Nancy's New Voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancy's New Voice

What did you think of the new voice for Nancy in the trailer for Midnight in Salem? She only had one line, and all thought was that she sounded nothing like Lani's version of her voice. I haven't really decided if I thought the new voice was good or bad. Based on little clues throughout the series, I think Nancy has to be in her early 20s. I'm also in that age range and I thought the new voice sounded like someone my age.
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN
    SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA
    CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE
    ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN
    WAV TOT SAW CAP ASH
    TMB DEDGTH SPY MED

SCK2 LCC RED iSHA

...How? I Dare to Play

Do you have concerns about MID? Ask HeR for a demo

Didn't like her voice personally but need to hear more overall to form a fair opinion. A few people on the forum doubt if that's actually the new voice actress and maybe a placeholder I'm not sure. As for Nancys age I believe its 19 and doesn't change at any time in series.

Comment

I say 21 because that's the minimum age for driving a rental car in Ireland, as she did in HAU. George is supposed to the same age as Nancy and is interning with Jovich Tech. Such internships usually require the completion of sophomore year at US colleges, which is usually about age 20. From everything we've learned about Ned, he's definitely finished his freshman year at Emerson. I think VEN was the only time she was directly referred to as a teenager, and another character said it, not Nancy.

Yeah, I've put some thought into her age.
      SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN
      SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA
      CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE
      ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN
      WAV TOT SAW CAP ASH
      TMB DEDGTH SPY MED

SCK2 LCC RED iSHA

...How? I Dare to Play

Do you have concerns about MID? Ask HeR for a demo

Comment

I want to think that in SPY they established her age as in the late teens - due to the age she was when her mom died + years elapsed. Not sure though...

Also I always thought Nancy was still in high school (there was a game where the Hardy Boys were in high school, and I assumed they are the same age as Nancy). Ned is in college. It would be weird if someone as intelligent as Nancy who can afford it, didnt go to university.

Comment

I went ahead and found the teaser so I could hear what the new voice actress sounds like, and I do like the sound of her voice, but she said the line rather flat instead of Lani who says it with intrigue. I'm sure that's something the new actress can work on though, especially if she's new.
          Castle Quote
          Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
          Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
          I love this line!

Comment

I'm shocked

I didn't like the voice, but that is because no voice could replace Lani Minella's.I can't believe there is going to be a new Nancy. When I think of the game, all I think of is her famous voice, and the new one sounds nothing like it.

Comment

I don't like her new voice. She sounds nothing like Lani Minella AT ALL. She just doesn't sound as intriguing as Lani does either.

--Derek

Comment

So I went back to listen to SEA teaser online and then the newest game teaser and made me realized the differences in voices. I actually think her new voice is a little better since Nancy is supposed to be around 16-18. I will miss hearing Lani's voice a lot but in my opinion, I think she's getting deeper into 20-30 of age maybe? I can't wait to hear more about this new voice later on this summer. I really hope we hear more before game 33 official trailer releases...
                ~ MD12 ~

Comment

Honestly? (Everyone is going to hate me for this, but) I LOVE Nancy's new voice. It sounds like a young adult and... I don't know... I can see it as Nancy. Lately Lani Minella has sounded jaded and uninspired--yes she IS Nancy and always will be, but I'm okay with this change as I haven't been feeling Nancy from Lani lately. Its sounded like the same thing over and over again with the same set of emotions--little diversity. It's time for Nancy to have a younger voice as she is beginning to sound TOO mature--don't forget that she's only supposed to be 18. I really hope that other fans can accept the new voice and not automatically turn against it just because it's not Lani. Sometimes change is okay and here I think that HeR made the right decision by switching. I'd like to see more (appropriate) emotion showing through the dialogue which is something that's been lacking lately, so hopefully the new voice will bring that. So that's my hopeful and optimistic two cents.

Also, bear in mind that the new voice is NOT supposed to sound like Lani--that would defeat the purpose of changing voice actresses. And I don't think we can judge her abilities off of only 6 words, so I hope people aren't going off of that to say they it's not interesting or whatever. Just because it isn't Lani doesn't mean it's automatically bad...
                  Last edited by sasha&selena; May 15, 2015, 10:50 AM.
                  Nancy Drew fan since 2006
                  Nancy Drew games and medical school don't mix
                  Still can't believe that MID is finally out

Comment

As much as I love Lani Minella as Nancy, I can't deny that I am excited for the new voice. As of right now, I find myself incapable of judging the quality of the voice (in terms of acting, at least) since we only get to hear one small line. But from the voice's tone alone, I definitely like it and can't wait to hear it in the actual game.

Comment

I personally detested the new voice. I watched the trailer a couple of times to listen to it and it made my nose scrunch up in disgust every time. Gut reaction.

It sounded mechanical or too rehearsed or just too inexperienced, maybe? Just terrible. The sad thing was that I really loved the trailer up until the new voice actress talked. All that excitement, ruined in six words.

Get Lani back, HER!

Comment

Originally posted by luckyeclipse View Post
                        I personally detested the new voice. I watched the trailer a couple of times to listen to it and it made my nose scrunch up in disgust every time. Gut reaction.

It sounded mechanical or too rehearsed or just too inexperienced, maybe? Just terrible. The sad thing was that I really loved the trailer up until the new voice actress talked. All that excitement, ruined in six words.

Get Lani back, HER!
                        The thing is, is that it's only six words. I doubt anyone can fully judge someone's voice through six words we've heard over and over in a different voice. Don't get me wrong, I do wish Lani was still voicing Nancy and was thoroughly upset at how the thing was handled, but Lani herself has stated that she's ok with the change. She's a big name voice actress and will do just fine. She doesn't even play the games, and hardly even realized how much she meant to the ND fan community, from her posts on here. I can let go if she can. And besides, I do agree that she sounded a bit old for an 18-21 year old (Not gonna argue Nancy's specific age... I don't care in the slightest :P) and the new one sounds more about that age. I wish we still had Lani but I'm going into the next game with an open mind. I can hardly judge a voice by six little lines!
                        To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
                        Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

I'm wondering if it's even the new voice though. As some have said, it sounds very similar to Bess. Is it possible it's Bess' voice actor? Additionally, HER has said very recently on twitter that they'll introduce the new voice actor at some point in the future. I'm thinking this is merely a stand-in for now.

Comment

Personally.....I never liked Lani Minella's voice for Nancy, I just got used to hearing it. Nothing against the lady because she does a lot of voices but I felt the voice for Nancy was kind of odd. I did like the voice I heard on the teaser and can't wait see what the new voice can do. I think a new change will make the game a bit more exciting and new. Just my thoughts

Comment

IM BACK!!! Missed everyone on here so much!

Ok so, I think her voice is really great! Yes, it's NOTHING like Lani which will be hard to get used to, but it just seems to fit Nancy more in my opinion. I'm sure we'll all get used to it over time!! To be honest, while I loved Lani, sometimes her reactions just didn't sound too realistic to me (don't hate me!) and bothered me. She seems to more and more loose the emotion in Nancy's responses. Don't get me wrong, SO many times she sounded perfect at how she said things and gave Nancy that classic sassiness we all love. But I think the new voice will add on to that sassiness and lets hope that it lives up to our expectations!
                              ... · ؛ ¯ ؛ · .
                              .. .´ .. .. . • . .. )
                              . *. ..........` · ´ . . . .... . · · · · . ...... .. ´ ¯ ` .
                              . . . ` · . ... . . . ..... . ´ . . . . .. . . ` . .*. ...... . )
                              . . . . . . . ` · . . . · ´ . . . . . . . .. . . . ` · . . . ·

I ... CHOOSE ... JESUS

For He sooo Loved the World He Gave His
                              one and only son, that
                              whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life John 3:16
                              .؛ ¯ ؛ · .
                              .. .´ .. .. . • . .. )
                              . *. ..........` · ´ . . . .... . · · · · . ...... .. ´ ¯ ` .
                              . . . ` · . ... . . . ..... . ´ . . . . .. . . ` . .*. ...... . )
                              . . . . . . . ` · . . . · ´ . . . . . . . .. . . . ` · . .

Comment

Working...
                              X