Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure she means pre-planning the release process. We'll start to get information in August like usual.

I'm 90% sure they did make MID in their own engine as they wanted it to be the last one in that engine, but then they realized they would need to switch to Unity with MID instead of the next one because otherwise it would "just not be feasible" (I remember a press release or something like that that indicated such) and ND34 would have probably taken two years to come out in that case. So maybe all they have to do now is port their product over (like they did in the LIE demo video) and polish it up?

Comment

• ...If they're still in the "pre-design" stages a year after announcing the delay and 6 months away from end of the original "hopefully 2016" window, I don't care how little game design experience the new CEO and remaining like 5 marketing employees have, I don't know how anyone at that company can believe the game will be releasing anytime soon. I wish they would stop stringing along longtime fans and telling us to "stay tuned" for a year straight. Sorry haha, I'm just frustrated. :/
      Last edited by AutumnMemories; June 21, 2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• This is exactly what was said:

" There are still plans for MID, but we don’t have any guesstimates to when the release date is. There is still a lot of pre-planning to do in the design of it. Stay tuned!"

Pre-planning the design means they are just at the very beginning. Prob doing character designs, environments, etc. They probably have a lot more work to do in an immersive environment, for ex, a player can look up at the cieling, as opposed to the static tableau they have been using. It is really annoying how they keep posting on FB it is coming out in 2016, but on the blog they say something totally different.

It seems to me like they are pivoting to C&C and the adventure series has become a kind of pet project to do in their spare time. Even the FB page is more or less about C&C now and no one comments or engages with those posts.

The company seems really lost. They dont have the manpower to run one company profitably, let alone two. I am worried they have overextended themselves.

Comment

• Could it be that by "the design of it", Little Jackalope means "it" to be "the release date"? It's kind of awkward to phrase it that way, but that could kinda fit in with phoenix star's concept, of them planning the release/marketing and not the game itself.

I dunno. I'm personally of the opinion that they're just starting to make the game now, but like I said, sometimes I misunderstand the blog posts. Perhaps this isn't as bad as we think, but of course there's no way to know until if/when information starts to come out
          neverending song
          2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
          So far from me too is your home
          to which I can never find my way
          your fairy tale...

Comment

• Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
            This is exactly what was said:

" There are still plans for MID, but we don’t have any guesstimates to when the release date is. There is still a lot of pre-planning to do in the design of it. Stay tuned!"

Pre-planning the design means they are just at the very beginning. Prob doing character designs, environments, etc. They probably have a lot more work to do in an immersive environment, for ex, a player can look up at the cieling, as opposed to the static tableau they have been using. It is really annoying how they keep posting on FB it is coming out in 2016, but on the blog they say something totally different.

It seems to me like they are pivoting to C&C and the adventure series has become a kind of pet project to do in their spare time. Even the FB page is more or less about C&C now and no one comments or engages with those posts.

The company seems really lost. They dont have the manpower to run one company profitably, let alone two. I am worried they have overextended themselves.
            I agree. It's frustrating that for a while there it was said on the FB page that it would be releasing fall of this year, but now the way LJ talks, it's not even past beginning stages. Those two things just don't make sense to me. And I am also getting really frustrated with the lack of ANY answers. Surely they can say more than "idk" every once in a while. Someone at the company has to know something. The fact they aren't saying anything, when we were also told that once C&C was out we'd be given more info, really frustrates/worries me.
            ²iLoVeNaNcYDrEw²

Comment

I've noticed this too, especially how there are more likes and interaction with tidbits about the pc games vs advertisements for Codes and Clues. And...
              I've been really baffled about this; why are they doing so much advertising in their fan base when we've said we're not interested in Codes and Clues? I thought the idea of this app was to reach to new fans and a younger audience. Here on the message board we've said we won't buy the games if they become a part of the hidden object genre, and every time they release something for the ipad, a lot of us say we don't have the device and we prefer playing the games on the pc.
              It's not bad to have done a little advertising, because obviously Nancy Drew fans are going to be the first ones to want a Nancy Drew game, but they're doing so much it's kind of rubbing fans like me the wrong way when all we want is the next pc game. I think it would be good if they made a separate fb page for Codes and Clues to continue posting things about the game and so that fans of it may enjoy it, but so that their main fan base doesn't feel overcrowded with posts about a game that got in the way of MID. I know that sounds harsh, but personally I wouldn't mind waiting a long time for a good game, but to know that production got stopped for a game that we didn't want is frustrating.
              Castle Quote
              Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
              Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
              I love this line!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyokai View Post
                I know that sounds harsh, but personally I wouldn't mind waiting a long time for a good game, but to know that production got stopped for a game that we didn't want is frustrating.
                I don't think that's harsh. Those most recent comments from the blog definitely sound like they stopped MID to make Codes and Clues. I think that was a really lousy decision for them to make. That takes advantage of our loyalty in waiting around so they can scratch this persistent itch they've had about making tablet games. Which is baffling, since previous attempts at that have flopped, and we've continued to express no interest in it. Saying they want to switch game engines and need time for that is fine. Saying that and then not even working on MID for a year is not cool.

They could have gotten themselves settled in Unity before working on C&C, tried to get C&C out before SEA or split the team to work on MID and C&C concurrently. They've told us nothing about MID since last August. The update in December was just about C&C, and any other mention of MID has been "We have nothing to say." Again, if it was just taking this long to get used to Unity, that would be frustrating, but okay. But asking for our patience for them to ignore us feels rude.

And I don't buy that they have don't have any "updates" or "news to share." They just don't want to. We're not asking for fully put together trailers/teasers or screenshots. There's plenty that they could share without spoiling details about the game. Someone mentioned they could just talk about what they're doing for the week, and previously LJ has mentioned that she's writing the strategy guide or finding clips for the trailers. I would totally even settle for a timeframe in which we could expect information, like "We'll have an update/estimate for release date three months from now," which could then be however far out they needed it.

After this, I think it will be difficult for HeR to maintain their reputation for listening and communicating with fans. Even if they're banking on MID being so spectacular that it fulfills everyone's expectations, why can't they be talking about that now? And I don't think it's possible for any game to be good enough to justify how they're handling this now.

Comment

• the thing that is weird is that they have no staff outside of marketing and the creative director, so if they are outsourcing the games, they really dont need to learn unity. That is one of the bonuses of outsourcing.

KYOKAI
                  They made a FB page for C&C it has 49 likes. when no one showed interest in it, they started using PC Game page as de facto C&C page. I think too, with all these pics of 5 year old kids filling their feed, it is going to make adult or teen players unsubscribe

tsukiakari

I think if it was about releasing it, they would say "so much work to do for the launch" But because they use the word design, i think that means everything that must be done BEFORE they hand off the project to the programmers.

This switch to unity must be expensive, as well as outsourcing, I wonder if they were hoping for C&C cash to pay for MID. Before they had their team and software, so they could just continue without putting up a ton of cash in advance. BUt I dont think many people care about C&C. C&C must have been really expensive to get off the ground. It is just so weird they arent marketing it. If you google it it barely appears off their own site. The longer they dont release a game, is also longer that they have no revenue stream.
                  Last edited by paperstreet; June 22, 2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• 1. They never said they game would be released in October, this is just a rumor because it is the most logical date due to the theme of the game and past patterns from the company.
                    2. I am sure they have more people working than marketing people and a creative director. We have no idea that they are outsourcing. Everything we hear about the company's status is from humors so I don't think any of us know what truly is going on.
                    3. They told us that when they were working on Codes and Clues that they were putting MID on the back burner and once Codes and Clues was launched MID would be there main priority.
                    4. Even if they were doing an October release that means that they start dropping clues about 2-3 months before the game is released. If we dont hear anything by end of July beginning of August then I think it is safe to say an October release is not going to happen.

We can't start panicking yet. Her has never promised us a game and then not delivered besides the last Dossier game and let's be honest, not many people shed a tear over it. I am really frustrated because Her is normally so opened with us about everything and now that they are not it's upsetting, but how many game companies are as open as Her? It is kinda rare. I think a lot of us are expecting way more info than what is possible at the moment. Plus, I guess the secrecy will make me want to play MID even more when it comes out. I will def pre order this one and I rarely pre order (I dont really care about phone charms).

Comment

• Originally posted by 1999BroadwayPlz View Post
                      1. They never said they game would be released in October, this is just a rumor because it is the most logical date due to the theme of the game and past patterns from the company.
                      2. I am sure they have more people working than marketing people and a creative director. We have no idea that they are outsourcing. Everything we hear about the company's status is from humors so I don't think any of us know what truly is going on.
                      3. They told us that when they were working on Codes and Clues that they were putting MID on the back burner and once Codes and Clues was launched MID would be there main priority.
                      4. Even if they were doing an October release that means that they start dropping clues about 2-3 months before the game is released. If we dont hear anything by end of July beginning of August then I think it is safe to say an October release is not going to happen.

We can't start panicking yet. Her has never promised us a game and then not delivered besides the last Dossier game and let's be honest, not many people shed a tear over it. I am really frustrated because Her is normally so opened with us about everything and now that they are not it's upsetting, but how many game companies are as open as Her? It is kinda rare. I think a lot of us are expecting way more info than what is possible at the moment. Plus, I guess the secrecy will make me want to play MID even more when it comes out. I will def pre order this one and I rarely pre order (I dont really care about phone charms).
                      1) they have been cut and pasting autumn 2016 for the past 6 months on their facebook page
                      2) they are down to just that amount of employees, it has been written about in the trade press, it is not rumour. If they have no staff, they have to be outsourcing by default. Thats not a judgment, it should actually make the process go more quickly, less training for the new engine.
                      3) HeR used to be very open, it no longer is, since the change in leadership. Not a critique, just an observation.

Not panicking, just discussing, as this is the only thing really there is to talk about : )

Comment

2) they are down to just that amount of employees, it has been written about in the trade press, it is not rumour.
                        Where/when was this, though? I've never seen any concrete information about Her having that amount of employees, so I must have missed something big.

Also, I read recently that at least one version of Unity has been made available for free to the public, so for all we know, that's the version Her is using. I think if they wanted to go with a really fancy engine, they could have licensed Unreal, which people have used to make extremely realistic (think Pixar level) graphics. I think they're going with Unity because it can be used for multiple platforms and it's an engine used by more than one company, therefore streamlined, with none of the (possible) quirks of their original homegrown engine. Plus, I'd like to hope that they want to keep the requirements of the games down, for humble folk such as myself who don't have high-end gaming computers. (I think the majority of their audience don't have expensive computers anyway, so it would probably be a good idea for them to do this.)

I agree with Daae48 as well. I've been of the mind for months now that they probably have a wealth of info to pick from and share with us, but they just don't want to do that anymore. Honestly, we don't even know if - being under new management - they'll continue their old marketing techniques of beginning to hype up the game several months before release. After all, they didn't do that for C&C.
                        neverending song
                        2008-2018

your fairy tale...

Comment

• Originally posted by tsukiakari View Post
                          but they just don't want to do that anymore. Honestly, we don't even know if - being under new management - they'll continue their old marketing techniques of beginning to hype up the game several months before release. After all, they didn't do that for C&C.
                          If you think about it most children's apps don't make a lot of hype before they go to the app store, plus the app isnt for the same group (us) who got used to there being a ton of info about the game before it comes out.

And I am on the same page as you, I have never seen from any reliable source that Her is down to only a handful of employees.

Comment

If you think about it most children's apps don't make a lot of hype before they go to the app store, plus the app isnt for the same group (us) who got used to there being a ton of info about the game before it comes out.
                            Honestly I really don't know anything about how kids' apps are marketed! I'm just using C&C as an example because it's the only product Her has released recently. Even SEA was released back before things changed drastically, so we can't really assume that MID will be marketed in the same way, I think. Or at least, I wanna stay skeptical because Her has certainly surprised me a lot so far
                            neverending song
                            2008-2018

your fairy tale...

Comment

1. They never said they game would be released in October, this is just a rumor because it is the most logical date due to the theme of the game and past patterns from the company.
                              It's not rumor.

I asked Nancy Drew Games about MID back in March 2016, and their response came back as:

Nancy Drew: Codes & Clues launches this spring and then Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem will launch later in the year. Stay tuned and stay sleuthy!
                              So the expectation for a mid to late 2016 release date is perfectly justified.

Now... if Little Jackalope is saying something different, I suggest asking her directly for clarification. She's always been very friendly and approachable. She may not have permission to say MID's been delayed (if that's really the case) but likely she can provide some kind of helpful clarification as to whether we'll still see it in 2016 or not.

I'm more curious to know how Codes & Clues sold. It's really not something I've heard a lot of talk of (and I recommended it to my niece and sister-in-law but they didn't like it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubberlad View Post
                                It's not rumor.

Now... if Little Jackalope is saying something different, I suggest asking her directly for clarification. She's always been very friendly and approachable. She may not have permission to say MID's been delayed (if that's really the case) but likely she can provide some kind of helpful clarification as to whether we'll still see it in 2016 or not.

I'm more curious to know how Codes & Clues sold. It's really not something I've heard a lot of talk of (and I recommended it to my niece and sister-in-law but they didn't like it).
                                Yah, Little Jackalope hasn't said anything about it being delayed to my knowledge and I always read the boards. And I saw Codes and Clues did really well on the itunes app store, I saw adds for it on the first page, like in the top 20 or something. At least, I thought I did.

¸.•*¨¯¨*ّ¸
                                ((
                                *•.¸_¸.•*¨¯¨*•.
                                .•*.....*•.¸_¸))
                                *•.¸_¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸¸.
                                ّ*¨¯¨*•. ...¥.¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.

؛• ¸_¸.•؛

Comment

Working...
                                X