X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lani's voice coaching

Hi everyone... I found this post by Lani

Originally posted by OriginalNancy
    I just don't have the energy or time to spend defending myself and should not have to. I have said countless times that I can sound ANY age, any gender, any accent and any creature--if you want to know the truth. It is not hard for me to sound like a believable baby, let alone a teenager, but I was directed to sound however they wanted Nancy to sound. I have voiced many very very young characters.
    Rock on!
    And I was going to post this idea on that thread but decided this would be a better location. So what I'm wondering is... Do you think Lani was coached by the writer to sound older, so that when the new Nancy came, we would be more inclined to like the "younger sounding" ND voice? Because if I was the writer, and I kept having a Nancy that sounded bright, cheerful, and young (something Lani has clearly stated she can do) like in the early games, and I also had a new Nancy coming up within the next 3-5 years, I'd want to make the fans more disinclined to Lani's voice, and thus the older, sadder Nancy voice was born Thoughts?
    To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
    Olivia Trey Penelope

That would be really sneaky for HeR to do that, and I'd be very disappointed if that was the case. I do miss the "bubbly" Nancy from the earlier games and have wondered so much why HeR wanted Nancy to sound the way she has in recent games. I've yet to hear new Nancy's voice (don't want to look up the ND33 trailer until I finish SEA), but if that's what they were going for -- making Nancy's voice contrast a lot with the new voice so we would be up for the change -- I'll admit that's some clever (and very sneaky) planning ahead.

However, it seems a bit far-fetched to me that they'd do something like that so far in advance. I mean, we obviously don't know how long HeR has been planning on hiring a new voice (whether it was a recent decision or something they've been thinking of for years), but if they wanted a new actress I think they would have done so by now. But I'll admit, it is possible. I'm just not sure how possible.

*sigh* And this all comes down to why HeR wants this in the first place, which they've yet to tell us if I'm not mistaken. So many more questions than answers.

And now that I think about it, if this was true, HeR must not realize just how much these games mean to the fans. No difference in coaching Lani would cause us to suddenly want someone else to voice Nancy.
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Originally posted by Ndfan1234 View Post
      Hi everyone... I found this post by Lani

And I was going to post this idea on that thread but decided this would be a better location. So what I'm wondering is... Do you think Lani was coached by the writer to sound older, so that when the new Nancy came, we would be more inclined to like the "younger sounding" ND voice? Because if I was the writer, and I kept having a Nancy that sounded bright, cheerful, and young (something Lani has clearly stated she can do) like in the early games, and I also had a new Nancy coming up within the next 3-5 years, I'd want to make the fans more disinclined to Lani's voice, and thus the older, sadder Nancy voice was born Thoughts?
      Hi Ndfan1234,

This is not the case whatsoever. Furthermore, Her Interactive never asked Lani to make her voice sound older when voicing Nancy Drew. Please understand that this was an agonizing decision for us and one that we didn’t make lightly. Recasting an iconic character like Nancy Drew is no small task but we promise to bring our fans a voice we feel is equally as true to Nancy’s spirit and personality.

We know that for some fans, change is hard, but trust that our goal remains to continue the legacy of developing award-winning Nancy Drew games for many years to come.

Best regards,

The Her Interactive Team

Comment

Originally posted by Her Interactive View Post
        Hi Ndfan1234,

This is not the case whatsoever. Furthermore, Her Interactive never asked Lani to make her voice sound older when voicing Nancy Drew. Please understand that this was an agonizing decision for us and one that we didn’t make lightly. Recasting an iconic character like Nancy Drew is no small task but we promise to bring our fans a voice we feel is equally as true to Nancy’s spirit and personality.

We know that for some fans, change is hard, but trust that our goal remains to continue the legacy of developing award-winning Nancy Drew games for many years to come.

Best regards,

The Her Interactive Team
        Okay, okay. Someone's lying here. Either Lani is making an excuse because she can't do young voices anymore or HeR is trying to cover up their mistakes...
        Hum... I think both are possible but if the Admin wants to reply to this, I have a question: How do you know no one asked Lani to sound older? I mean someone could have in passing. Just curious!
        all of Jesus none of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Interactive View Post
          Hi Ndfan1234,

Best regards,

The Her Interactive Team
          I do appreciate the response, and I know there must be some reason (hopefully a good one!) that Lani is being replaced... However, like WWNDD12 said, someone has to be lying, or at least misunderstanding. Because Lani herself has said she was coached by someone at HeR to sound older, but now you're contradicting that statement... And I don't mean that to be rude, it's just with two opposite statements, one has to be wrong I would assume that Lani is the one misunderstanding and/or lying, since this is such an official post from you guys directly saying you didn't coach her, but on the other hand, Lani was very adamant that she was directed to sound that way and since I have lost a bit of trust with HeRinteractive for a variety of different reasons lately, well... I must say I believe Lani (Though I am still looking forward to what games you produce next! )
          To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
          Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

No offense to Lani but her behavior recently is what makes me hesitant to believe what she's been saying. She's been acting extremely defensive and been directly calling people out on their opinions of her. Obviously she has every right to defend herself and her talents but the way she's going about it strikes me the wrong way if I'm being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebeex3 View Post
              No offense to Lani but her behavior recently is what makes me hesitant to believe what she's been saying. She's been acting extremely defensive and been directly calling people out on their opinions of her. Obviously she has every right to defend herself and her talents but the way she's going about it strikes me the wrong way if I'm being honest.
              That is a good point...

My threads:

R4JC!!
              Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

First of all, this is a VERY cool thread, Will! :D

A VERY good point, bumblebee! :D Lani is a very good voice actress and I do agree that she was acting strange around the time when the news was released.

Originally posted by WWNDD12 View Post
                Okay, okay. Someone's lying here. Either Lani is making an excuse because she can't do young voices anymore or HeR is trying to cover up their mistakes...
                Hum... I think both are possible but if the Admin wants to reply to this, I have a question: How do you know no one asked Lani to sound older? I mean someone could have in passing. Just curious!
                Maybe Lani did the 'older' decision on her own (with possible coaching) but HeR didn't agree with it and therefore claimed 0 responsibility for it? But I don't think they're lying. Maybe it was just a confusion?

Interesting nonetheless!
                Last edited by WeepingAngel1; June 29, 2015, 03:33 PM.
                Austin, Theatre Buff!

Current Role: Luigi in "The Explorer's Clubl"
                Recent Role: Leaf Coneybear in "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"

Comment

How can Lani not get defensive honestly
                  She seems to be a very talented actress and she's worked in countless video games - we should just feel lucky that she's been able to do 32 straight games for HeR instead of questioning her behavior
                  If her voice sounded "too old" uhh wouldn't she have been replaced earlier, not so deep into the role? I definitely think something fishy is happening and if I had to guess I'd say HeR had a blatant misconception as to what the fans want out of conversations in the games these days. #TeamLani
                  I need
                  ûTo get better
                  ûTo do well
                  ûTo be happier
                  ûTo be loved
                  ûTo get richer

üObama

thx for the sig ndsolver<3

Originally posted by iamnancydrew:)
                  How many big island bucks would I have to pay for him to give me a strand off of his succulent pony tail?

#BLACKLIVESMATTER

we love u Lani!!

Comment

Originally posted by asiagoAttorney View Post
                    How can Lani not get defensive honestly
                    She seems to be a very talented actress and she's worked in countless video games - we should just feel lucky that she's been able to do 32 straight games for HeR instead of questioning her behavior
                    If her voice sounded "too old" uhh wouldn't she have been replaced earlier, not so deep into the role? I definitely think something fishy is happening and if I had to guess I'd say HeR had a blatant misconception as to what the fans want out of conversations in the games these days. #TeamLani
                    Thanks for saying this! I think we should just appreciate all of what she's done for the games, and let her move on. She's not coming back, so let's not give her slack about it!
                    "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." -Matthew 7:7

Jeopardy! ND Style! R1 R3 Play my game! Name That ND Animal! A PBM Game

Comment

She was fired from a game company she worked for for a decade and a half without good reason i would be mad too

Comment

Yeah, I am more inclined to believe Lani. HER has been doing some very questionable things lately. They quickly responded to this thread, not to give us some more information on why they chose to fire Lani, but rather to imply she lied. This is not helping ease the situation, but rather making it worse, in my opinion.
                        [Stop homophobia]

Comment

Whoever wrote that post from the Her account can't possibly know everything every employee has ever said to Lani. The writer who's done most of the recent games and who would have coached the VO sessions isn't even at Her anymore. I think it's likely that an employee said something to Lani in passing like, "the fans are older now so maybe make Nancy sound like a young adult" or something and Lani has made it sound like a much bigger thing than it was, as though Her made some major decision to make Nancy sound older when really like one employee made a small comment. I think thats more likely than it is that she just made the whole thing up. I don't think it's very cool of Her to make it sound like she just out-and-out lied since theres no way for them to know if at some point someone told her to sound older.

Comment

Lots of interesting theories!

Couldn't it be that the person from Her that answered the thread is the person in charge of VA's? Or they know who it is and asked them before they answered? Or because of how much fan backlash there has been it has been discussed at Her and they all know Lani was not officially told to sound older?

If it was an offhanded comment by someone and not an official order by the person in charge of VA's then Lani should have looked into it more, so it has to be more than that.

Also, Her is not actually allowed to tell us why they replaced Lani. Just like we aren't allowed to discuss other member's accounts, businesses are not allowed to discuss things like why they replaced an employee.

It is going to be very strange to hear a different voice be Nancy but it is in the the best interests of Her to make it the best person they can find.
                            He has showed you, O man, what is good.
                            And what does the LORD require of you?
                            To act justly and to love mercy
                            and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8

Comment

Originally posted by veja View Post
                              Lots of interesting theories!

Couldn't it be that the person from Her that answered the thread is the person in charge of VA's? Or they know who it is and asked them before they answered? Or because of how much fan backlash there has been it has been discussed at Her and they all know Lani was not officially told to sound older?

If it was an offhanded comment by someone and not an official order by the person in charge of VA's then Lani should have looked into it more, so it has to be more than that.
                              I always thought the writers would be in charge of the VAs to an extent (since the videos on youtube show Nik and Katie working with the VAs). Since Katie is no longer working there, I'd have to assume it's someone else at HER who is responding to this. But who knows?

Lani has said in the past that Nancy wasn't allowed to use slang - Maybe that's where the older voice thing came from?

Lani herself has done many voices - I've played other games in which she voices children - So she clearly can do a younger voice.

Comment

Working...
                              X