see. (At least a majority of people on here appear to be Christians. Maybe we can all have an ND party in heaven )
      To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
      Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
        I agree a lot with this. I remember when I used to roam the boards (back when they were teal) and there were so many [active] members back then! Since then the boards have become...less active. Even when I joined in 2012, I remember there being more activity than there is going on now.

I agree it has to do with the newer games. They're not bad per se, but they're definitely different from the older games in that they've become less gamer-oriented. We can't choose how Nancy responds anymore; the plots tend to get set aside in favor of out-of-place puzzles; characters haven't been as memorable; the new interface; I could go on and on. I think a number of fans feel the games are too different from what they used to be that they just don't have the heart to keep playing them and/or go on the boards. I completely agree with you!

And of course, Lani leaving after game 32 isn't going to help. By that point, the games will be REALLY different, and I know some members are considering to stop purchasing games afterwards. That's going to have a huge impact here, I'm sure. And you know, the boards themselves might be a reason older members aren't coming back. The color change. When the boards turned white, I was so upset. I didn't think I'd be attending them anymore because they were just so different. Of course, I got used to them, but boy, it wasn't an easy transition. Yeah for me too, and the most upsetting thing was that I had all of my posts in white so now 70% of my posts you can't even read now!

So as of now, like you, I'm going to stay here on the boards unless something REALLY drastic happens. ND's been a part of my life too long for me to leave the forums, though I fear more and more members are going to be leaving since the games have evolved so much, and not for the better in many cases. Yeah, I've been playing ND for YEARS I don't just want to give up that on a community I've been apart of for years so easily. All we can do is hope that HeR somehow manages to bring some of the classic ND-feel to the newer games, though at this point, that's not looking particularly great. A lot of people seemed to like LIE, though, and there was a rumor that one of the upcoming games will feature the return of choosing the dialogue again, so hey, maybe there's some hope. Yeah, there's hope. And maybe they are trying to listen to us because they gave us that survey to fill out. Lets just hope they don't mold the games into something that is really bad. This is the start of a new 10-game thingy (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, now we're at 31+), and there always seems to be some kind of big evolution for every 10 game grouping. Maybe they'll slowly evolve back into what they once were, though that depends on if HeR truly listens to their fans and cares about what they have to say. I used to think they did care, but nowadays I'm not so sure. Yeah, I hope they are trying to get back on track but with the whole Lani thing...

*Edit: I used the word "though" a lot in that last paragraph.

Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
        I agree with Veronica... When I joined in 2012, there was a lot more activity than there is now, but I think with the transition of Lani, it actually brought a lot of people back on here for the discussions, and even though it was unfortunate what we were discussing, it was still nice to be involved in discussions again. Yeah, it was a good but bad thing..

I really don't know as of now. I'd like to stay on the boards even if I do stop playing the games (though I'll have to wait and see of course) but I also know that if I stop the games, I can't hang around here forever, you know? Yeah especially because you wouldn't know half of what everyone is talking about! I can move on in life if I really have to. But it will be sad to say farewell to everybody on here that I've become friends with. I agree. Also it would be a lot easier if it is our choice to leave and not HeR closing the boards due to monetary reasons. I'll stay on as long as I can but we all have to let go sometime... I just don't know if or when that is ever going to happen... So I'll just have to wait and see. (At least a majority of people on here appear to be Christians. Maybe we can all have an ND party in heaven )
        That was a little depressing! Haha, anyway, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. And when/if I do I'll definitely leave a notice!

Something I think would help the games and the boards is for HeR to give us the option for the game. Maybe make a thread and list a few ideas and have us vote on them so we can get the games we want.

I guess I'll shut up now!
        all of Jesus none of me.

Comment

Yeah since I joined in 2011, there have been lots of activity going on. Now, I'm not sure what happened. Members suddenly disappeared and less activity has been going on. I think this started after The Silent Spy around end of 2013 or start of 2014...I can't help but staying on the boards because I like to play the games other members have created. :)

I'll still be here! Unless something happens in real life. I played all the games so I come on here sometimes but not as much as before anymore.
          ~ MD12 ~

Comment

Something else I thought of... Even some moderators have quit their position! Which is sad, because all the moderators are/were great, and it's sad that even moderators have lost interest too
            To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
            Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

I just came back on today to check with recent activity, and I agree.
              It's been extremely quiet, when I started back in 2012 the boards
              had a new thread every 10 minutes or so. It was chaotic, but fun and still close knit at the same time.
              I agree with the whole 'the games are getting worse' thing. They seem to go running out of ideas
              and places where Nancy could travel, so the plot lines are harder to come up with.
              I do however still love the company and their efforts to keep going despite the recent downfall
              in purchased games. I replay the older ones all the time, I adore them lots!
              It's sad to see so many people inactive, but I guess we all get into new things and we all are getting
              busier each day so it's understandable. Thank you for pointing this out!
              what if you could go back in time
              and take all those hours of pain
              and replace them with something
              better ?
              -donnie darko

Comment

Yes, there was much more activity in the past. I remember days where I'd come on at the end of the day, click "New Posts" and have like 8 pages to sort through! Now I'm lucky if there's even a full page!

I do think that the quality of the games is to blame. There used to be so much more hype surrounding new games, so there were posts about that. Then, there were constant replays of the older games, and threads about new discoveries that people made.

Most of the partner plays I see listed are of the classic games as opposed to the newer ones, and IMO there's just less to "discover" in the new games as they're really very linear. In the past, you may discover a new object to look at, or conversation item, or optional scene that could be triggered. That's not so much the case anymore.

On top of that, frustration with the games, with the direction of the games, and with HeR in general has left most of the board kind of sad and depressing and people just don't want to participate. Threads like these and threads about game quality and Lani are fun, but after awhile of realizing that HeR just doesn't care makes it hard to keep discussing...it's like preaching to the choir.

Hopefully it turns around. Hopefully.

As for staying around even if I don't like the games so much, I probably won't. I love the community here too, but there's no real section for "off topic discussion" so it's hard to talk about anything but the Nancy Drew games. I understand why those rules exist, of course, but if I'm not playing the games or excited about them, it's hard to really participate.

Of course, I may still come to talk about the old games. Hopefully there's still discussion on those

I took you by the hand and we stood tall
                And remembered our own land, what we lived for...

..........¸×´¨¯¨`+¸There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears
                ..........`·-·*......) And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears
                ................¸.×´Get over your hill and see what you find there
                ..............(..............¸×´¨¯¨`+.¸
                ...............`×.,¸_¸,.×´.©......*·-·' With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair

Comment

I'm wondering if other factors are at play. I'd post a question and then I'd check out AE's, games, theories, and more while waiting for someone to respond. Now, the game itself contains walkthroughs, so I don't need to ask for hints here. I joined before Twitter became a big thing and had to come here to find out the latest HeR information. These days, message boards just aren't that popular in general. I used to be a member of multiple message boards and maintain an active presence, but this is the only one I currently visit. Other people I know have said the same thing. Some of them still have an active online presence in the form of YouTube, tumblr, and other ways, but message boards seem to be a thing of the past. I've noticed that my other forms of social media seem to hold less of a sense of community than they once did, so maybe this has less to do with HeR and the games than we think.
                  SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN
                  SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA
                  CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE
                  ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN
                  WAV TOT SAW CAP ASH
                  TMB DEDGTH SPY MED

SCK2 LCC RED iSHA

...How? I Dare to Play

Do you have concerns about MID? Ask HeR for a demo

Comment

Originally posted by ChicaMisteriosa View Post
                    I'm wondering if other factors are at play. I'd post a question and then I'd check out AE's, games, theories, and more while waiting for someone to respond. Now, the game itself contains walkthroughs, so I don't need to ask for hints here. I joined before Twitter became a big thing and had to come here to find out the latest HeR information. These days, message boards just aren't that popular in general. I used to be a member of multiple message boards and maintain an active presence, but this is the only one I currently visit. Other people I know have said the same thing. Some of them still have an active online presence in the form of YouTube, tumblr, and other ways, but message boards seem to be a thing of the past. I've noticed that my other forms of social media seem to hold less of a sense of community than they once did, so maybe this has less to do with HeR and the games than we think.
                    I agree. Message boards just don't seem to be as popular anymore. Old users leave, whether because they don't enjoy the games anymore or because they don't have time to actively post on the boards, and there are fewer members joining. Now there are strategy guides, hints within the game, and walkthroughs online elsewhere, so players don't come here when they're stuck. If HeR wants the boards to stay popular, they need to give users a reason to come here.

Maybe that's part of reason why there is so much unrest on the boards over the newer games. Most of the members here (including me) are old, sentimental fans who are comparing each new game to our beloved classic games, and it's hard to measure up to them. Most of the new games aren't bad, but the tone of the message boards is overwhelmingly negative. Yes, there are definitely ways that HeR can improve the newer games, and we need to voice our opinions so they know how they can improve. But there have been positive changes as well as negative ones... we just don't talk about them as much. I for one still enjoy the new games, and I'm not going to stop playing them anytime soon. I'll be around the boards (sometimes watching, sometimes posting) for a long time.
                    .......¸¤´¯`¤¸.There is a fine line
                    ...`¤~*...........)..Between knowing when
                    ................¸¤°..To give up
                    ...............(..And when to try harder
                    ................°¤,_,¤°¯°¤,_,¤°

Comment

It's probably a combination of fans moving to other forms of community like HER's facebook page and twitter, where HER is more active in participating, and the linear fashion of the games lately aren't offering much for players to go on hunts for new things to find. We used to have partner plays where players could try doing things in different orders and talk about what happened, because sometimes it would offer new conversation topics or new information. We don't even have as many second chances to discuss, or exciting things that happened, unless if it was a scary game like GTH.
                      Some of us aren't interested in talking about love triangles or drama as much as discussing points of the mystery.

I remember when we'd all get involved in weekend puzzles, or trying to figure out answers to other things like trivia, but trivia questions moved to Facebook. The weekend puzzles on the Amateur Sleuth blog isn't offering as many tricky and new puzzles as it used to. I remember when we'd have to try researching what kind of code we were dealing with and it took us a few days to solve. I think it's because HER is putting most of their energy into games or tidbits for their social media community, and there's nothing wrong with that since that is where most of their fans are now. However, I do miss those fun times we had here!
                      Castle Quote
                      Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
                      Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
                      I love this line!

Comment

The facebook page has almost 200,000 followers, so I think that is a big reason. There is definitely a big community but just not on the boards. Also people have so much media coming at them from so many streams and sources, there is no time to write long, thought out posts anymore, but short one line things or you just "like" something. I think before, people would engage on just a few message boards of things they were super interested in, but now people follow lots and lots of stuff, and so dont have the time to engage deeply.

It's sad to see, though, that even almost half a year after LIE was released its review board has only two pages!

Comment

To be honest, I think the decline in popularity of message boards and forums is to blame for the majority of inactivity. HeR's target audience has a wide age range. Plenty of fans of the Nancy Drew games probably have never used a forum if they are under a certain age.
                          Sleth
                          I'm secretly The Tomato Box Fairy.

Comment

No matter what age I am, I'm still into the Nancy Drew message board for some reason. I think it's because of the games created by other members. I think up until around end of 2013, there have been lots of posts in the Games Discussion boards talking about the games, what happened, favorite moment of the game or something. I think the teaser for MED started to go down but hopefully Sea of Darkness and afterwards, the boards would probably get back on track. Even though Lani Minella would not voice Nancy anymore after SEA but I hope old and new members will come on again and talk about the games. I love to read posts and threads about what members think about the games and favorite scenes or something. Despite the fact there will be new voice actress, I'll still play the games!
                            ~ MD12 ~

Comment

I have to agree with most of the people here when it comes to participation on this forum. I'd say that Facebook and Twitter are definitely the main reason for lack of activity. I myself am an active user on FB, and I think that most fans tend to go there because responses from the company are given out much more quickly. Plus, most people already have FB which makes it easier to not have to make another account. But, it would be nice to bring more people back here again. It's so lonely here now. :(

I'm just going to wait around until SEA gets released. People will become more hyped around that time. ++crosses fingers++

Comment

Working...
                              X